Need to check pressures more often with tire sealers?

/ Need to check pressures more often with tire sealers? #1  

Smokeydog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, M59, M5030DT
Bought new HD 12 ply, extra deep thread skid steer tires to replace the worn and one slow leaking OEM tires on the Kubota front M59 a few years ago. Great improvement in traction especially loader work. Also pumped in about a half gallon of Gempler’s bulletproof tire sealant in each tire for extra protection. I only check air pressure once a year unless I see a problem. These tires don’t squat at low pressure like the OEM tires. Noticed pressure in a year would drop from 45 to 10-15psi. Don’t know if pressure loss is from leak or reaction to sealant??? Max pressure in these tires are 80psi.

Not checking pressure more regularly caught up with me yesterday. While grubbing up brush and small trees rolled a front tire off the rim on one side.

Had to wipe off a lot of mud and sealant. Took the tire to a Bobcat dealer. Service said $150 and next day to fix because of their high hourly rate. Took it to a tractor tire shop, $5 repair plus $10 tip for fixing while I waited. Takes 6’ tire irons with lots of tire grease to mount and seat seat high ply, rim guard tires.

I’ll be checking pressures more often.

/ Need to check pressures more often with tire sealers? #2  
Sometimes a slow leak can be just a slightly loose or only snug valve core. Try making sure they're all tight and see if that helps.

/ Need to check pressures more often with tire sealers?
Yes. Had a rash of several tires on trailers, cars and trucks had leaks from cracking rubber valve stems years ago. Better luck with high pressure brass/rubber valve stems. Have switched to bolt in valve stems. Used bolt in stems in tubeless tractor tires.

/ Need to check pressures more often with tire sealers? #4  
Bought new HD 12 ply, extra deep thread skid steer tires to replace the worn and one slow leaking OEM tires on the Kubota front M59 a few years ago. Great improvement in traction especially loader work. Also pumped in about a half gallon of Gempler’s bulletproof tire sealant in each tire for extra protection. I only check air pressure once a year unless I see a problem. These tires don’t squat at low pressure like the OEM tires. Noticed pressure in a year would drop from 45 to 10-15psi. Don’t know if pressure loss is from leak or reaction to sealant??? Max pressure in these tires are 80psi.

Not checking pressure more regularly caught up with me yesterday. While grubbing up brush and small trees rolled a front tire off the rim on one side.

Had to wipe off a lot of mud and sealant. Took the tire to a Bobcat dealer. Service said $150 and next day to fix because of their high hourly rate. Took it to a tractor tire shop, $5 repair plus $10 tip for fixing while I waited. Takes 6’ tire irons with lots of tire grease to mount and seat seat high ply, rim guard tires.

I’ll be checking pressures more often.

I generally only have sealer in a tire if I had to put it in there due to a leak, so yes, I check pressures on tires with sealer a lot more frequently than tires without it. I will generally check pressures in a tire with sealer every 1-2 weeks if it's on a regularly-used piece of equipment, otherwise I'd check it every time I use it if it's only used seasonally. Generally a tire will pick the worst time to roll off of a rim, usually when you have a load of something in your bucket and are just going through a mud puddle.

The most trouble I ever saw with somebody trying to seat a bead on a tractor tire was when a guy at a tire shop tried to seat the bead on a brand-new tube-type tire that he mistakenly thought was a tubeless tire. A bead seater didn't work but several attempts of increasing quantities of ether actually did get the bead to seat and hold air until the mistake was realized, the tire was deflated, and a tube installed.

Last edited: