DDT & Lyme disease

/ DDT & Lyme disease #61  
I'm sticking with CM's position on this one.

Thanks Tom. I'm reporting the 'news' regarding Lyme, and am just the messenger here, no need to shoot.:thumbsup:
One of the Lyme area people I referred to earlier used to work for the Sub-base as one of their top tier senior nuclear engineers. If/when he went on vacation, they needed to be able to track and find him anywhere in the World, (prior to GPS), due to the significance of his work at Electric Boat. If case anything went 'south' and subs needed to be scrambled, and similar potential big problems that might arise if/when someone pushed the wrong 'button'. Yikes!:eek:

Side note: after 911 the Thames River near EB became restricted waters and could not be accessed by any boat that was not directly connected to EB facilities. Machine gun equipped patrol boats were the norm, around the facility and they meant business. I was unaware that my son and a friend drove my center console near that area, not knowing any better, and not having my permission to be in the Groton area of the coastal waters. He got a right big chewing when he returned and I found out about it.:smiley_aafz:

/ DDT & Lyme disease #62  
Quotes are from post #58 unless noted otherwise.

IF YOU say so, it must be TRUTH, huh?!
And, NOT necessarily - Lyme is where it was named Lyme. Plum Island is where biological experiments were taking place and ticks were what became 'weaponized', for what purpose I don't know, nor do I care why it came about. It just happened, for all the wrong reasons, and it escaped its boundaries; now it's rampant... You do the arithmetic.

YOU say it's more evident elsewhere, NOW, but not when it was discovered and named.
You also say the Ice Man has it/had it - Lyme. Show proof he has/had it.
Aliens from outer space probably have it now too, but I'm not saying they do or don't, just that they might.

So, based on a conversation with an individual who has apparently read the Carroll book, it is an accepted fact that "ticks were what became 'weaponized', for what purpose I don't know, nor do I care why it came about. It just happened, for all the wrong reasons, and it escaped its boundaries; now it's rampant."

Have you ever noticed that authors who write for the mass market often make sensational claims that don't stand up to scrutiny?

Have you ever heard the expression "Correlation does not imply causality"?

The fact that the disease was first identified in Lyme doesn't imply that it originated there.

Here's the link to the Ice Man study: New insights into the Tyrolean Iceman's origin and phenotype as inferred by whole-genome sequencing | Nature Communications.

I'm not sure whether you will accept the results from a peer-reviewed article, seeing as how the topic didn't come up in your conversation with the individual who you perceive as being very knowledgeable about Lyme disease.

I don't 'judge' my friends, nor do I need to justify their credibility.

If I struck up a conversation with an individual and the Alchian-Allen theorem came up, I am confident that I would be be able to assess whether he/she is blowing smoke. On the other hand, if string theory came up, I wouldn't have a clue as to his/her credibility. I certainly wouldn't accept his/her comments as being factual. Before spouting off in public about string theory, I would try to do my own research in order to assess the credibility of the individual.

Not everything one knows can be easily proven to be the case, but that doesn't make it false.

In my opinion, an ambitious trial lawyer would be beating a path to the nearest Federal Court to submit a class action lawsuit for those afflicted by Lyme disease if there was any credible evidence that the Federal Government "weaponized" ticks that later escaped from Plum Island.

Have there been any such lawsuits? If not, the conspiracy theory doesn't pass the smell test in my book.

Have Representatives and/or Senators from Connecticut requested an investigation based on the "fact" that "ticks were what became 'weaponized', for what purpose I don't know, nor do I care why it came about. It just happened, for all the wrong reasons, and it escaped its boundaries; now it's rampant."

Not real scientific from where I sit. It's a study, not fact just because researchers did research. Depending on who is the money behind studies, the outcome is often tainted or pointed in the direction the 'buyers' want to see a particular conclusion for their own agendas.

So, you have problems with the study's findings. Here a link to the full study: MLST of housekeeping genes captures geographic population structure and suggests a European origin of Borrelia burgdorferi.

Publication in a scientific journal is a "trial by fire" for the authors' ideas. Here's a golden opportunity for you. You can obtain the researchers' data, conduct your own analysis, and then submit a comment to the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science in which you document the flaws in the study.

This is not an article providing a proof in a math journal. Statistical inference is used, and so Type I and Type II errors are in play. Authors use terms like "suggest" and "appear" in recognition that those errors can occur.

The study was funded by the Wellcome Trust (a UK-based biomedical charity) and the NIH. Do you have any evidence that either organization tries to "buy" research outcomes?

Personally I'm not interested in conspiracy theories, and I don't have the time nor interest in drilling down through all the studies, evidence or un or scientific findings to come up with the Holy Grail of where Lyme came from, how it got there, etc. I have relied on those who know more than I because they have lived it, where it is most frequently believed by the largest number of people to have originated and how/why, etc.
It's good enough for me, and it's not some wild azzed throw out a question about DDT and Lyme hoping someone will bite on it, like the Op posted about at the thread opening.

So, conclusions as to the origin of Lyme disease should be based on public opinion rather than scientific evidence? How do you square that statement with your statement that "(n)o, science is based on facts, not wishful thinking or creationism and other devoid of facts nonsense"? What other scientific questions should be addressed by public opinion?

BTW, here are some examples of public opinion according to 25 Unbelievable Things Americans Believe.

"More than half of Americans suspect that a secretive global elite is trying to create a New World Order."

"More than three quarters of Americans believe there are indisputable evidences that aliens have already visited our planet."

Screenshot 2017-08-14 at 2.44.49 PM.png

Steve

Last edited:
   / DDT & Lyme disease #63  
You guys have to lighten up.
The supposition that Lyme disease is an escaped experiment from a biological weapons facility is a far fetched,very remote possibility; but maybe there really are little green bodies in a hangar in New Mexico, too. Certainly unlikely, but just possible enough. The only certainty to any of these arguments is that we will never know the absolute, unshakeable truth. There is no solid empirical evidence to back any of the more outlandish claims.
I'd love to follow this post more but Ancient Aliens is on the tube.

/ DDT & Lyme disease #64  
Quotes are from post #58 unless noted otherwise.

So, based on a conversation with an individual who has apparently read the Carroll book, it is an accepted fact that "ticks were what became 'weaponized', for what purpose I don't know, nor do I care why it came about. It just happened, for all the wrong reasons, and it escaped its boundaries; now it's rampant."

Wow, so you are Karnac the magnificent, eh?! You KNOW that my friend read a certain book from as far away as S. Carolina? Are pigs flying through the pasture gates yet down there?

Have you ever noticed that authors who write for the mass market often make sensational claims that don't stand up to scrutiny?

I'm tossing out a wild azzed guess here; you must know this, right?

Have you ever heard the expression "Correlation does not imply causality"?

Since I've had prior 'conversations/debates with you, which you may or may not recall since you first addressed me as the 'poster' in you opening statement about my original post in this thread, I'd have to guess you threw out the above 'gem' as part of your rebuttal at some point...

The fact that the disease was first identified in Lyme doesn't imply that it originated there.

Doesn't necessarily imply that it did not originate there either. And I am and have been referring to Plum Island as the location where tick experimentation got loose and spread what is commonly referred to as Lyme disease in the general nomenclature.

Here's the link to the Ice Man study: New insights into the Tyrolean Iceman's origin and phenotype as inferred by whole-genome sequencing | Nature Communications.

I'm not sure whether you will accept the results from a peer-reviewed article, seeing as how the topic didn't come up in your conversation with the individual who you perceive as being very knowledgeable about Lyme disease.

So you were there for my conversation? You know the content and what we discussed? Why not tell me more about what went on. What did I have for lunch? Who else was present?

If I struck up a conversation with an individual and the Alchian-Allen theorem came up, I am confident that I would be be able to assess whether he/she is blowing smoke. On the other hand, if string theory came up, I wouldn't have a clue as to his/her credibility. I certainly wouldn't accept his/her comments as being factual. Before spouting off in public about string theory, I would try to do my own research in order to assess the credibility of the individual.

You sure seem hung up about who might be or might not be 'blowing smoke', as you put it. I suspect you run into people blowing smoke at you quite often having been in academia, no? I am not and did not 'spout off in public'; your terminology, and once again, I'm NOT you, and don't have to follow your methods, for instance, 'doing more research' prior to discussing what someone I know and trust told me during a conversation about Lyme disease, resulting from me asking a question about someone who is currently suffering from it's ravages of his body. The person I spoke with at length, told me what they know about it's origins and so on. They did not discuss books read, though some people involved in what went on and where, were mentioned. I don't recall being familiar with the names of those mentioned. So sue me, if you don't like my recollection of the event, and the complete details of the conversation. If I'd known there would have been an upcoming quiz I would have studied harder.

In my opinion, an ambitious trial lawyer would be beating a path to the nearest Federal Court to submit a class action lawsuit for those afflicted by Lyme disease if there was any credible evidence that the Federal Government "weaponized" ticks that later escaped from Plum Island.

Who knows, possibly what was the experiment went wrong and that is why they were released from the island in the first place. Any number of possibilities exist and I don't have the answers as to how things went down. It was discussed in my original conversation that turning ticks into a weapon might be a not so well thought out idea in the first place, and maybe they couldn't make ticks a weapon in the end. So infected ticks, that never became weaponized, were released and all they were carrying was Lyme, which originated in space and was dropped on Ice Man as a cruel Alien joke on us poor humans?! Then later identified and named Lyme, etc.
Maybe some hotshot lawyer can make his bones chasing after the Plum Island 'smoking gun'; I used that term since I know you like things that blow smoke...

Have there been any such lawsuits? If not, the conspiracy theory doesn't pass the smell test in my book.

So now because as far as you know no trial lawyer has beaten a path to court to sue about Plum Island your sense of smell is off put?

Have Representatives and/or Senators from Connecticut requested an investigation based on the "fact" that "ticks were what became 'weaponized', for what purpose I don't know, nor do I care why it came about. It just happened, for all the wrong reasons, and it escaped its boundaries; now it's rampant."

Don't know - CT is not my home State, and I don't follow everything that does or doesn't happen in their State legislature. I do know in their infinite wisdom they are going to reinstitute highway tolls to increase revenue, since so many are leaving CT and other N. England States in droves, partly due to high taxes.

So, you have problems with the study's findings. Here a link to the full study: MLST of housekeeping genes captures geographic population structure and suggests a European origin of Borrelia burgdorferi.

Publication in a scientific journal is a "trial by fire" for the authors' ideas. Here's a golden opportunity for you. You can obtain the researchers' data, conduct your own analysis, and then submit a comment to the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science in which you document the flaws in the study.

This is not an article providing a proof in a math journal. Statistical inference is used, and so Type I and Type II errors are in play. Authors use terms like "suggest" and "appear" in recognition that those errors can occur.

You forget we've already exchanged credentials, so I'll remind you - my background in both undergraduate and graduate education was in the scientific arena, so scientific journals and how publications are written and so forth is nothing new to me. My point was and is that errors allow for those doing journal work for peer review and similar publications allows for not just errors, but also for being completely WRONG. Not always, but not outside the realm of possibility either. 'Trial by fire' means sometimes people will get burned.

Two very important things learned in graduate work, and known previous to it, were to look at where the money comes from whenever looking at any study, etc. And look at what was known to be 'truth' at any point in time and then go out ten or twenty years into the future and see if what was previously considered to be 'Gospel' is still so. You know question authority; subvert the dominant paradigm, etc.

For instance, look at the dieting 'industry'. What it said years ago is now completely discounted. And yet look at the American public as a bullet proof example as to how well dieting and other methods of staying healthy have worked in the US. NOT at all - rampant obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc. Study after study, in medical journals and elsewhere are mostly all full of *****. They tell us how to do what is needed to lose weight, then they turn to another method, count calories, eat lean foods, fat free foods, then Fatkins diet, etc. All in it for the money, and for their own self-promotion/agendas.

The study was funded by the Wellcome Trust (a UK-based biomedical charity) and the NIH. Do you have any evidence that either organization tries to "buy" research outcomes?

The very nature of paid for research implies potential for biased outcomes. I'm not saying the study in question is biased, just that the possibility exists and ought to be taken into account when reading any study/research, paper, etc. To do otherwise would allow one to have smoke blown at them on a fairly regular basis. Example: Nine out of ten dentists recommend 'Pest' to their patients who want to get rid of bugs in their teeth... or similar paid for outcomes from those who want to push a certain result or finding by a bunch of so called experts in about every field of endeavor known to man.

Speaking of smoke; remember the tobacco guys who swore up and down that their findings were completely devoid of any connection to Cancer(s)?! Nobody thought big tobacco could be brought down, nobody. I did believe they were in for a big surprise, and no one would listen, and all told me I was full of it. Boy were they ALL wrong on that one. To me it was too painfully obvious that the stuff was going to hit the fan. I'm NOT saying that makes me smarter than everyone else; maybe just tuned in, and definately smarter than a third grader!:laughing:

So, conclusions as to the origin of Lyme disease should be based on public opinion rather than scientific evidence? How do you square that statement with your statement that "(n)o, science is based on facts, not wishful thinking or creationism and other devoid of facts nonsense"? What other scientific questions should be addressed by public opinion?

No. I don't mistake my opinion for fact. Nor do I believe public opinion is the answer to tough questions for which there are no easy answers. There are different beliefs as to where Lyme originated. No question. For some that means a way to make a living off the 'controversy' of what the exact origin is/was. I don't have the absolute answers, but I do know this: the gibberish that started this thread about the OP 'thinking' his 'reading' of Rachel Carson's Silent Spring is 'junk science' is so ridiculous it amazes me. There is someone who believes their opinion IS fact. And clearly someone who has no clue to what has gone on regarding things like DDT or Lyme on any level. Thinking that continued use of DDT would have killed all the ticks or ridded us of Lyme is preposterous.

BTW, here are some examples of public opinion according to 25 Unbelievable Things Americans Believe.

"More than half of Americans suspect that a secretive global elite is trying to create a New World Order."

Yeah, mostly Republicans...

"More than three quarters of Americans believe there are indisputable evidences that aliens have already visited our planet."

Area 51 baby!:laughing:

View attachment 518535

Steve

Phew, it's now past my bedtime. Thanks to those who read these posts, they're meant to be useful to some...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, in all the excitement, did I fire six shots or seven? No, that's not the right reference. :eek: Oh I remember now- hey Steve, did you learned yourself how to draw those big circles all by youzself of did you axe for help with those?!:dance1:

/ DDT & Lyme disease #65  
Quotes are from Post #64 unless specified otherwise.

You sure seem hung up about who might be or might not be 'blowing smoke', as you put it. I suspect you run into people blowing smoke at you quite often having been in academia, no? I am not and did not 'spout off in public'; your terminology, and once again, I'm NOT you, and don't have to follow your methods, for instance, 'doing more research' prior to discussing what someone I know and trust told me during a conversation about Lyme disease, resulting from me asking a question about someone who is currently suffering from it's ravages of his body. The person I spoke with at length, told me what they know about it's origins and so on. They did not discuss books read, though some people involved in what went on and where, were mentioned. I don't recall being familiar with the names of those mentioned. So sue me, if you don't like my recollection of the event, and the complete details of the conversation. If I'd known there would have been an upcoming quiz I would have studied harder.

Claiming that Lyme disease is due to "weaponized" ticks from Plum Island based on hearsay (and in the absence of any credible evidence) is "spouting off" in my book.

I have a proposal. For our mutual edification, you and I should prepare a list of questions that you could submit to your knowledgeable friend if his health permits. You could take notes of his responses if you don't trust your memory.

Here are my questions. (I may think of others later on.)

1. What evidence does he have of ticks being "weaponized" at Plum Island?

2. How were the ticks "weaponized"? By genetic engineering of the bacteria responsible for Lyme disease? By isolation and "selective reproduction" of "potent" strains of the bacteria responsible for Lyme disease? Some other method?

3. How does he square the "weaponized" tick theory with the evidence from New insights into the Tyrolean Iceman's origin and phenotype as inferred by whole-genome sequencing | Nature Communications and MLST of housekeeping genes captures geographic population structure and suggests a European origin of Borrelia burgdorferi that indicates the bacteria have been around for millennia?

Speaking of squaring evidence, you wrote in Post # 58 in reference to the second study listed above that:

Not real scientific from where I sit. It's a study, not fact just because researchers did research. Depending on who is the money behind studies, the outcome is often tainted or pointed in the direction the 'buyers' want to see a particular conclusion for their own agendas.

