Dewalt charger question

/ Dewalt charger question #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I didn't want to hijack the stapler thread. I recently bought a Dewalt 20V router, and (2) 6ah aftermarket batteries to run it. They came fully charged and I used each one until it died.
When I try using the charger which came with my drill it indicates they are fully charged, yet they won't even run my drill. Is there a specific charger for the bigger batteries? The Dewalt website doesn't list my specific charger, (DCB107) but I haven't seen any which won't handle everything. I suspect that you get what you pay for, if I had realized before placing the order that they came directly from China I never would have ordered them.

/ Dewalt charger question #2  
Not sure if it's what you're asking but the 60v chargers also charge 20v batteries. The 20v chargers we have can handle all sizes of 20v batteries.

Maybe the problem is the aftermarket batteries? Though everything I have seen about those says that they work ok, just don't last as long.

/ Dewalt charger question #3  
All of my Dewalt 20v batteries go on the same charger, regardless of ah sizes. I only use Dewalt batteries and have never had issues. I think you're right about your aftermarket batteries when you said "if I had realized before placing the order that they came directly from China I never would have ordered them". Hopefully they didn't damage the router or charger. But the charger could be bad too, so you might borrow someone's to test it. Did the charger come with the batteries?

/ Dewalt charger question
Not sure if it's what you're asking but the 60v chargers also charge 20v batteries. The 20v chargers we have can handle all sizes of 20v batteries.

Maybe the problem is the aftermarket batteries? Though everything I have seen about those says that they work ok, just don't last as long.
Sorry, that was my question. I just received the batteries and have used them once... they truly don't last as long. Also probably aren't rebuildable, but I will have to check that out.
All of my Dewalt 20v batteries go on the same charger, regardless of ah sizes. I only use Dewalt batteries and have never had issues. I think you're right about your aftermarket batteries when you said "if I had realized before placing the order that they came directly from China I never would have ordered them". Hopefully they didn't damage the router or charger. But the charger could be bad too, so you might borrow someone's to test it. Did the charger come with the batteries?

The charger came with the drill I bought several years ago and works fine on my lesser batteries... including the one which I have on charge now. Funny thing, when I placed the order they showed an address in PA, it wasn't until I got the PayPal confirmation that that I found they were getting shipped from China.

What's really odd is that I ordered this on April 11, and the only confirmation was from my PayPal account. I've never received any type of correspondence after my initial order, and the only shipping notice I received was from UPS telling me that I had a package coming. Now a month has gone by and they still haven't tried to receive payment. Until that happens I'm not out anything. I still need a battery strong enough to run my router... this time I'll just go with the real McCoy.

/ Dewalt charger question #6  
The batteries may not be fully in contact with the charger terminals. I run into that from time to time with my Ryobi charger and genuine Ryobi batteries.

/ Dewalt charger question #7  
My newest battery is a 60v and it's noticeably more difficult to get it plugged in to the tool and to the charger. Sometimes it feels connected to the charger but it's not seated all the way and does not charge. But I think if the charger indicates the battery is charged, the contacts are making contact. Maybe not.

If it's a DeWalt battery made in China, it should be as good as the ones made anywhere. Big companies like that have quality standards which all their factories have to meet. Clone batteries OTOH might not be as good, whether made in China or not.

/ Dewalt charger question #8  
You said you have smaller ah Dewalt 20V batteries? Have you charged them on your new Dewalt charger?
Paying extra for the Dewalt quality on the batteries does bite but on the flip side my batteries all are over 5 years old and work like they did new.

Also to address the 60v Dewalt battery fit on the charger.... They have to lock on and unlock off moreso than the 20v do. Maybe because of the extra weight.

You said you have smaller ah Dewalt 20V batteries? Have you charged them on your new Dewalt charger?
Paying extra for the Dewalt quality on the batteries does bite but on the flip side my batteries all are over 5 years old and work like they did new.

Also to address the 60v Dewalt battery fit on the charger.... They have to lock on and unlock off moreso than the 20v do. Maybe because of the extra weight.

The charger isn't new, just the 20V batteries. They are 6ah though, so considerably heavier as you say. I would put them on, the charger would flash a couple of times, then go solid as if it was fully charged.

However, after reading the various comments here I leaned my charger at an angle, shifting the weight of the battery. It currently shows that it's charging, so that was a simple fix.
Thanks for the help, you just saved me from buying new Dewalt's at a considerable cost.

/ Dewalt charger question #10  
The only thing I've noticed with my charger is it won't charge until the batteries cool off. If you take a dead battery right out of the tool and stick it on the charger it won't charge. On at least one occasion I had to leave the battery off the charger until it cooled to get it to charge. Putting it on hot it never started to charge even after it cooled until I removed it and put it back on. I thought my 5 AH battery was bad because this happened the first time I tried to recharge it. I only have DeWalt batteries.