Debit vs. Credit Cards

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #221  
I would love someone explain to me the algorithm they use for your credit rating.

I use to have a 849 Fica score. I'm down to a 775 now and have I have no clue as to why.
Soft credit checks (you checking) do not generally impact your score.

Hard checks (you applied for a loan, etc) generally do negatively impact your score.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #222  
Soft credit checks (you checking) do not generally impact your score.

Hard checks (you applied for a loan, etc) generally do negatively impact your score.
The only loan (and debt) I'm paying on at all is the loan for the renovations. That said, my (and my wife's) assets vastly outweigh the loan the amount. I took out that loan because I actually thought it would help our credit rating to put us back on the radar so to speak.

That said, I did take the loan out as a single individual. I know my wife's score wasn't hit.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #224  
Sometimes lack of credit effects your rating.

If you don't have a mortgage.....may look worse than. Having a 500k mortgage that you only owe 10k on.

The first.....they have no idea if you have zero equity in anything, or have 5 million in assets paid. The latter, they at least know you have $490k in equity
As mentioned, exactly why I took out that small loan.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #225  
That reminds me of opening a savings account to get a toaster.

Remember those days? :)
At the local Federal Savings & Loan. My grandma got my toaster. I still have my little red pocket sized passbook somewhere. My dad opened the account for me when I was about 12.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #226  
As mentioned, exactly why I took out that small loan.
As you probably know, you can get a free credit report from each of the 3 main credit bureaus every year and a credit score is included along with an explanation.

The banks we use include a running monthly credit score available online. Wells Fargo is the best.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #227  
   / Debit vs. Credit Cards #228  
End of day you're correct. I just scratch my head over it.
Actually, lots of companies use credit scores. Insurance, apartments and utilities just off the top of my head.

Some banks just use FICO, but most combine FICO with additional info gather by credit bureaus and provided by the applicants.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #229  
I would love someone explain to me the algorithm they use for your credit rating.

I use to have a 849 Fica score. I'm down to a 775 now and have I have no clue as to why.
There are many ways they bring your score up or down.

My wife's score just took a hit because she had a card she hadn't used except once when she got it. And only then because getting the card gave a 20% discount on her initial purchase. She paid the card off and never thought about it again.

Since the card was not in use they informed her by mail that they were dropping her spending limit from $1000.00 to $500.00. So what, who cares?

Well... Transunion, Equifax, and Experion (The Greedae: Three Sisters Of Financial Fate) see that and your credit score goes down a few points because you are no longer able to go as deep into debt as you used to be able to.

So just having credit isn't enough, you have to be actively using it. This gives them data to work with and sell.

Oddly enough the term deadbeat is now used by financial people to refer to folks who payoff their credit cards monthly because they don't make any money off them.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #230  
Oddly enough the term deadbeat is now used by financial people to refer to folks who payoff their credit cards monthly because they don't make any money off them.
I have no doubt given the general population of our country, the credit card people are still making money on interest 😉