DIY Canopy.

/ DIY Canopy.
Looking good.
Looks like we are going to be making something home brewed, I found a 60 x48 aluminum sheet in my buddies scrap pile. It's about 1/8 thick. We will be welding some supports on to the ROPS to support the sheet goods. Nothing fancy. Just an edge bent down to increase rigidity. The ROPS is 42" wide and the sheet is 48 I'll make a pattern to we can see where we can begin the bend. My guess is I'll do about 20-30º starting at 40-41 inch and adding a support each side.

/ DIY Canopy. #22  
Here’s mine I wanted a little more protection it’s all galvanized steel frame 1/4 thick top is 1/8 plate. Started out welding just the outside edge on the top it vibrated badly. I stitch welded everywhere ,no rattles now.
Some one I worked with was killed cleaning up in 2005 after hurricane Rita. He was lifting a log with FEL to put on a pile it rolled out of his bucket down the lift arms and crushed him. That’s why I have heavy supports on my canopy

Attachments

• D5453EC0-1A95-4E16-99F2-E00937F75F44.jpeg
    D5453EC0-1A95-4E16-99F2-E00937F75F44.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 126
   / DIY Canopy. #23  
Here's mine. Used a golf cart canopy and this front golf cart strut bracket:

The middle section I cut to use as brackets and mounted to my rops with u-bolts (flex tape as anti-vibration, wasnt needed)

HG5Bzc6.jpg

Then used the uprights as the canopy frame

zM3Ntpy.jpg

ErEjPJw.jpg

Drilled for some screw inserts to hold it the brackets and ened up adding some quick straping on the back to reduce the 'bounce' though it wasnt much to begin with, and paint. Whole thing is removable very easily by slipping backstraps off the u-bolts, pulling the screws, and lifting straight up.

u0t3Rbq.jpg

10ucIxx.jpg

Even has slots and pre-drilled holes to mount light bars front and back.

/ DIY Canopy. #24  
Here's mine. Used a golf cart canopy and this front golf cart strut bracket:

The middle section I cut to use as brackets and mounted to my rops with u-bolts (flex tape as anti-vibration, wasnt needed)

HG5Bzc6.jpg

Then used the uprights as the canopy frame

zM3Ntpy.jpg

ErEjPJw.jpg

Drilled for some screw inserts to hold it the brackets and ened up adding some quick straping on the back to reduce the 'bounce' though it wasnt much to begin with, and paint. Whole thing is removable very easily by slipping backstraps off the u-bolts, pulling the screws, and lifting straight up.

u0t3Rbq.jpg

10ucIxx.jpg

Even has slots and pre-drilled holes to mount light bars front and back.
Where do you get the golf cart canopies?

/ DIY Canopy.
Some Good progress to report. With the help of a friend and his grandson we all fabbed up the sun shade. The big 4 x5 ft aluminum sheet is just right for this big tractor. I was able to remove the top half of the roll bar and bring it with me to the shop. We settled on a 34" flat center section and a 7" bend on each side after rounding the corners on the sheet. We bent the 7" sides to about 45º from a point in the middle of the ROPS radius. Welded a pair of 42" 2x2 tubes forward of the ROPS with a bit of a downward slant to compensate for the rear lean on the ROPS.
Now the paint and finish time. I thinking about painting the aluminum kubota orange. But holy Mother of God that paint is $22 a can! So what is close. Rustoleum orange comes out at $7 a can. Does anybody know if it's even close to the same orange? I need about 6 cans for both sides of the roof. Thank you in advance

PS: If anybody is near So Cal needs them - I have lots of golf cart roofs. Not sure if we can ship them but they are nearly free for the pick-up
Message me.

Last edited:
   / DIY Canopy.
Photos coming soon???? 😉 :ROFLMAO:
Absolutely. Pics coming before and after rattle can paint. Tomorrow I'll post initial fitment pics pre paint and light.... did I mention I added a big ole LED light on the front bar? No, well no surprise I'm sure 🙃

/ DIY Canopy. #28  
Regarding the paint match-

I couldn't any Kubota or Rustoleum orange in stock when I was building my canopy. I used black.

/ DIY Canopy.
Regarding the paint match-

I couldn't any Kubota or Rustoleum orange in stock when I was building my canopy. I used black.

Kubota gray was somewhat reasonably priced and available on Amazon. I also ordered the Rustoleum Kubota orange. Saw a you tube video where a guy tested 5 makes of Kubota orange including the manufacturers spray paint on the back of a fairly new looking bucket. it was a very very close to the high dollar Kubota Orange and on sale now at $6 a can at rust-oleum website, free shipping. This should be good enough. Paint is expensive now. Luckily the paint and the light bar have been the only expense for the project.

Last edited: