Deep lug R4 tires

/ Deep lug R4 tires #1  

Smokeydog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, M59, M5030DT
Put these on the front of a Kubota M59. Immediately improved traction. Heavy sidewall and rim guard helps with loader operations. Twice as heavy as OEM tires. Several years now and doing well. Tractor stays mostly in 4wd and scuffing off-road is minimal. Only problem is they are difficult to mount and took 100psi and a couple of days to seat the bead. Tight.

Carlisle Ultra Guard Industrial Tire -10-16.5 Amazon.com: Carlisle Ultra Guard Industrial Tire -10-16.5: Automotive

Price varies. Got down to $120 per tire delivered.

/ Deep lug R4 tires #2  
I've got the little brother to those on the rear of my JD 430 garden tractor (lawn mower)

I live on a slope and the original tires simply spun when I'd be turning at an angle trying to go up hill.

These can still spin a little bit but they do a much better job for me.

So here's a question for anyone in the know....

Is the squared part of the lug the leading edge or is the stepped part of the lug the leading edge?

I didn't even notice the stepped portion and had the squared edge leading. My neighbor said I had them on backwards so not knowing (nor really caring) I flipped them and now everyone is happy.

/ Deep lug R4 tires #3  
I didn't even notice the stepped portion and had the squared edge leading. My neighbor said I had them on backwards so not knowing (nor really caring) I flipped them and now everyone is happy.

My limited understanding is that, as shown in the amazon link, is the "correct" mounting direction. That being said my neighbor runs R4's mounted in the opposite direction on his skid steer. When I asked him why he said that he'd rather have better traction going in reverse so that when he starts getting stuck he has a better chance of backing out of the mess he got into.

I also just the other day saw a early 2000's Kubota L series with R4's for sale locally where the owner had mounted the rear tires in the direction shown in the amazon link and had the front tires mounted in the opposite direction. *shrugs*

/ Deep lug R4 tires #4  
Price varies. Got down to $120 per tire delivered.
Amazon does that a lot. If you put an item in your shopping list and let it sit, the price has a good chance to go down. If you put the item in your cart and let it sit, there's a good chance the price will go up. If you then move the item from your cart to "save-for-later", the price will most likely drop again. Don't be in a hurry to buy a large ticket item.

That's how I watch prices on most large items I want. If you're in a hurry, Amazon wants you to buy at the price shown and you'll pay more. I got two 100lb. propane tanks for nearly half price and delivered by playing the pricing game. I wanted to use them for a whole house generator. The same tanks I paid $127 for are now $227. I've done the same with many items.