DIY Fire Starter’s

/ DIY Fire Starter’s #21  
torch.jpg

:)

Bruce

/ DIY Fire Starter’s #22  
Extra virgin? ;)

Hand sanitizer, might have to try that, just to see if nothing else. I use fatwood too.

Load wood, piece of fatwood on top, a few pieces of smallish wood and there it is, a nice fire.

Fatwood for the last 3 years and forever...

KC

/ DIY Fire Starter’s #23  
I know other folks that have nothing but glowing reviews of "fatwood" fire starters.
Why?

/ DIY Fire Starter’s #24  
I belong to a fishing club and we meet every morning for coffee and we light a fire every morning through the winter. We keep a supply of corn cobs soaked in diesel. They are kept in a metal bucket w/lid on the deck. Tongs are the preferred method of grabbing one out of the bucket and placing it in the fire place. Keep a paper towel under the cob to catch any drips when you bring it in. They light easily and safely with a match and burn for a considerable amount of time.

/ DIY Fire Starter’s #25  
Ok, im guilty of thread drift, but what lamps do you have?

They are all homemade olive oil lamps. Mason Jar (with a handle if you can find them), wick material, wire and olive oil.

Starting in the middle of a piece of wire, close the pliers over the wire and wrapped the wire around the head of a pair of pliers (large needle nose pliers have given the best results for me) to make a spiral that gets gradually larger in diameter with a large base for the wire and wick to sit on. Placed inside a pint or quart jar to size it up for the location to place a hook on the top of the jar rim. This holds everything in place.

Go back and bend part of the narrow portion (tightest wound part) of the spiral open, so you can insert a wick through the top part of the spiral. Re-adjust the hook on the rim of the glass jar if necessary.

We need to let the wick soak for 10 to 15 minutes before lighting it. To light, I lift the wick and spiral assembly out of the mason jar and light with a match, then lower it back into the jar catching the rim with the hook in the wire.

The last ones were made using coat hangers for the metal wire.

Probably the safest type oil lamp to use. The flame will only burn on the wick, if the wick burns down to the oil height the flame goes out.

When we used them regularly, we burned 2 to 4 ounces of olive oil per night per lamp and 3 lamps put out about 100 lumens. Placed in front of a mirror it helps light up a room fairly well.

Most of our light is now from our solar inverter battery storage.

/ DIY Fire Starter’s #28  
I thought we asking for something take a spark and go from there. Otherwise paper, cardboard and kindling work fine. If it's moist wood and outside add a milk jug or similar. In my burn pit feedbag are the starter because that's were I throw em

/ DIY Fire Starter’s #30  
Newspaper and kindling made from cut-offs from the softwood landing split small

Kindling.JPG

Fill this rack behind the stove almost to the ceiling.

KindlingRack.jpg

It is good to make it easy for the wife I have found.

gg