death of regular cab pickups

/ death of regular cab pickups #321  
Complexity in our vehicles isn't going away. Expectations are higher, regulations are more stringent, manufacturers load on the options for more profit.

I've owned over 150 cars since I was 16, some ridiculous, some sublime. The old stuff was simple, as the vehicles got newer and newer (and actually better and better), they got more and more complex. This meant if I was going to fix them myself, I had to upgrade my skill levels and my tool box. That's fine, I like the challenge, love learning, and hate to pay retail prices for crappy work which I will have to redo anyway.

The current "Queen of the fleet" is a Mercedes convertible. (No it is not a pickup truck, but if I were single, it might be a pickup car . . . never mind.) It is mind-boggling complex. It is a triumph of German engineering - never use one part where ten will suffice. I am continually amazed how they got all those trick techno-doo-dads squeezed into one rather small package, but they did, and they all work and it looks good, too. I have lost count of the computer modules in it, the sound system is fiber-optics (!) it has stuff I'm still discovering. The heat and A/C controls alone get several pages of small print in the owner's manual.

Anyway, this is NOT a vehicle that I can expect to fix with duct tape and baling wire (I've had a few that I could ;-) so I bought an aftermarket diagnostics computer. I got a deal on it, someone bought it and paid $450 for it (which was cheap) but it wouldn't fit his car, and he offered it to me for $50 - which I snapped up.

It plugs into the "advanced OBD-II port" with a 37 pin connector, and most of those pins are used, not blank. It runs a very thorough diagnostic program on everything, and I mean everything, engine, transmission, fuel system, emissions controls, electrical system, SRS and ABS, tire pressure monitoring system, you name it, it checks AND reports back what it found.

In ten minutes it does tests that would take hours and hours of diagnostic procedures "by hand". Cheating? Perhaps, but these cars would likely be unfixable and utterly unaffordable if troubleshooting had to be done "the old way" (i.e. by someone who knows something). The computer reduces me to a parts changer - but it tells me precisely WHICH obscure, exotic part to change, and in a really complex system the alternative is to just throw expensive parts at it until it works again - not acceptable.

Two years ago the A/C went out. Argh. Visions of dollar signs dancing in my head. Hook up the diagnostics computer, five minutes later it tells me "Module 1157 out of range". OK, computer, want to tell me what module 1157 is thinking? "Module 1157 reports outside air temperature is -40C, zero percent humidity." This is in Florida. In August. As they say in the UK, Not bloody likely.

Look up MB part number, it is $400 new - but it is not a wear item like tires or serpentine belts, it simply failed. Check part number on eBay, $11.72 delivered (parts yard), one plug and three screws later, the A/C works perfectly.

This thing pointed me directly to the problem in five minutes. I honestly think that is the only practical way to deal with late model vehicles that are orders of magnitude more complex than stuff that may only be several years older. The vehicles are not going to get simpler, so we have to change how we deal with the new complexity.

And yes, I do know how to rebuild carburetors, do brakes, shocks, engine overhauls, even manual transmissions (they're no fun) but I draw the line at automatic transmissions. (I did have to look up HPOP, but that's because the only diesel I own is my Kubota, which doesn't use one - I think.)

The problem arises when diagnostics boxes and service information isn't available. (Hello John Deere . . . ). I CAN fix it myself, but if the dealer or manufacturer says no, you can't because (insert whatever BS reason they use to prevent me), then I will absolutely not buy their product. Obviously, I support right to repair laws, and not just for toasters and microwaves. If I can't fix it myself because the seller won't let me, I will not buy it and I don't want to own it.

In theory, EVs will be simpler . . . but I'm not holding my breath.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ death of regular cab pickups #322  
I grew up in the timber country of E. Oregon. Small lumber mill town. All the ''6 packs" in those days were called "crummies" because that's all all the Dodges looked after a week in the woods.
Yeah, the term seems to be interchangeable among loggers. But I’ve heard them call anything that carries a crew to the woods a crummy, including Suburbans. Six packs are a 4 door truck that looks pretty crummy after a week of hauling loggers.

/ death of regular cab pickups #323  
Yeah, the term seems to be interchangeable among loggers. But I’ve heard them call anything that carries a crew to the woods a crummy, including Suburbans. Six packs are a 4 door truck that looks pretty crummy after a week of hauling loggers.
I think back in the late 50's only Dodge and IH made 4 door pickups. No Burbans in my area.

/ death of regular cab pickups #324  
I think back in the late 50's only Dodge and IH made 4 door pickups. No Burbans in my area.
Actually I saw a 1950s model Burban at a car show once, but I’m sure they weren’t too common.

/ death of regular cab pickups #325  
Complexity in our vehicles isn't going away. Expectations are higher, regulations are more stringent, manufacturers load on the options for more profit.

I've owned over 150 cars since I was 16, some ridiculous, some sublime. The old stuff was simple, as the vehicles got newer and newer (and actually better and better), they got more and more complex. This meant if I was going to fix them myself, I had to upgrade my skill levels and my tool box. That's fine, I like the challenge, love learning, and hate to pay retail prices for crappy work which I will have to redo anyway.

The current "Queen of the fleet" is a Mercedes convertible. (No it is not a pickup truck, but if I were single, it might be a pickup car . . . never mind.) It is mind-boggling complex. It is a triumph of German engineering - never use one part where ten will suffice. I am continually amazed how they got all those trick techno-doo-dads squeezed into one rather small package, but they did, and they all work and it looks good, too. I have lost count of the computer modules in it, the sound system is fiber-optics (!) it has stuff I'm still discovering. The heat and A/C controls alone get several pages of small print in the owner's manual.

Anyway, this is NOT a vehicle that I can expect to fix with duct tape and baling wire (I've had a few that I could ;-) so I bought an aftermarket diagnostics computer. I got a deal on it, someone bought it and paid $450 for it (which was cheap) but it wouldn't fit his car, and he offered it to me for $50 - which I snapped up.

It plugs into the "advanced OBD-II port" with a 37 pin connector, and most of those pins are used, not blank. It runs a very thorough diagnostic program on everything, and I mean everything, engine, transmission, fuel system, emissions controls, electrical system, SRS and ABS, tire pressure monitoring system, you name it, it checks AND reports back what it found.

In ten minutes it does tests that would take hours and hours of diagnostic procedures "by hand". Cheating? Perhaps, but these cars would likely be unfixable and utterly unaffordable if troubleshooting had to be done "the old way" (i.e. by someone who knows something). The computer reduces me to a parts changer - but it tells me precisely WHICH obscure, exotic part to change, and in a really complex system the alternative is to just throw expensive parts at it until it works again - not acceptable.

Two years ago the A/C went out. Argh. Visions of dollar signs dancing in my head. Hook up the diagnostics computer, five minutes later it tells me "Module 1157 out of range". OK, computer, want to tell me what module 1157 is thinking? "Module 1157 reports outside air temperature is -40C, zero percent humidity." This is in Florida. In August. As they say in the UK, Not bloody likely.

Look up MB part number, it is $400 new - but it is not a wear item like tires or serpentine belts, it simply failed. Check part number on eBay, $11.72 delivered (parts yard), one plug and three screws later, the A/C works perfectly.

This thing pointed me directly to the problem in five minutes. I honestly think that is the only practical way to deal with late model vehicles that are orders of magnitude more complex than stuff that may only be several years older. The vehicles are not going to get simpler, so we have to change how we deal with the new complexity.

And yes, I do know how to rebuild carburetors, do brakes, shocks, engine overhauls, even manual transmissions (they're no fun) but I draw the line at automatic transmissions. (I did have to look up HPOP, but that's because the only diesel I own is my Kubota, which doesn't use one - I think.)

The problem arises when diagnostics boxes and service information isn't available. (Hello John Deere . . . ). I CAN fix it myself, but if the dealer or manufacturer says no, you can't because (insert whatever BS reason they use to prevent me), then I will absolutely not buy their product. Obviously, I support right to repair laws, and not just for toasters and microwaves. If I can't fix it myself because the seller won't let me, I will not buy it and I don't want to own it.

In theory, EVs will be simpler . . . but I'm not holding my breath.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
I use autoenginuity for my Powerstroke, Duramax and my wifes VW. Its not the complexity which makes the job hard its the engineering of the vehicle. When you have to pull a cab to remove heads or do a engine swap that puts things out of the reach of most home mechanics. Also when the failure points are cost prohibitive thats a deal breaker. I'm not going to buy a clapped out post emission diesel for repair when I could spend 1/8th the price repairing a pre emission diesel with a better outcome. I also doubt your Kubota uses a HPOP unless its HEUI injection which its not. I have no idea what kind of injection your Kubota is. My Mahindra is a Bosch common rail same with the Duramax. Without a diagnostic tool you are just throwing parts.

/ death of regular cab pickups #327  
I use autoenginuity for my Powerstroke, Duramax and my wifes VW. Its not the complexity which makes the job hard its the engineering of the vehicle. When you have to pull a cab to remove heads or do an engine swap that puts things out of the reach of most home mechanics. Also when the failure points are cost prohibitive thats a deal breaker. I'm not going to buy a clapped out post emission diesel for repair when I could spend 1/8th the price repairing a pre emission diesel with a better outcome. I also doubt your Kubota uses a HPOP unless its HEUI injection which its not. I have no idea what kind of injection your Kubota is. My Mahindra is a Bosch common rail same with the Duramax. Without a diagnostic tool you are just throwing parts.
You ever notice how when one buys a new vehicle or tractor they never include the diagnostics tools to fix them?

