Digging 400' Trench for cable

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #41  
Speak with the actual install crew. I've worked in trenches for the last 16 years. By conduit, it could me anything that's in the ground for them to put the cable in. 1 1/2 black sprinkler line has been installed A LOT for anything from cable drops to power line runs from poles to houses or houses to barns. The "twine" (P-line) can be installed by tying it to a small piece of cushion foam and then using a shop vac to suck it through from the other end. I've worked with guys on all this stuff, the install crews are always willing to work with you when you are saving them work. Good luck, and as previously said, run it at least 2' deep in that field. If it isn't your field though, your encroaching onto someone else's property. For utilities, that's a no no.

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #42  
I am with the conduit camp. Reason being that on my property it is very rocky, in red clay, and my previous attempts at burying cable direct have been that rocks worked their way to the cable and pierced it. I ran electric fence wiring, with 12-2 direct burial solid wire under three different gate openings and two of them began arcing under ground after a few years because the rocks eventually worked themselves into the cable. I installed conduit and have not had a problem since, well over 10 years now.
If you have sandy soil, however, then I wouldn't bother with the conduit for that reason only. Still, the conduit is good for when you need to replace/upgrade what's running underground, as some one mentioned about fiber coming along eventually.
I had several problems with the cable company, Adelphia and Comcast, burying the line, as they sent out contractors with a vibratory plow who didn't care and it was buried so shallow that you coudl see it above the ground in some places. I had to fight with them and eventually I dug the trench for them, 12" deep", especially under the driveway, where it is 24" deep, to protect it from the shifting rocks and pressure from vehicles. The cable wire is not in conduit, as this was before the electric fence issues came to light and I learned.
Another plus for the conduit is if you ever have to dig in that area you will hit the conduit first and while you may damage it a little, you are much less likely to cut the wire before you know what's going on, like you might with just a bare wire.

Chris

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #43  
We've lived here for nearly 30 years. Contacted local cable company(comcast). They say if I dig the 400 foot trench from the pole at the road to the house, they will install the cable. A contractor hired by comcast showed up and drew a map. On the final plan they say direct burial or I can provide a 2" conduit. Trench will be 18-24" deep - straight from the pole to the house.

It's taken 2 years of phone calls, emails and visits to their office to get this far. So I don't want to make any mistakes.
They will put a pedestal at the house. A pedestal is a green metal 'can' or box about 8" diameter and a foot or so high.

I called the 'call before you dig' phone number and got some info on when to call - 3 to 10 days before digging. And then I have 45 days to complete the job.

The trench is going straight thru a hay field. No underground obstructions that I know of. But the power is coming down the pole and then underground to the house. The power trench goes off at an angle to the other corner of the house so we won't be near it except by the pole. I understand I have to dig by hand for 2 feet by any underground wiring, etc.

I'm inclined to install the 2" conduit. They are supposed to be here within 2 days after I complete the trench to install the cable but if they are late and it's raining alot... the trench may fill with water and may collapse in some areas that will need to be hand dug to clear the dirt.

Any advise to make this go with no problems is well appreciated.
Conduit can be expensive with that length of run, but if the cable fails, easy enough to replace. A question I would ask is, who is eats the repair if the cable fails for some reason?
if you own a backhoe it’s time and fuel on your part. If it’s piped, they can simply pull a new cable. Then there’s always the chance of upgrades in the future to things like fiber optic.

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #44  
We've lived here for nearly 30 years. Contacted local cable company(comcast). They say if I dig the 400 foot trench from the pole at the road to the house, they will install the cable. A contractor hired by comcast showed up and drew a map. On the final plan they say direct burial or I can provide a 2" conduit. Trench will be 18-24" deep - straight from the pole to the house.

It's taken 2 years of phone calls, emails and visits to their office to get this far. So I don't want to make any mistakes.
They will put a pedestal at the house. A pedestal is a green metal 'can' or box about 8" diameter and a foot or so high.

I called the 'call before you dig' phone number and got some info on when to call - 3 to 10 days before digging. And then I have 45 days to complete the job.

The trench is going straight thru a hay field. No underground obstructions that I know of. But the power is coming down the pole and then underground to the house. The power trench goes off at an angle to the other corner of the house so we won't be near it except by the pole. I understand I have to dig by hand for 2 feet by any underground wiring, etc.

I'm inclined to install the 2" conduit. They are supposed to be here within 2 days after I complete the trench to install the cable but if they are late and it's raining alot... the trench may fill with water and may collapse in some areas that will need to be hand dug to clear the dirt.

