DIY Pond?

/ DIY Pond? #31  
Very nice finished project! I'm glad it worked out. Obviously, you either got the necessary permits or didn't need them.

I have a very small "frog pond" on my 25 acres that I tried to expand a few years back. I had just started when I got a visit from the DCNR with a stop work order. The pond is so small (8' x 10'), I didn't think I needed a permit since I was only planning to double it's size. After filling out the necessary application, the permit was denied due to possible wetland encroachment. The required environmental study would have cost almost as much as my house so I abandoned the idea.

It's amazing to me what you can and can't do on your own property these days
How did they know that you where working on your pond?

Back when I lived in CA, I had a friend with some land that was next to the Park. He and the Park people fought each other constantly. They accused him of something, they locked his gates, they blocked him from getting to his land and so on. He sued them, he won, he and his lawyer got paid. This went on year after year. In a good year, he would make $60,000 just suing the Park District. One year he found some receipts in their dumpster and was able to get a bunch of people fired for embezzling Park money. He loved it!!!

When he dug a pond on his place, he didn't get a permit, or tell them anything. He just brought in a dozer and had the guy clear the trees and dig the pond. The Park showed up the next week with helicopters and accused him of destroying wetland, endangered habitat and causing erosion to spawning areas ten miles away. He told them that the pond had always been there and that he was just cleaning it out. Since it had always been there, he was allowed to fix it. They had tons of pictures of his place, but none of them showed a pond with all the trees in the way. He won that one too!!!!

/ DIY Pond? #32  
Very nice finished project! I'm glad it worked out. Obviously, you either got the necessary permits or didn't need them.

I have a very small "frog pond" on my 25 acres that I tried to expand a few years back. I had just started when I got a visit from the DCNR with a stop work order. The pond is so small (8' x 10'), I didn't think I needed a permit since I was only planning to double it's size. After filling out the necessary application, the permit was denied due to possible wetland encroachment. The required environmental study would have cost almost as much as my house so I abandoned the idea.

It's amazing to me what you can and can't do on your own property these days.
unfortunately we don’t own our land we have the illusion of owning it … it is rented out by the government…

/ DIY Pond? #33  
How did they know that you where working on your pond?

Back when I lived in CA, I had a friend with some land that was next to the Park. He and the Park people fought each other constantly. They accused him of something, they locked his gates, they blocked him from getting to his land and so on. He sued them, he won, he and his lawyer got paid. This went on year after year. In a good year, he would make $60,000 just suing the Park District. One year he found some receipts in their dumpster and was able to get a bunch of people fired for embezzling Park money. He loved it!!!

When he dug a pond on his place, he didn't get a permit, or tell them anything. He just brought in a dozer and had the guy clear the trees and dig the pond. The Park showed up the next week with helicopters and accused him of destroying wetland, endangered habitat and causing erosion to spawning areas ten miles away. He told them that the pond had always been there and that he was just cleaning it out. Since it had always been there, he was allowed to fix it. They had tons of pictures of his place, but none of them showed a pond with all the trees in the way. He won that one too!!!!
The pond location can be seen from the main road and I probably told too many people about the plan.

/ DIY Pond?
This weekend

Resized_20221125_151305.jpeg

/ DIY Pond?
Here is a view from up above of my whole place. Looks a lot smaller from up high.
SNAP_0020.jpg

This is the smoothed out piles of dirt that came out of the pond. It's smoother than it looks. The different color in the middle is the shale that is still piled up for the house build. We are going to put the house right in the middle of the property.

SNAP_0025.jpg

SNAP_0026.jpg

/ DIY Pond? #40  
Nice