Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer?

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #31  
I dont even know where my gaurd is took it off 15 years ago lol.
I use the push in strings on my echo.
I notice some say longer strings better,but i noticed the longer you go the less power you got.
As far as no gaurd good boots a must ,it hurts like hell when you hit your toe with sneakers.i also use my logging helmet with the screen in case i chuck a rock

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #32  
I don't like the string cut off blade that wastes string so my guard is off also and can get in tight spots easier. It also makes it some lighter and I use it to trim hedges along sidewalk. Same with mower guard, I can get closer to trees and fences.

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #33  
First thing to go away on a new trimmer is the guard and the bump feed. Then I put on a third party head that takes a much larger dia. cord. These are usually heads that you have to cut cords to length and individually feed them through the retainers. You can adjust the length to what you are cutting.

There are also other heads and cutters that I use, but I don't want to describe them as they are sort of DIY dangerous if you are not going to wear substantial protective gear: Think medieval Knight's Armour, and no one else can be around.

The Himalayan blackberry laughs at standard, off the shelf weed eater configurations.
Mine, quiver in fear as Spring comes around, cause they know they don't stand a chance. I do wish I could upscale the weed eater to something commerical, like 125 CC or so $$$$. That would be even more fun. :)

Last edited:
   / Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #34  
I run my trimmers with the guards removed, except for the brush cutter head. I do wear long pants and safety glasses though.
It makes edging easier, trimming larger areas faster and more even, and keeps the head clearer in high brush.

For those without serious heavy brush cutting needs, consider trying an Echo Speed Feed 400 or 450 head. They are game changers!

An echo speed feed head is light years ahead of anything else. 5 star product IMO.

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #35  
I have a guard on one string trimmer and no guard on one.

I also use a KM 131 power head with a guard in place for the string trimmer but I don'y edge with the string trimmer.

I have the straight shaft edger with a metal blade for that.

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #37  
An echo speed feed head is light years ahead of anything else. 5 star product IMO.
Echo Speed Feed heads are the best thing since sliced bread. And they will fit almost and brand of trimmer too. Wouldn’t use anything else.

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #38  
I leave mine on. The Husqvarna ones aren't that big so they're not in the way.

/ Did you guys take the guard off your trimmer? #39  
I thought them guards were just for shipping...