Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer?

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #41  
I’ve never seen a progressional lawn care operation with them on.

Mine are off except for the big shoulder harness brush trimmer that may sling steel blades on occasion.
And I have never seen a professional lawn care operation with more than one employee take them off. Way too much workman's comp risk.

Last edited:
   / Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #42  
I will take it off. Trimmers without a big guard make it more efficient. And I can see how it is trimming as well as I can also use it as an edger.
Yes

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #43  
Watch what the 'Pro's' do; you won't find any guards on their trimmers. With a little attention one can see exactly which direction the trimmer throws the grass, dirt and rocks. Even so, all of my mowing and trimming is done wearing googles (and protective sleeves). My eyes are very important to me!
All the guys that trim for a living use the guards. The only machines without guards are well used

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #44  
It simply does not make sense to remove the guard. The term GUARD should give you a clue to how important it is. I have a good size trimmer and removed the guard because a "professional" mower guy recommended it. I should have taken note that he was in shorts, shower shoes, no hearing protection, and no gloves his comment of the string turning faster. These were clues to not take his advice. It takes me about 2+ hours. I took the guard off and it only took a few minutes to put it back on. I wear pants, boots, gloves, and a long sleeve shirt (having skin cancer removed a few times teaches you to dress for the sun). The "free range" blade was quick to throw dirt, rocks, sticks and actually drew blood on my arms and legs. My weedeater has a bump head and without the cutting blade on the guard, my string became longer on one end then the other and I had to stop a couple times to find my side cutters and cut the line evenly. If I wanted to do some edging, I just flipped the weedeater over (guard toward the clouds) and did my edging. As for removing the guard to make the line move faster, this makes no sense. The only time there is a "slow down” of the line is when it hits the cutting blade but I am unsure how that would affect your work. If you need a faster weedeater then go buy a weedeater that has a stronger engine. Of course this is just my opinion but I don't see a benefit to removing the guard.

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #45  
Remember the guard was made by the manufacturer for a reason and it is not just for operator, object protection or to make it cost more. It is also to keep the strings short enough to not destroy, overheat, or overloading the engine and drive shaft and gearbox. As a tech in the shop the "pro's" that brought the trimmers in without guards brought them in more often for repair.
Also remember the manufacturer may not honor the warranty if the guard has been removed. If you are running a business OSHA may not be happy if you are not running with the guard in place. With the guard liability is also reduced.
As with most safety devices there are always a few that will always defeat the devices, but only can blame themselves for the results.
Work safely your family will appreciate you being able to come home, and those you serve will appreciate you being able to continue the job done.

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #46  
I ones removed it. I was able to last less than 15 minutes before installing it back. No more....

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #47  
I will take it off. Trimmers without a big guard make it more efficient. And I can see how it is trimming as well as I can also use it as an edger.
I took my guard off of a new Lithium powered Ryobi. I was pleased with the battery run time, but get even more run time with the guard off. I already always were glasses, but also got nylon shin guards to protect my legs if I am not wearing blue jeans. These guards Velcro on easily and help trim a lot of area quickly…forward and backwards. I keep my Leatherman on my hip if I need to freshen up/shorten the line due to a lack of cutter from the missing guard.

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #48  
Yes. And I direct cut grass away from me. I wear tall boots, lightweight long pants, safety glasses and hearing protection.

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #49  
In Australia. No Guard you risk no insurance if a professional and someone gets hurt

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #50  
Work for the government or corporation you leave all safety devices on, or no job.