Any advise to make this go with no problems is well appreciated.
Accomplished a similar project a few years ago, trenched 300' @ 36" deep, direct buried power cable and installed conduit for CCTV and phone drop.

Rented a "Dingo" for the trenching. Recommend 36" deep through the hay field. Also, use a tape at 12-24" "Caution Buried Cable Below" to provide a visual clue and protect it from utility finders.

Conduit is by far the best way to go, but that's a short $1000. Do you own/control the hay field - peace of mind if you do. If you use conduit, have them install a secondary pull string as they install the cable, for future use.

Make sure you know where the power cable is! I doubt the 811 folks will mark it.

In addition to the CCTV, ask them to install a fiber optic drop for future use.

Best of luck!

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #45  
Once we build our house, it will be about 1800' from the public road up a rocky ridge. Once the house is built, we plan on going with Starlink for $110/month for about 200mbps speed.
At our current house, Comcast is raising our rates here as well, they sent notification about the change, but all the links to "find out about the rate increase" do not have any information about a rate increase.
We are going to try Centurylink fiber, $30/month for 200 mbps, with no installation charges (in town).

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #46  
I retired from Verizon in central NY. Way back when , when everyone had a dial tone, I would often get a call to drop off a roll of buried service wire for a new house or someone who wanted to change to a buried wire. We never really cared how it was buried. In fact lot of times we would put the wire in by slicing the ground 2-3 inches and tuck the wire in. Then the ground would close up on it. Verizon was also responsible for the buried service wire from the pole to the house. I know going thru a corn field or someones garden is different, but what does comcast cares how it gets there . Can't they go aerial from the pole with their terminal to the serving pole in front of your house? (Bell Spec) I had Spectrum for TV. 156 channels... Nothing good to watch. Price was thru the roof with 3 boxes. Kept the internet, dropped the TV and got a ROKU box and subscribed to HULU . Cut my cost in half and got the same channels. When I started at New York Telephone, out of services never went more than 24 hours, often fixed within 8 hours. When I retired customers were given a 7 day window for an out of service. Little off topic But these Com companies can be real A*****. And good luck finding some one competent enough to know the business.

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #47  
You are a bit late to the game on getting cable. Most people are getting rid of their cable and opting for much cheaper and better service than cable. But if that's the direction you are headed I would not invest the money in PVC conduit that is much too large for what is needed. I would direct bury it. The preference would be to have them dig it in with their vibrator plow but you didn't mention that as an option.
So exactly how is the better service going to be delivered to his house? TV or Internet, they both require some sort of cable. I do not have access to cable of any sort, satellite service sucks.

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #48  
A few years ago I had to replace direct bury power to my house.. 500 feet of it. The original was damaged someplace. Harder and more expensive to find and fix the existing than to completely replace it. Not to mention of it were fixed, the remainder was likely just as bad. I went with direct bury inside conduit. Better safe than sorry!
In addition.. I had Verizon run FIOS to my house. They had to go 1/4 mile down the street, cross over the street, then lay FIOS another 500 feet to my house. They didn't charge me one cent! Just saying maybe an idea!

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #49  
Do you have a neighbor who has high-speed internet within line of sight, or just a few trees in between? Eliminate all these options and install a wireless point-to-point link between their house and yours. My son has 500mb internet via fiber and lives 1/4 mile from me. I installed such a link between his house and mine and I get 150mb up and down. These little units give the equivalent of fiber between the two points, basically immune to weather, never had mine go down in almost 3 years of operation. The signal will not go through a hill, or heavily forested area, but can penetrate slight tree obstruction. Metal buildings are pretty much a total block. Here's an example, you will need 2 units, $62 each:

There are youtube videos that show exactly how to program them. When you have them "talking" to each other, it's just like a long cat5 network cable, and you are part of your neighbors network. Split the cost of the internet service and you both win. I used to run a rural internet service and we installed these things everywhere, covering almost the whole town from the top of one of the city's water towers.

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #50  
For that distance, they have to use RG11 or hardline. With them wanting it dug out ahead of time and adding a pedestal, which will likely have a tap, instead of a splitter, I would lean toward hardline being installed.

Direct bury is fine, hardline is already fully incased in flexible aluminum pipe, covered in a plastic insulation, which is only there to keep the aluminum from shorting out on power lines.

Communications wiring doesn't work like power lines; the shielding is safe to come into direct contact with the ground, the insulation is mainly only there to prevent shorting power lines and make it easier to work with. Communications wiring uses skin effect, which is why most coax conductors are copper coated steel (satellite dishes need solid copper, because they also transmit power).