Diabetes

/ Diabetes #322  
Unless your body is telling you something through pain or general unwellness I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm trying to walk every day and drink at least 1/2 gallon of water each day.
Other than that I try to avoid doctors and hospitals at all costs since statistically they are one of the leading causes of death.

/ Diabetes #325  
To much of anything is bad. As is being inactive or overweight.
Good thing there is no definition of "too much". That way everyone can set their own amounts. Oh wait, everyone does anyway.

/ Diabetes #326  
The CGM, definitely discourages cheating: Having the thing beeping every five minutes, definitely makes you think about whether the cheat is worth the hassles.
Sometimes I wonder if everybody in my exwife's household shuts the alerts off for my type 1 son. I have my alerts set at 180 to go off after 3 hours above. I get to listen to it A LOT. He is currently 243 arrow straight up.

/ Diabetes #327  
Sometimes I wonder if everybody in my exwife's household shuts the alerts off for my type 1 son. I have my alerts set at 180 to go off after 3 hours above. I get to listen to it A LOT. He is currently 243 arrow straight up.
That's not good. Is he a growing juvenile?

/ Diabetes #328  
That's not good. Is he a growing juvenile?
15 years old coming up on 3 years in July diagnosed. Lives 8 hours away. I get approx. 49 days with him each year to try to instill good habits. TIR was 52% last year. His best numbers are when he is here and we can see how the changes the doctors make to his calibrations effect him here. And yet he can't break the 50%TIR at home. He has a 64% TIR for 1 month when here with me. After a November calibration change we had 3 day groups pushing 90% TIR. 1 week mid 70% TIR. 5 hours after leaving my custody he is in the 400's. Chart stops at 400. Sure would like to know how HIGH it actually gets. Daily 300's with 400's being common. Dr. goal is 65% and yet nobody talks about it. Lots of talk of whether calculating carbs correctly and even a retraining session for them that was decided it wasn't needed. But there is nothing to confirm or deny the issue. They just keep repeating possible mistakes over and over again. Doctors are not interested in my data, How the changes they made effects him. As I type this he is 247 level. Peaked at 309 at 1:22pm from a low of 71 at 11:28am after coming off his breakfast high of 307 at 8:30am.

/ Diabetes #329  
15 years old coming up on 3 years in July diagnosed. Lives 8 hours away. I get approx. 49 days with him each year to try to instill good habits. TIR was 52% last year. His best numbers are when he is here and we can see how the changes the doctors make to his calibrations effect him here. And yet he can't break the 50%TIR at home. He has a 64% TIR for 1 month when here with me. After a November calibration change we had 3 day groups pushing 90% TIR. 1 week mid 70% TIR. 5 hours after leaving my custody he is in the 400's. Chart stops at 400. Sure would like to know how HIGH it actually gets. Daily 300's with 400's being common. Dr. goal is 65% and yet nobody talks about it. Lots of talk of whether calculating carbs correctly and even a retraining session for them that was decided it wasn't needed. But there is nothing to confirm or deny the issue. They just keep repeating possible mistakes over and over again. Doctors are not interested in my data, How the changes they made effects him. As I type this he is 247 level. Peaked at 309 at 1:22pm from a low of 71 at 11:28am after coming off his breakfast high of 307 at 8:30am.
It would be hard dealing with something like that. The saving grace is he is getting old enough to start taking control himself. I’d be giving him age appropriate books and articles, and finding web links for him.

I have a simple technique which works well for me. I take the total carbs, and subtract the fiber to “net carbs”, than add the total sugar back in, and then add the “added sugar” to that, which gives me what I call reactive carbs. And then keep the reactive carbs below the thirty grams of carbs I try to eat for every meal.

/ Diabetes #330  
It would be hard dealing with something like that. The saving grace is he is getting old enough to start taking control himself. I’d be giving him age appropriate books and articles, and finding web links for him.

I have a simple technique which works well for me. I take the total carbs, and subtract the fiber to “net carbs”, than add the total sugar back in, and then add the “added sugar” to that, which gives me what I call reactive carbs. And then keep the reactive carbs below the thirty grams of carbs I try to eat for every meal.
If he can break the apron strings that keep getting cinched tighter. We track everything here and when we question him on where he gets his carb number from for something that is way off. He says mom. He recognizes the difference in numbers. Once asked me why his numbers are different here than at home. We do go over the data from his pump and he is interested in it but if an example from home comes up he shuts down. It is a lot.