DK-40 loader handle, bolt missing

/ DK-40 loader handle, bolt missing #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
KL-401 loader on my 2010 DK-40 has a single handle to move the QA pads/pins to lock from unlocked position.
Recently the bolt and washer attaching the lever handle took a walk in my driveway gravel, never to be seen again.
Can someone tell me what size bolt and length and threads/inch the QA lever uses?
Dealer doesn't have a reference in the parts list...
TIA for any help :)

CM

/ DK-40 loader handle, bolt missing
What? No one has any info?

Answer is: I found the part # and bolt size on MIE's website.
It is a HHCS 8mm X 20mm.
Michigan Iron/Equipment.

This does NOT solve the underlying problem unfortunately; which is: the single handle lock/unlock mechanism that attaches with above mentioned bolt and single flat washer ends up loosening, then the handle hole rounds off the edges of the odd shaped piece that fits into the handle's hole, until it has worn down enough to render the lock/unlock handle and piece it attaches to USELESS!

If anyone knows when Kioti redesigned the loaders to return to skid-steer type two handles to lock/unlock the QA "tool carriers", I'd appreciate any info on the model year/part number, etc.
Ultimately, I'd like to retrofit to the newer two handle design to replace my existing single handle 'unfixable' design.

TIA for any help!

CM, out.

Below are pics of the temp fix of the replacement bolt placed in the drilled out hole in the "tool carrier" frame. Next the hole after drilling out the snapped off bolt which caught the loader bucket QA ridge and bent the handle until the bolt snapped off. Last pic shows the handle with a pipe wrench that I attached a 32" steel cheater pipe to, to bend the handle back to close to original shape. It is rendered 'fixed' for now, until it breaks again- which due to the flawed design is unfortunately inevitible.
Questions, comments, ideas, suggestions- welcomed...

Attachments

• 20230124_161236.jpg
    20230124_161236.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • 20230124_161205.jpg
    20230124_161205.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • 20230124_161129.jpg
    20230124_161129.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
   / DK-40 loader handle, bolt missing #4  
CM, nice job on the temporary fix!

For anwers on compatible parts to retrofit your model year to a two-handle system, the first guy I'd call would be...yep, Bob Piro at MIE! He'll likely know off the top if there's a direct retrofit. But even if there isn't, he may know of something that would come close. With your fabrication skills, you might then be able to make it work. (y)

3 point,
Thanks!
I was dreading the snapped off ez-out routine which something like this often turns into,:rolleyes:
Fortunately both the bolt drill out and the handle re-bend went smoothly:D. No need to break out the Ez-out kit - yeah! BTW, I used Rust-off, a German spray formula I used to use in my foreign auto shop. It frees up rusted nuts bolts, etc. It is sold by Wurth company. It's like gold in a spray bottle!
Too bad the 'toolrack' mechanism is so sloppy after 13+ years of abuse, coupled with piss poor design...
Have a call into Bob; will have to see if he's free to discuss possible remedies for the problem.
Hopefully he has already seem this and has some ideas.
Has anyone else solved this problem on their KL-401 or earlier single handle QA loader tool rack?
If so please chime in.
TIA,
CM

Last edited:
PROBLEM SOLVED-mostly....

I spoke to MIE's Bob Piro, and we discussed the issues I'm having, to which he said that the parts are available to rebuild the tool rack as needed. He cautioned that if the rack pads are bent or racked or twisted from contacting the bucket squarely, then the rack might not be able to lock in place as it would from the factory.

He clarified that an upgrade from single handle tool rack to two handle later models are NOT available to fit my KL-401 loader. He further stated that the single handle fitment to the handle link, (pivot piece) does allow for removal/replacement from the tool carrier frame bracket. The handle link is fit into the triangular bracket, (with hole), that comes welded to the frame bracket. For more clarity, refer to the parts breakdown on MIE's web site which shows exploded views of the tool rack and associated loader and tractor parts by model, etc.

Note that he said if the single handle's hole is worn out of shape, or the corresponding handle link,(pivot piece) has it's shape worn to where the handle has excessive play before it engages the lock/unlock function, it is best to replace both pieces.

I'm placing an order for the parts necessary to hopefully rebuild my tool carrier to as close to factory as possible. I've got to take some measurements on the tool rack to make sure none of the pads or other crucial parts are tweaked out of alignment, before I try to restore the tool rack.

I'm going to drop a pic of the tool rack assembly here for purposes of further clarity. And a big shout out to Bob at MIE for his assistance in fixing my confusion over what solutions were possible for the issues I am having with my tool rack.

The below pics are from MIE's site and their excellent efforts to make searching for Kioti tractor parts much easier for the DIY crowd. Thanks, MIE for your continued support of TBN and it's members and other Kioti owners!
Note you can click on the pics and drag/drop etc. The handle link (pivot piece) is part #9. Hower over any part # box for part # and price...

Attachments

• 20230127_122944.jpg
    20230127_122944.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20230127_122938.jpg
    20230127_122938.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
   / DK-40 loader handle, bolt missing #7  
CM, great update! Looking forward to hearing how the project goes.

I'll second the shout-out to MIE. Bob and Denise Piro run a first-rate business.

3 Point,
Again, thanks. I try to put a lot of thought into what I write here on TBN so it will document what I've done and possibly be useful to others.

I did find out a few things today: I took measurements to verify whether my tool rack is bent or twisted/wracked, etc. I seems not to be damaged and when I had cleaned up the bucket lip and the rack pads everything fit well and I was able to lock the single handle without an excessive level of force on the handle. I use a velcro strap normally used to hang extension cords etc. to secure the single handle to the rack's cross tube. This assures me that the handle and lock mechanism cannot come loose without my removing the strap. Much extra piece of mind.

I had, in the past found the handle in the near release position due to it's inability to stay locked on its own. This presented a potentially dangerous outcome when ever this occurred.
For the moment I am going to wait and see if the handle loosens up; at which time I will replace both the handle and center (pivot piece) handle link.

CM out