Why not? If it’s just plug-in 37 pin plug-in diagnostic computer that finds the bad part, well heck, why not just build that into the center stack of the vehicle or the dash cluster of the tractor?!?!?
Then the owner can just order the part.

Or for that matter, let’s take it one step further-why not just uplink it to the parts warehouse and as soon as the part fails, have it shipped directly to you with instructions on how to replace it?

If all this modernization of vehicles is being done purely for the end-user/customer’s “benefit”, let’s be serious and cut out the service department.

But see that’s NOT why they are being modernized. They are being modernized to make the dealers service department LOTS more money by changing repairs from wrenches (which we are accustomed to) to computers, which many of us are not.

/ death of regular cab pickups #328  
You ever notice how when one buys a new vehicle or tractor they never include the diagnostics tools to fix them?

Why not? If it’s just plug-in 37 pin plug-in diagnostic computer that finds the bad part, well heck, why not just build that into the center stack of the vehicle or the dash cluster of the tractor?!?!?
Then the owner can just order the part.

Or for that matter, let’s take it one step further-why not just uplink it to the parts warehouse and as soon as the part fails, have it shipped directly to you with instructions on how to replace it?

If all this modernization of vehicles is being done purely for the end-user/customer’s “benefit”, let’s be serious and cut out the service department.

But see that’s NOT why they are being modernized. They are being modernized to make the dealers service department LOTS more money by changing repairs from wrenches (which we are accustomed to) to computers, which many of us are not.
Doing that would be way too hard. Just ask them. The automakers will tell you... It can't be done. Even though Ford just patented tech that will auto repo your truck/car autonomously if you miss a payment. 😂 I constantly hear the "I was alive in the 60s for the smog" argument supporting emission regulations. Well we fixed that. You don't need to keep fixing that. That is called fixing it till its broke. Fix something else. The more complicated these vehicles get to meet regulations the more cost is passed to the consumer and the more quality and longevity is sacrificed. I dont want a car/truck with variable cam timing and AFM or MDS which add cost. That cost is not eaten by the manufacture its passed to you. In order to get you to by the car, cost is cut in other places. You get a nice plastic oil pan or once nicely welded aluminum air conditioning tubing is now plastic, your forged rods are now PM rods and enjoy your beautiful plastic intake manifold. If they cut all vehicle emissions to zero they wont be happy they will just come after the next thing to "fix". Buddy you eat too much, you use too much water, you have too many kids, you need to be that cool/warm in winter/summer? Have newer vehicles gotten more reliable? Yes. To a point. They meet their b50 average and then they are about done and head to the crusher or how ever they dispose of these things now. The pendulum always swings back IMO peak auto reliability in general was early 90's until early 2000's.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / death of regular cab pickups #329  
Building the diagnostics computer right into the car would be a good idea for those (few) of us who know something about vehicles.

When I ran the warranty department for Max Hoffman, who was the BMW car importer for the east half of the US until BMWNA took it away from him in about 1970, we noticed something quite interesting. The "oil pressure gauge" on the 1600 two doors (first of the "sporty" BMWs, and the car they built their reputation on) wasn't a gauge at all! It was a solenoid, and as soon as you turned on the ignition, it would register 50 or 60 PSI without the engine even running!

Of course, I asked why . . . I was told that it was to prevent ****-retentive BMW owners from comparing oil pressure readings and having the guy with the lower reading come back to the dealer and complain that there was something wrong with his car because HIS oil pressure was lower than that of his neighbor's car and DEMANDING that it be fixed under warranty IMMEDIATELY. (Remove instrument, bend needle slightly, replace instrument. Send warranty claim to the Fatherland "Recalibrate oil pressure indicator", $250 labor, no parts.)

Some cars do have diagnostics procedures built into the climate control systems but they are usually pretty arcane and hard to interpret. Joining the owner's group on the internet is the key here.

Why won't we see built-in diagnostics computers? They add to the cost of the vehicle, they will decrease visits to the very profitable service departments of the dealers, and most people won't know what they are looking at or they will become vehicular hypochondriacs who will plague the dealers at 4AM because one LED flashed for half a second and they are convinced their vehicle is about to explode.

Lowest common denominator unfortunately.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ death of regular cab pickups #330  
I'll bet less than 1% know what an HPOP is? ;)
It's where you go before going to IHOP

My PSD has as a couple program positions (there's a knob to set program: stock, high idle, +30, +50, +75, +100) that the stock hpop can't keep up with the fuel delivery for very long. I mostly run it on the +30 or +50, seems happiest there (and curiously enough gets more miles per gallon than the stock as well)...