Debit vs. Credit Cards

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #201  
Feds refuse to enforce that law for economic reasons the same as immigration laws are not enforced.
Immigration all comes back to Congress. Congress passed the law which includes amnesty. They get to the border from a troubled country and request amnesty, they get to stay until there is a hearing before a judge.

Congress, won’t budget for more judges, or enough funds to keep humane holding centers until aa decision is made. So, there is a long wait time in the US. If Congress funds enough Judges, the hang time in the US would be brought down to days instead of months and years.

And many of the current wave coming from Central America are a direct effect of us interfering with their governmental processes for century. Remember the Iran Contra debacle with Ollie claiming that Ronald Reagan had sent him. That was about, selling missiles to Iran, so they could generate money to fund rRight wing militias in South America. We destroyed the government, resulting in a power vacuum which the Gangs could occupy.

The core leadership of MS13, are American trained. The leader was trained in Counterterrorism, at the College of the Americas. And if you know counterterrorism, you know how to be a terrorist. The rest of them learned how to be gang bangers, in California, before we deported them as undesirable aliens. At which point they used the skills learned here to form a very powerful gang at home.

If you mess up a country so badly that the citizens are not safe, you need to either go fix the problem you created, or provide safe haven to those fleeing the mess you made. Probably ought to do both.

I guess I’m old school enough to feel people should be responsible for the consequences of their actions.

Problem is that the folks who feel like I do, don’t seem to realize exactly how much, and how long the US Government has messed around in other nations affairs in support of our big businesses.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #202  
But what is that protection? Most debit cards have some kind of protection but if someone gets ahold of your card and PIN and spends/withdraws funds from your account - your account is slammed shut and you have no access to even the funds remaining in the account until the bank gets things sorted out which is normally about a week. So what do you eat or fill your car with that week.

When it is a debit card and they have your money you may or may not give it back. If it is a fraudulent charge on a CC you have not paid for it and can dispute it with the help of the CC company instead of fighting your own bank.
As someone who's debit card number has been stolen 3 times, this is not true. If you report a fraud charge they lock the card, not the account. You can go to the bank and get a new card made the same day. I know this because I had to do it 3 times last year. Someone within the banking system was skimming new card numbers as they were assigned. It does take a week or so to get your missing funds back but it's not really that big an issue because the bank will flag and put a hold on any large fraudulent charges anyway. They're really good at catching those, it's the $50-$100 charges that the computer system misses.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #203  
I think maybe you are confused about what he was saying. Using the card rather than paying cash or using a different card made him $500. He never said he was spending on things he wasn't buying anyway.

As for ARMs, they are a tool that can be effective if used correctly. Tractors are great when used effectively, deadly if used carelessly. I see the ARM the same way.
You're right I misread it, sorry Hay Dude!

As to the ARMs I stand by my opinion, those are terrible and I can't believe anyone recommends those. Do a fixed rate mortgage and if rates go down refinance.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #204  
As I mentioned before, we have fraud protection on the debit card. It's been activated a few times in the past. Never took more than a business day to clear up, shut down the card, and get us a new one.
Is that with small local bank or credit union. For large bank headquartered here three days is good turn around for new card

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #205  
As to the ARMs I stand by my opinion, those are terrible and I can't believe anyone recommends those. Do a fixed rate mortgage and if rates go down refinance.
How are they terrible? An ARM often carries a lower rate initially than a conventional mortgage. That means for someone with new or messy credit they can get a less expensive loan while they build their credit. Sure, if you can qualify for a 30 year fixed up front and the same rate, then do that. When we did our first mortgage, we would have had over $50 a month higher payment for the first five years...60x50=$3000 more cost. BUT, you are betting that rates will go down after 5 years and/or your credit will improve. If you are financially irresponsible, stay away from all credit. If you are young and responsible, an ARM can be better than a conventional.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #206  
two months later the polaris GM called and explained they have never had anyone do that and the finance guy did not think of the CC processing fee. He asked if I would pay it. Now, I don't want to beat up the guys that service my stuff, so I said I would stop in. We agreed that I would pay the fee, and they would give free maintenance on the new rzr for life (labor only).
Interesting. I did an impulse buy at the Honda dealership.