In Post #49 you wrote:

It's junk if it doesn't fit you personal agenda and belief system.

Do you think your appraisal of the study was colored by the fact that it doesn't square with the "weaponized" tick theory?

I don't have the absolute answers, but I do know this: the gibberish that started this thread about the OP 'thinking' his 'reading' of Rachel Carson's Silent Spring is 'junk science' is so ridiculous it amazes me. There is someone who believes their opinion IS fact. And clearly someone who has no clue to what has gone on regarding things like DDT or Lyme on any level. Thinking that continued use of DDT would have killed all the ticks or ridded us of Lyme is preposterous.

And thinking that Lyme disease originated from ticks that were "weaponized" at Plum Island is no less preposterous.

hey Steve, did you learned yourself how to draw those big circles all by youzself of did you axe for help with those?

I channeled Mark Perry, Master of the Venn Diagram.

Steve

Last edited:
   / DDT & Lyme disease #66  
Claiming that Lyme disease is due to "weaponized" ticks from Plum Island based on hearsay (and in the absence of any credible evidence) is "spouting off" in my book.

I think you are naive in regards to war time tactics.

/ DDT & Lyme disease #67  
Quotes are from Post #64 unless specified otherwise.

I have a proposal. For our mutual edification, you and I should prepare a list of questions that you could submit to your knowledgeable friend if his health permits. You could take notes of his responses if you don't trust your memory.

My friend is not the person whom I referred to who is suffering from 'chronic' recurrence of Lyme disease. It is on his behalf, and my interest in his well being that led me to inquire further about Lyme. This led to the person who told me what I relayed here about plum Island when I asked a general question about Plum Island and any connection to Lyme(disease).
Anyway IF I happen to be back in the area and come across my friend to inquire further I'll be sure to take notes, will freehand work for you, or should I document with redundant methods, tape recorder/video, other witnesses to the conversation?
I forget, what was it I was supposed to remember?!

Here are my questions. (I may think of others later on.)

Well by all means, one stop shopping, come back soon. Is it because you can't remember what you wanted to ask?

1. What evidence does he have of ticks being "weaponized" at Plum Island?

2. How were the ticks "weaponized"? By genetic engineering of the bacteria responsible for Lyme disease? By isolation and "selective reproduction" of "potent" strains of the bacteria responsible for Lyme disease? Some other method?

3. How does he square the "weaponized" tick theory with the evidence from New insights into the Tyrolean Iceman's origin and phenotype as inferred by whole-genome sequencing | Nature Communications and MLST of housekeeping genes captures geographic population structure and suggests a European origin of Borrelia burgdorferi that indicates the bacteria have been around for millennia?

Speaking of squaring evidence, you wrote in Post # 58 in reference to the second study listed above that:

What did I write? I don't see anything you referred to?:eek:

In Post #49 you wrote:

Again, what are you saying I wrote? Are you using invisible ink?!:confused2:

Do you think your appraisal of the study was colored by the fact that it doesn't square with the "weaponized" tick theory?

I didn't appraise or read the study you cited, but I did note what you had cited, and queried about the things I commented on at that time. Therefore whether the study squared with weaponized ticks did not come into play since I did not consider anything except what I queried about when I wrote my response...

And thinking that Lyme disease originated from ticks that were "weaponized" at Plum Island is no less preposterous.

You're saying so doesn't make it a fact, just your opinion, sorry to say.

I channeled Mark Perry, Master of the Venn Diagram.

Steve

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you are naive in regards to war time tactics.

Clearly.

I suggest asking him, (Steve) if he ever worked in a military laboratory, or government facility connected to wartime use of weapons/ biological agents and the like?!

Things like sugar, cigarettes, and fluoride use in drinking water are essentially 'weapons' against the best interests of all Americans, and others Worldwide, but they are so ubiquitous in our lives little notice is taken until things are completely out of control. Profits baby, it's ALL about profits at any cost to the public- you know us guinea pigs ripe for the picking by Corporate America, Madison Avenue slicksters and the like, who praise profit over all else. It's their God, and we all are subject to it and of it.

