death of regular cab pickups

/ death of regular cab pickups #331  
I think Ford kept them a little longer than the other companies. Regardless, I haven’t been assigned a work truck with those since the 80s.

Ford's system on the HD trucks is interesting; the base models are standard locking hubs, the rest will lock with a button on the dash. However, should that auto-locking system fail, they can be manually locked in. 👍

20230410_154830.jpg

I went from GM, to RAM, on to Ford, and these were a bit of a surprise to me.

/ death of regular cab pickups #332  
It's where you go before going to IHOP

My PSD has as a couple program positions (there's a knob to set program: stock, high idle, +30, +50, +75, +100) that the stock hpop can't keep up with the fuel delivery for very long. I mostly run it on the +30 or +50, seems happiest there (and curiously enough gets more miles per gallon than the stock as well)...
Take a look at the Adrenaline pump from DieselSite when your HPOP dies. That's the pump I run. CNCfab build a very well regarded pump too and they also make the best HPOP lines IMO.

/ death of regular cab pickups #333  
I have said repeatedly that I don’t need 1000 ft/lbs of torque. So don’t try to out do the competition with more HP and torque. Out do the competition in how easy the truck is to maintain or fix. Just changing the oil filter is a pain on a Ram. One of the selling points for my Case 75C was the first major service interval is 600 hours.

If engineers just made things better that would be… ah…. Better :)

/ death of regular cab pickups #334  
It's where you go before going to IHOP

My PSD has as a couple program positions (there's a knob to set program: stock, high idle, +30, +50, +75, +100) that the stock hpop can't keep up with the fuel delivery for very long. I mostly run it on the +30 or +50, seems happiest there (and curiously enough gets more miles per gallon than the stock as well)...
Yep. Where I run mine unless pulling my GN loaded. Then I bump it up to "medium tow" or "heavy tow".

/ death of regular cab pickups #335  
Yep. Where I run mine unless pulling my GN loaded. Then I bump it up to "medium tow" or "heavy tow".
I don't tow heavy any more (barely ever did) and haven't bothered to put in any exhaust temp gauges so I mostly keep it mellow, only occasionally get on the pedal hard and then only for a bit. Every time I think about upgrading the truck I think "dude you drive this like 1-2k miles a year and kbb pretends it's only worth $10k so it's hard to see putting much money into it for extras I'll almost never use...

/ death of regular cab pickups #336  
I don't tow heavy any more (barely ever did) and haven't bothered to put in any exhaust temp gauges so I mostly keep it mellow, only occasionally get on the pedal hard and then only for a bit. Every time I think about upgrading the truck I think "dude you drive this like 1-2k miles a year and kbb pretends it's only worth $10k so it's hard to see putting much money into it for extras I'll almost never use...
My personal truck is not even tuned. Only "upgrades" are turbo, down pipe and HPOP and efuel. My goal was/is best running truck with no software tuning.

/ death of regular cab pickups #337  
I was looking for a used extended cab pickup and they turned out to be rather rare. Almost the entire used pickup market now is the four door sedan with an open air trunk that is labeled a "crew cab"....

/ death of regular cab pickups #338  
Add a plow to that crew cab long bed dually like mine!

/ death of regular cab pickups #339  
Complexity in our vehicles isn't going away. Expectations are higher, regulations are more stringent, manufacturers load on the options for more profit.

I've owned over 150 cars since I was 16, some ridiculous, some sublime. The old stuff was simple, as the vehicles got newer and newer (and actually better and better), they got more and more complex. This meant if I was going to fix them myself, I had to upgrade my skill levels and my tool box. That's fine, I like the challenge, love learning, and hate to pay retail prices for crappy work which I will have to redo anyway.

The current "Queen of the fleet" is a Mercedes convertible. (No it is not a pickup truck, but if I were single, it might be a pickup car . . . never mind.) It is mind-boggling complex. It is a triumph of German engineering - never use one part where ten will suffice. I am continually amazed how they got all those trick techno-doo-dads squeezed into one rather small package, but they did, and they all work and it looks good, too. I have lost count of the computer modules in it, the sound system is fiber-optics (!) it has stuff I'm still discovering. The heat and A/C controls alone get several pages of small print in the owner's manual.

Anyway, this is NOT a vehicle that I can expect to fix with duct tape and baling wire (I've had a few that I could ;-) so I bought an aftermarket diagnostics computer. I got a deal on it, someone bought it and paid $450 for it (which was cheap) but it wouldn't fit his car, and he offered it to me for $50 - which I snapped up.

It plugs into the "advanced OBD-II port" with a 37 pin connector, and most of those pins are used, not blank. It runs a very thorough diagnostic program on everything, and I mean everything, engine, transmission, fuel system, emissions controls, electrical system, SRS and ABS, tire pressure monitoring system, you name it, it checks AND reports back what it found.

In ten minutes it does tests that would take hours and hours of diagnostic procedures "by hand". Cheating? Perhaps, but these cars would likely be unfixable and utterly unaffordable if troubleshooting had to be done "the old way" (i.e. by someone who knows something). The computer reduces me to a parts changer - but it tells me precisely WHICH obscure, exotic part to change, and in a really complex system the alternative is to just throw expensive parts at it until it works again - not acceptable.

Two years ago the A/C went out. Argh. Visions of dollar signs dancing in my head. Hook up the diagnostics computer, five minutes later it tells me "Module 1157 out of range". OK, computer, want to tell me what module 1157 is thinking? "Module 1157 reports outside air temperature is -40C, zero percent humidity." This is in Florida. In August. As they say in the UK, Not bloody likely.

Look up MB part number, it is $400 new - but it is not a wear item like tires or serpentine belts, it simply failed. Check part number on eBay, $11.72 delivered (parts yard), one plug and three screws later, the A/C works perfectly.

This thing pointed me directly to the problem in five minutes. I honestly think that is the only practical way to deal with late model vehicles that are orders of magnitude more complex than stuff that may only be several years older. The vehicles are not going to get simpler, so we have to change how we deal with the new complexity.

And yes, I do know how to rebuild carburetors, do brakes, shocks, engine overhauls, even manual transmissions (they're no fun) but I draw the line at automatic transmissions. (I did have to look up HPOP, but that's because the only diesel I own is my Kubota, which doesn't use one - I think.)

The problem arises when diagnostics boxes and service information isn't available. (Hello John Deere . . . ). I CAN fix it myself, but if the dealer or manufacturer says no, you can't because (insert whatever BS reason they use to prevent me), then I will absolutely not buy their product. Obviously, I support right to repair laws, and not just for toasters and microwaves. If I can't fix it myself because the seller won't let me, I will not buy it and I don't want to own it.

In theory, EVs will be simpler . . . but I'm not holding my breath.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
I wish I had one of those diagnostic devices when we had our Mercedes.

/ death of regular cab pickups #340  
I was looking for a used extended cab pickup and they turned out to be rather rare. Almost the entire used pickup market now is the four door sedan with an open air trunk that is labeled a "crew cab"....
That's not true where I live, "used" extended cab pu's are all over the place! Thing is, they now have "shortened" forward facing doors instead of suicide doors with no post.

The reason GM added the post, is to get a MUCH higher rating in a roll over crash, as that post supports the roof MUCH better.

You see them as a crew cab, but that's an even longer animal.

SR