My wife saw the only Passport on the lot and said she liked it. We desperately needed a new vehicle and getting her to accept my choices is never easy. I had nothing really to object to with it so I said: "Buy it!".

Now when the finance guy asked for a downpayment of $10K, I asked if he took Amex. He didn't even blink, ran the card, called our credit union and my wife has a car she likes and I don't mind.

The interesting part is that Amex is known for charging ~ half a percent more to process than most other cards so that had to have cost them ~ $300.00. They've never called to complain, although if I could get lifetime labor for $300.00 I'd jump at the chance.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #207  
Debit cards are starting to have similar protections as credit cards. Although when I travel I have an app that allows my Visa provider to know where I am so that charges will be authorized - this was handy in Tobolsk, Russia. I'm not aware of any debit cards that do that yet.

But one thing debit cards don't do is help with your credit rating.

I've been to places where they wouldn't take cash (please, no arguments about legal tender) as they were connected to the internet and that put money into their accounts almost immediately. I've also been to places that didn't take credit. Usually, rural places with little to no connectivity, and are unable to verify your card balance.

Some gas stations give a discount for cash, but what they really want is for you to either apply for their credit card or buy a gift card that they consider the same as cash (and that they hope you'll lose). And some stations discount their fuel if you use their card.

Some places won't take one card or another. I've had my Visa and Amex refused because they only took MC.

There was a time (~ 40 years ago) when interest on credit card debt was deductible from your income taxes, and inflation was so bad that buying on credit made sense because the price of what you bought you paid back at a lesser amount. It was when inflation went away and Reagan killed off that deduction that folks found themselves wallowing in debt.

Currently, I have a Visa, MC, and an Amex. All three are paid off monthly. My only debt is an auto payment, which I'd pay off if my investments weren't making more than the loan interest.

Bottom line: You need a good credit rating unless you have massive piles of cash, the deck is always stacked against you, and they are always inventing new ways to cheat you.

Be careful out there.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #208  
So you spent $3000 to save $500? Your financial math is, iffy :) Don't I remember you recommending adjustable rate mortgages or was that someone else?
I spent $3,000 on the credit card, that I was required to spend anyway, so why not buy something for $3,000, but only be charged $2,500?
You pickin up what I’m putting down?

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #209  
Immigration all comes back to Congress. Congress passed the law which includes amnesty. They get to the border from a troubled country and request amnesty, they get to stay until there is a hearing before a judge.

Congress, won’t budget for more judges, or enough funds to keep humane holding centers until aa decision is made. So, there is a long wait time in the US. If Congress funds enough Judges, the hang time in the US would be brought down to days instead of months and years.

And many of the current wave coming from Central America are a direct effect of us interfering with their governmental processes for century. Remember the Iran Contra debacle with Ollie claiming that Ronald Reagan had sent him. That was about, selling missiles to Iran, so they could generate money to fund rRight wing militias in South America. We destroyed the government, resulting in a power vacuum which the Gangs could occupy.

The core leadership of MS13, are American trained. The leader was trained in Counterterrorism, at the College of the Americas. And if you know counterterrorism, you know how to be a terrorist. The rest of them learned how to be gang bangers, in California, before we deported them as undesirable aliens. At which point they used the skills learned here to form a very powerful gang at home.

If you mess up a country so badly that the citizens are not safe, you need to either go fix the problem you created, or provide safe haven to those fleeing the mess you made. Probably ought to do both.

I guess I’m old school enough to feel people should be responsible for the consequences of their actions.

Problem is that the folks who feel like I do, don’t seem to realize exactly how much, and how long the US Government has messed around in other nations affairs in support of our big businesses.
Wrong. No law through Congress has granted amnesty. Unofficially they tried though

As for south American countries, if someone wants amnesty, they need to declare it upon first country they come upon. Not the US.

Of course our so called leadership don't enforce UN law.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #210  
Guys, I'll be the first to admit I can derail a thread, but I think it would be wise not to derail it into politics. I think it's a rule we can all live with...