Debit vs. Credit Cards

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #211  
Fine by me....bad habit I got...my bad

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #212  
The first time that my debit card was shut off I had no credit cards. I was trying to pick my snow sled up after being serviced and my card suddenly wouldn't work. I called the CU just as they were trying to close and they turned my card on long enough to get my sled back. They also advised me to order checks because there'd been a massive data breach, and all accounts would have to have new cards issued.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #213  
Bought a rifle once out of the east side of mi. I live west side. Bank declined it cuz it's out of my normal area of purchases. Cool, whatever. I used my wife's debit card ( same account) and it went through. Good security. I made my voice clear about the lack of security to the bank.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #214  
I’ve had my debit card compromised once: I check balances every day when I get to the house and on my Wi-Fi network.

Went on, and there were two transactions I hadn’t made for $450 and $1250.

Looked up the companies which had made the charges. One specialized in selling phone cards to jail inmates, and owned the card accepting telephones. The otther leased and serviced ankle monitors.

The phone guys had a 1-800 number so I called them, and they wouldn’t give me much information beyond where they sold it. A Parrish in Louisiana. So, I looked up the Sheriff’s Office for the Parrish, and gave them a call. The gal who answered the phone was very helpful, and asked me what I did know. Which was the last four digits of the phone card.

Using that she could look up who bought it, “That damned Bill”. And, from that name she could identify where the ankle monitor was. She told me, “We know right where he is, and we’ll go get him. Have the security team at you bank call us, and reference case ###.

I had the funds back in three days.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #215  
I’ve had my debit card compromised once: I check balances every day when I get to the house and on my Wi-Fi network.

Went on, and there were two transactions I hadn’t made for $450 and $1250.

Looked up the companies which had made the charges. One specialized in selling phone cards to jail inmates, and owned the card accepting telephones. The otther leased and serviced ankle monitors.

The phone guys had a 1-800 number so I called them, and they wouldn’t give me much information beyond where they sold it. A Parrish in Louisiana. So, I looked up the Sheriff’s Office for the Parrish, and gave them a call. The gal who answered the phone was very helpful, and asked me what I did know. Which was the last four digits of the phone card.

Using that she could look up who bought it, “That damned Bill”. And, from that name she could identify where the ankle monitor was. She told me, “We know right where he is, and we’ll go get him. Have the security team at you bank call us, and reference case ###.

I had the funds back in three days.
That's why I don't have a debit card associated with my main checking account. I don't keep that much of a balance on hand, and there would have been some overdraft charges, as well as late fees from the payments which didn't go through.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #216  
You're right I misread it, sorry Hay Dude!

As to the ARMs I stand by my opinion, those are terrible and I can't believe anyone recommends those. Do a fixed rate mortgage and if rates go down refinance.

For most people, an ARM isn't the best choice, but sometimes it is. It's a matter of risk tolerance. I took out a ARM when I bought a Condo about 10 years ago. I didn't really expect to keep it this long, but I have and the rates went down a number of times before just starting to go back up. If it goes up more than I'm comfortable with, I have plenty of money in fixed return investments to pay off the loan.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #217  
Got to admit I'm more than happy with my credit union credit card for security.

I can think of 3 times over the years they gave me a call asking me about a transaction that they thought was suspicious (generally in areas overseas where I don't frequent). They told me not to worry about it. Only hassle was I had to wait for a new card.

When I was young and out of college going to a job interview in Baltimore, I took cash with me to stay at a decent hotel. Having ONLY cash and no credit card was really a pain in the butt (and this was back in the early 90's). Reality is we live in a electronic age.

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #219  
I would love someone explain to me the algorithm they use for your credit rating.

I use to have a 849 Fica score. I'm down to a 775 now and have I have no clue as to why.
Sometimes lack of credit effects your rating.

If you don't have a mortgage.....may look worse than. Having a 500k mortgage that you only owe 10k on.

The first.....they have no idea if you have zero equity in anything, or have 5 million in assets paid. The latter, they at least know you have $490k in equity

/ Debit vs. Credit Cards #220  
I would love someone explain to me the algorithm they use for your credit rating.

I use to have a 849 Fica score. I'm down to a 775 now and have I have no clue as to why.
The only time that number could matter is if you want to take out a loan. I could be wrong but at the point you are in your life; if your loan officer can't give you the best rate despite what the number says, it might be time to find a new bank. JMHO...