Do chimney cleaning logs work?

/ Do chimney cleaning logs work? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
We have a small woodstove snaked into the fireplace opening with stainless tubing and we burn about a quarter cord of wood a year, That wood is kiln dried hardwood cutoffs plus those pressed hardwood blocks commercially available. We burn the stove hot and I have burned wood for decades at a much greater rate when I lived in the north. Maybe 8 cords a year so I know the drill.

Considering such little use, does anyone know if one of those logs that supposedly burns creosote would work in my situation? Sure would be easy.

As a secondary question, how often do you think I should move the stove and shake out whatever has fallen down the chimney or pipe? Or do I even need to bother?

/ Do chimney cleaning logs work? #2  
If you take that chimney log,,, and tie it to two ropes,,,
and drag it up and down the chimney,, it will remove the creosote. :thumbsup:

:laughing:

/ Do chimney cleaning logs work? #3  
They work great! I highly recommend them!

That is, if your definition of "work" is: scam money from unsuspecting rubes, then yea, they work great!

/ Do chimney cleaning logs work?
I'm sensing a pattern unfolding here...

/ Do chimney cleaning logs work? #6  
I like the CAD's method best!!

SR

/ Do chimney cleaning logs work?
   / Do chimney cleaning logs work? #8  
I burn dry wood and have never cleaned a chimney burning wood for over 40 years. All I know about those logs is according to a documentary on market place they don't replace cleaning a chimney with a brush.

/ Do chimney cleaning logs work? #9  
We use those logs as summertime entertainment. One of us gets on the roof and tosses the log down the chimney to someone there that has to catch it. Loads of good "clean" fun and fit for the whole family!

Other than that....get a chimney sweep...super cheap and effective.

/ Do chimney cleaning logs work? #10  
If you take that chimney log,,, and tie it to two ropes,,,
and drag it up and down the chimney,, it will remove the creosote. :thumbsup:

:laughing:

That’s a good idea. Can you add some detail? Type of rope, knots photos etc. I want to do this- maybe start a side hustle!