Difference in auger teeth?

/ Difference in auger teeth? #1  

stumblinhorse

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 75C, Kubota L3130
I need to replace the teeth on my post hole digger and the fish tail also. There seems to be a lot of choices. Anyone have opinions on what to get? What works well for pretty hard rocky soil? It takes pengo teeth. But I think if I put on a new tip/fish tail it can change.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

/ Difference in auger teeth? #2  
I'm glad I looked into your post, as I now know my Land pride auger takes Pengo wear parts also.
My soil is somewhat clay mixed with rock, and the TriFlo dirt tip does fine, along with the standard flat teeth mounted at 40 degrees.
It looks like the rock options would get pricey fast, but I didn't price them.

/ Difference in auger teeth?
The pengo carbides are 3x the price of the regular teeth. Wonder if they are worth it?

/ Difference in auger teeth? #4  
I did 55 holes last year with non carbide teeth and ground the teeth square for the heck of it. I suspect the regular teeth are good for several hundred holes in my conditions.
I think if I were regularly drilling holes I would consider the carbide teeth, but the extra expense doesn't make sense for my use.

/ Difference in auger teeth? #5  
I go on eBay and buy scrap carbide lathe inserts and braze them on. Works better than anything you can buy.

/ Difference in auger teeth? #6  
From what I've heard, Pengo is top of the line. I've never used Pengo, so I can't comment on them, but I have tried a few other cheaper brands and I'm very impressed with Country Line auger teeth and tip from Tractor Supply. I have two of their augers, and they both dig faster then I can handle. My soil is hard, compacted red clay with a layer of grey clay about 3 feet down, that is even harder then the red clay. In areas where the grey clay is closer to the surface, I was never able to get through it with any other brands, but the Country Line goes through it very aggressively. My issue is that it's so aggressive that I tend to bury the auger. It's a challenge to not dig too fast!!!

/ Difference in auger teeth? #7  
I need to replace the teeth on my post hole digger and the fish tail also. There seems to be a lot of choices. Anyone have opinions on what to get? What works well for pretty hard rocky soil? It takes pengo teeth. But I think if I put on a new tip/fish tail it can change.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I want forged. If they are not forged I'l wreck 'em lickedy split.

/ Difference in auger teeth? #8  
Thick carbide frost teeth are useless in hard clay. Changed them out for some thinner dirt teeth & they cut fine. Don't remember if I got the hard faced ones or not.

Pengo stuff is good, but you still need to get the right auger or teeth for purpose.

/ Difference in auger teeth? #9  
Pengo is the way to go, it’s pretty easy to change the teeth from standard to hard faced or carbide depending on the conditions. Just make sure you change worn teeth before the holder gets worn away.

/ Difference in auger teeth? #10  
This has made me realize I need a whole primer on auger teeth.