We have major companies like Samsung and Apple admitting that they, and the NSA are taping and listening in on EVERYTHING Americans do. Even when the TV or phone is turned OFF. Laptop cameras, TV's that can listen to 'ambient noise', even when turned OFF? It's been admitted to buy the big manufacturers, as being the norm now.

Our cars track, as do our phones everywhere we go, how long we're there and can pick up a tick on our back from way up in space. Ever tried Google Earth? That's just what they let us see. Do you think they can't get closer than the writing on the bedroom wall when/if they want to crank up the resolution and 'telephoto' lens on the satellite cameras? And weaponizing a tick for some purpose unknown to the general public is too much to believe? That's where we need to draw the line on unlikely and scream preposterous?! HA! I think NOT!

/ DDT & Lyme disease #68  
My friend has also been diagnosed with the lyme disease once. Many parts of his body got red rashes and that was really pathetic to watch. Thanks to the doc who treated him in right time. From that moment, I started to hate ticks.

/ DDT & Lyme disease #69  
Quotes are from Post #67 unless specified otherwise.

"Well by all means, one stop shopping, come back soon. Is it because you can't remember what you wanted to ask?"

I do have additional questions.

Looking at the history of Lyme disease as reported in Lyme disease - Wikipedia, I don't see any reference to Plum Island as the source of Lyme disease. Why doesn't your friend correct the record so that his "evidence" can become public knowledge?

Better yet, why doesn't he publish his research in a scientific journal so that it can be subjected to "trial by fire"?

Never mind, I know the answer to that question. By the way, The Journal of Irreproducible Results doesn't count.

What did I write? I don't see anything you referred to?

Do you not understand how TBN' handles quotes?

Here's a screenshot of the relevant discussion.

Screenshot 2017-08-16 at 9.27.14 AM.png

Here's a screenshot from Post #58. See the last paragraph.

Screenshot 2017-08-16 at 7.30.54 AM.png

Again, what are you saying I wrote? Are you using invisible ink?!

Here's a screenshot from Post #49. See the second sentence of the second paragraph.

Screenshot 2017-08-16 at 7.42.17 AM.png

I suggest asking him, (Steve) if he ever worked in a military laboratory, or government facility connected to wartime use of weapons/ biological agents and the like?!

Have you?

I have been deposed as an expert witness for the plaintiffs in a lawsuit involving sarin: Contractor settles chemical exposure lawsuit | Deseret News. My reports and testimony were on statistical issues, but I did learn a few things along the way.

And weaponizing a tick for some purpose unknown to the general public is too much to believe? That's where we need to draw the line on unlikely and scream preposterous?! HA! I think NOT!

You wrote the following in Post #58.

Personally I'm not interested in conspiracy theories, and I don't have the time nor interest in drilling down through all the studies, evidence or un or scientific findings to come up with the Holy Grail of where Lyme came from, how it got there, etc. I have relied on those who know more than I because they have lived it , where it is most frequently believed by the largest number of people to have originated and how/why, etc.

Here's a screenshot from Post #58 in case you still haven't figured out how TBN handles quotes. See the second paragraph.

Screenshot 2017-08-16 at 3.27.28 PM.png

By your own admission, you haven't even bothered to do a cursory examination of the scientific evidence on the origin of Lyme disease. If you want to ignore the available scientific evidence and rely on hearsay and "public opinion" regarding a "weaponized tick" conspiracy as the the source of Lyme disease, you are free to do so.

By the way, has there been a poll to determine the public's opinion on the origin of Lyme disease? How many people were interviewed? How were the participants selected? How were the questions phrased? What was the margin of error?

"Reasoning will never make a man correct an opinion, which by reasoning he never acquired." (Attributed to Jonathan Swift)

Steve

Last edited:
   / DDT & Lyme disease #70  
Coyote machine:

This is for your edification as to how TBN handles quotes. Apparently you had neither the "time nor the interest" to figure this out for yourself. Jeez.

Here's a screenshot of Post #67.

Screenshot 2017-08-16 at 8.08.48 PM.png

Here's what I see when I select "Reply with Quote" for that message.

Screenshot 2017-08-16 at 8.16.24 PM.png

By including your responses within the quote, you have forced me to copy and paste when I reply. Turnabout is fair play.

Steve

Last edited: