Gas logs or insert in old COAL fireplace?

/ Gas logs or insert in old COAL fireplace? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I recently purchased a 1800's home which has been remodeled but maintains a lot of its original character.

There are 2 separate coal fireplaces which I'd like to perhaps switch over to either wood burners (preferable) or at least a good gas log/gas log insert fireplace. My main goal is purely aesthetics as I have a forced air system for heat. But I love a wood fire. I know that the design of a coal fireplace will not simply allow wood logs, but I was wondering whether you know of a shallow box insert or perhaps at least a GOOD LOOKING (logs) gas log insert.

I have no desire for the 'Bic lighter' appearance of gas logs. I'd rather put a candle in the coal fireplace.

But this is the first time I've ever owned a house with coal fireplaces. I don't really want to burn coal. I'm not 100% the chimney's are safe and functional, but before I have someone come out and check, I want to know whether something exists which I would use anyway. I suspect they do, as the fireplace in the living room currently has a wood burning stove with the flue ducted into the chimney.

/ Gas logs or insert in old COAL fireplace? #2  
An open fireplace with logs will burn a lot of gas and suck all the heat from the house up the flue. An insert will at least provide heat. You may also be able to put a wood insert in too but you need to have someone take a look at the flue and measure the space.

/ Gas logs or insert in old COAL fireplace? #3  
Most of the coal burning fire places I have ever seen are real shallow.
If your's is the same. I'm Not sure they make gas logs that will fit

/ Gas logs or insert in old COAL fireplace? #4  
An open fireplace with logs will burn a lot of gas and suck all the heat from the house up the flue. An insert will at least provide heat. You may also be able to put a wood insert in too but you need to have someone take a look at the flue and measure the space.
Out in ventless logs and seal up the chimney and you get a LOT of heat!

/ Gas logs or insert in old COAL fireplace? #5  
Unless someone has re-worked those 1800's chimneys, you can about bet they aren't safe. MIL had a shallow depth coal grate in ground floor of 2 story + high pitch attic 1880's house she love to burn coal in.....one day I was up in the attic, walked over to the exposed brick of the chimney and could look thru the joints of the brick to see the sparks go by ! Mortar of that period was lime/sand and it leeches out of the joints over the years from rain water/etc....plus they didn't use flue liners...none of them are really safe. Hard, Portland cement based mortars didn't come around until the early 20th century for the most part.

You can get flexible stainless steel liners, whether you could work it down the chimney or not is the question. As for a shallow insert, IF you have enough (or can build out) hearth depth, you could use one like we have....a Regency brand "Hearth Heater" model that most of the stove sticks out in the room, only a small amount needed back in the fireplace opening, unlike the typical insert that is nearly flush with the front of the fireplace. We love ours.

H21 Wood Fireplace Insert | Regency

enhance

/ Gas logs or insert in old COAL fireplace? #6  
where I am coal is a LOT cheaper than wood, and you don't have to keep feeding it all night, coal lasts the whole night. propane is VERY expensive compared to almost anything else. if you don't have natural gas where you are, unless you are very well off financially, stay away from propane for heating. where I am, electric heat would be a REAL killer!. unless a ground source heat pump was used..