Digging 400' Trench for cable

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #1  

RichNJKubota

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310HST
We've lived here for nearly 30 years. Contacted local cable company(comcast). They say if I dig the 400 foot trench from the pole at the road to the house, they will install the cable. A contractor hired by comcast showed up and drew a map. On the final plan they say direct burial or I can provide a 2" conduit. Trench will be 18-24" deep - straight from the pole to the house.

It's taken 2 years of phone calls, emails and visits to their office to get this far. So I don't want to make any mistakes.
They will put a pedestal at the house. A pedestal is a green metal 'can' or box about 8" diameter and a foot or so high.

I called the 'call before you dig' phone number and got some info on when to call - 3 to 10 days before digging. And then I have 45 days to complete the job.

The trench is going straight thru a hay field. No underground obstructions that I know of. But the power is coming down the pole and then underground to the house. The power trench goes off at an angle to the other corner of the house so we won't be near it except by the pole. I understand I have to dig by hand for 2 feet by any underground wiring, etc.

I'm inclined to install the 2" conduit. They are supposed to be here within 2 days after I complete the trench to install the cable but if they are late and it's raining alot... the trench may fill with water and may collapse in some areas that will need to be hand dug to clear the dirt.

Any advise to make this go with no problems is well appreciated.

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #2  
Do you know if Comcast will use direct bury cable or is conduit required? If direct bury could the cable be installed with a plow vs digging a trench? If conduit is required does Comcast or someone have to inspect the conduit before it can be covered?

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #3  
Borrow your neighbors chain saw! lol

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #4  
The cable companies around here never bury that deep. They use direct burial wire with a cable plow and could do 400ft in a couple hours. 2” conduit is about $4ft so I’d be inclined to go direct burial. 2” pvc is about half that cost and it would work just as good if you went that route.

Last edited:
   / Digging 400' Trench for cable #5  
Who provides the conduit? What type cable goes into it? If it's just RG-6 drop cable two inch conduit is gross overkill. When I did cable that's what we used for the main feed or hard line. Have you thought about how they'll get the cable into the conduit? Usually a piece of twine will need to be in the conduit to pull the cable into it. If you're going across a field you definitely want to be deep enough to avoid anybody in the future running a plow or something across it.

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #6  
I've never had cable, but if you have decent internet I would think you could get the same content plus much more by internet.

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #7  
You are a bit late to the game on getting cable. Most people are getting rid of their cable and opting for much cheaper and better service than cable. But if that's the direction you are headed I would not invest the money in PVC conduit that is much too large for what is needed. I would direct bury it. The preference would be to have them dig it in with their vibrator plow but you didn't mention that as an option.

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #8  
We've lived here for nearly 30 years. Contacted local cable company(comcast). They say if I dig the 400 foot trench from the pole at the road to the house, they will install the cable. A contractor hired by comcast showed up and drew a map. On the final plan they say direct burial or I can provide a 2" conduit. Trench will be 18-24" deep - straight from the pole to the house.

It's taken 2 years of phone calls, emails and visits to their office to get this far. So I don't want to make any mistakes.
They will put a pedestal at the house. A pedestal is a green metal 'can' or box about 8" diameter and a foot or so high.

I called the 'call before you dig' phone number and got some info on when to call - 3 to 10 days before digging. And then I have 45 days to complete the job.

The trench is going straight thru a hay field. No underground obstructions that I know of. But the power is coming down the pole and then underground to the house. The power trench goes off at an angle to the other corner of the house so we won't be near it except by the pole. I understand I have to dig by hand for 2 feet by any underground wiring, etc.

I'm inclined to install the 2" conduit. They are supposed to be here within 2 days after I complete the trench to install the cable but if they are late and it's raining alot... the trench may fill with water and may collapse in some areas that will need to be hand dug to clear the dirt.

Any advise to make this go with no problems is well appreciated.
I have a similar project in the "thought/planning" stage. A friend of mine has been an electrical contractor for his whole life and is advising me on the project. At least HERE, (Central Texas) he has strongly advised to use conduit due to the gophers and other animals that dig.
My project is in a yard area around shops, so not crossing a hay field. If it did, I would be concerned about the depth IF you renovate?

/ Digging 400' Trench for cable #10  
Skip the conduit.

And as with others.....phone, cable, and internet companies around here install their own drops and burry lines.

Ive see them do it two ways......

1. they plow it in with a machine
2. they install the drop with cable + enough extra and leve lay on top of ground. Someone comes in later with an edge and puts cable a few inches under sod.

So I gotta ask, whats the future of this hay field? Is it gonna get "worked". Is that the reason for depth? To get below it ever being plowed?

Problem here is at that depth......over 400' you likely hit several drainage tiles.....that unless repaired would be an issue in the very near future.