Disc harrow size for 47hp

/ Disc harrow size for 47hp #1  

moparguy55

Tractor
Massry fergusson 1547
Hello all have a 1547 massey hst 47hp 4wd
Industrial tires (rears are full) supposedly 36hp st wheels.
How wide of a disc can i pull? Or how big of a 3 point disc can i hang?Land has wet spots and a bit of incline in spots. It has left over corn stocks.

From what i see a pull disc is better for uneven grounds.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Disc harrow size for 47hp #2  
A 2 row pull disc is better generally. I pull a 6 ft wide 8 ft long towner with articulating wheels. It's old and heavy but I added weight to cut the hard rocky soil here. My tractor has 52 hp so not much different than your tractor. It can be all I can pull or even stop me when it sinks but I have those wheels which can push down lifting the disc out of the soil when it gets buried. This disc set is made by Towner, nearly as old as me. In this picture the wheels are raising the disc off the ground for transport. I hope this helps

Attachments

• 70458783666__807F30ED-4807-4296-A211-9AAAEDC03336.JPG
    70458783666__807F30ED-4807-4296-A211-9AAAEDC03336.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 48
   / Disc harrow size for 47hp #3  

Massey Ferguson 1547​

Width66.1 inches
167 cm
Massey Ferguson 1547 Weight
ROPS3597 lbs
1631 kg
Cab3957 lbs
1794 kg
Max capacity8378 lbs
3800 kg
Max front axle4630 lbs
2100 kg
Max rear axle4630 lbs
2100 kg

From what i see a pull disc is better for uneven grounds.
Yes, slightly. But you give up field maneuverability.

The key metric for Disk Harrow penetration is Disk Harrow total weight bearing on each pan. 35 pounds weight per pan is minimal. 50 pounds weight per pan is reasonably effective. The angle at which pans are set also affects penetration.

As your tractor has 4-WD I expect you can pull a Disk Harrow with pans 22" or 24" in diameter 72" to 84" wide at a good clip.

Monroe Tufline is a key independent supplier of Disk Harrows. You can calculate the weight bearing on each pan for Tufline's various models.

Last edited:
   / Disc harrow size for 47hp #4  

/ Disc harrow size for 47hp
A 2 row pull disc is better generally. I pull a 6 ft wide 8 ft long towner with articulating wheels. It's old and heavy but I added weight to cut the hard rocky soil here. My tractor has 52 hp so not much different than your tractor. It can be all I can pull or even stop me when it sinks but I have those wheels which can push down lifting the disc out of the soil when it gets buried. This disc set is made by Towner, nearly as old as me. In this picture the wheels are raising the disc off the ground for transport. I hope this helps
First time i seen an old timer with those big wheels. Nice

Thanks

/ Disc harrow size for 47hp #6  
First time i seen an old timer with those big wheels. Nice

Thanks
The disc is quite old. The wheels had a screw crank on it when it came to me. I put a hydraulic cylinder on it, much better plus I control the depth, like when it gets too deep or when making a sharp turn around. It's a solid old rig.
I don't use it as much as I used to though, open ground seeds weeds and mowing promotes grasses, so I gravitated towards mowing.

/ Disc harrow size for 47hp #7  
Your tractor would handle a 12 foot pull-type or an 8 ft 3-point. I certainly would recommend the pull-type as I’ve yet to see any 3 point disk that I thought was worth more than its weight in scrap metal. It takes many more passes with those, to get the ground sufficiently worked, wasting lots of fuel.

A 12 footer would be ok in ideal soil conditions. A 10 footer would let you get out there in less than ideal conditions, and that’s what I’d go for. I use a 8 foot pull type on my 43 hp 4wd and can pull that thru mud if I want to, without even knowing it’s behind me, at the most aggressive angle setting.
IMG_2349.jpeg

/ Disc harrow size for 47hp
Your tractor would handle a 12 foot pull-type or an 8 ft 3-point. I certainly would recommend the pull-type as I’ve yet to see any 3 point disk that I thought was worth more than its weight in scrap metal. It takes many more passes with those, to get the ground sufficiently worked, wasting lots of fuel.

A 12 footer would be ok in ideal soil conditions. A 10 footer would let you get out there in less than ideal conditions, and that’s what I’d go for. I use a 8 foot pull type on my 43 hp 4wd and can pull that thru mud if I want to, without even knowing it’s behind me, at the most aggressive angle setting.
View attachment 863623
Is there 4 rows of disks or just two? What would a set up like that weigh?