Dirt shedder ramps

/ Dirt shedder ramps #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
So if one were to buy a deck over with dirt shedder ramps like my Kaufman GN, is there a way to install something to make it easier to run small tire equipment up the ramps?
Looks like ordering a trailer is a bridge to nowhere and dealers do have a few in stock that meet most of my needs. Really don’t want to go this route, but it is what it is.
Dirt shedder bars make running zero turns up the ramps a very uncomfortable experience.
Weld mesh on them? Install wedges in between bars?
I haven’t found ONE trailer with wood filled monster ramps.
1625918510453.png

/ Dirt shedder ramps #2  
I don't see how you could permanently mount something to the ramp that won't interfere with it's clearance while folding it back up. You could maybe lay a couple of cut 2x6's up the ramp to drive up when needed. Could bolt a bracket or flange to the end of the board to hold it on the ramp, then remove it to fold up.

I have more aggressive open ramps on my flat bed car trailer, and I lay 2x6's on them when loading small wheeled stuff.

/ Dirt shedder ramps #3  
I have a Kaufman and a BX. I get what you're saying about comfort. With 4wheel drive engaged I can go slow enough that the whoop de whoops from the cleanouts on the ramp aren't that bad.

This would require a lot of cutting a welding, but you might:

- Measure the width of your zero turn's back wheels center to center
- Transcribe that width as a path on the cleanouts on the trailer ramp
- Cut and weld sections of smaller size box tube perpendicularly between each of the cleanouts along the path described by the width of your zero turns tires; doing so in in such a manner that the sections of box tube are maybe 3/4" or so shy of being level with top edge of the cleanouts.

The idea being that the box tube would prevent the tires from dropping as far into the gaps between the cleats, without creating a situation where you lose all traction going up the ramps. Dunno, hopefully someone can come up with a more elegant and less time consuming solution for you.

LOL, my real issue is that I can just barely get the ramps on my trailer to adjust in far enough to match the width of the BX's tire track.

/ Dirt shedder ramps
What about welding wire mesh to tops of dirt shedder bars? Wonder if it’s strong enough to “span“ them without ripping?
I don’t think the zero turn or my F3680 are heavy enough to rip the wire fabric.
Ramps should still fold, right?

/ Dirt shedder ramps #5  
Just get some diamond plate or expanded metal and bolt or weld it over the ramps/dove. As long as the ramps don't have the raised angle that fits into the dove (I think diamond C is like this) then it won't interfere.
There enough support that you should be able to use pretty thin diamond plate, like 14g, even alum would work to save some weight but I'd do 1/8 for alum.

Could also just do strips if you only have a couple peices of equipment that needs it.

/ Dirt shedder ramps #6  
What about welding wire mesh to tops of dirt shedder bars? Wonder if it’s strong enough to “span“ them without ripping?
I don’t think the zero turn or my F3680 are heavy enough to rip the wire fabric.
Ramps should still fold, right?
You can get expanded steel that would be plenty strong and still fairly light.

/ Dirt shedder ramps
I wonder if this area may be a problem for small tires. I don’t think it would be.
1625922710554.jpeg

/ Dirt shedder ramps
Seemed like a few years back, all bigger trailer dealers would keep a few units in stock with wood filled ramps.

/ Dirt shedder ramps #9  
If you ever load or unload something when it is wet you will very much appreciate the surface on those ramps vs a more solid surface, especially wood, that will be slippery as ice.

/ Dirt shedder ramps #10  
Seemed like a few years back, all bigger trailer dealers would keep a few units in stock with wood filled ramps.
I've had the same problem, at least you can special order it from a couple manufacturers on the smaller models but its definitely not very standard until you get into the bigger "paver" trailers.

Of course ordering isn't really an option right now unless you can wait a year.