d170 transaxle swap k66y

/ d170 transaxle swap k66y #1  

rocco611

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
I just picked up a new d170 riding mower that was in store inventory for a few years, weathered, seat cracked but they gave me such a good price on it, I could not pass it up. I was looking at the surplus center website and they have the k66y transaxle for less that $400. thought it would be a worthwhile upgrade at that price if it will swap into the d170. does anyone know if the k66y will swap into the d170?

thanks, :)

/ d170 transaxle swap k66y #2  
Probably could be done easy enough but it is not just a transaxle change.
You will have a rear wheel change because of the larger axle.
drive pulley on the engine and the trans will need to change
there are also extra support brackets that will most likely be needed.

I did this to an L120 a few years ago and it took me a while (along with a visit to the ER).

The L120 died a couple of years ago and I replaced it with a D170. (just had to do some carb work on that one)
I think I will be replacing the engine on the L120 soon so I will have a real "Frankenmower".
I was more than happy with the conversion---I am on 3 acres of sandy hilly natural Texas groundcover with trees.

the D170 has a deck too large to get in between some of the trees where the smaller deck of the L120 can get everywhere I need to go.

The L120 is also a capable trailer moving tool and it goes up steeep grades without even working at it.
Kinda looking forward to putting a 25hp engine on it.

Somewhere in my garage, I have a list of parts and numbers needed to this to a an L120

/ d170 transaxle swap k66y
bummer about the trip to the ER,hope it wasn't serious. thanks for the update to this old thread. since this post I did find a few threads on various sites saying the k66y will not work properly, but no specifics about why. I have been moving trailers, towing a sprayer around and touching up the area around the place I cant get to with the kubota and flail mower. so far the transaxle just gets warm to the touch. after about an hour. and that is about as much use as it gets in a month. so far I have been running it on 100 octane avgas I use in my race bikes and other equipment that sets around a long time between uses, the fuel never spoils. I have had to repair several carburetors that I used california pump gas in. I did add led lights to the front nerf bar and led bulbs to the head lights. I can mow after dark and see just fine. I am also building gauge pod for oil pressure, volts and oil temp. I plan on changing the trans oil to synthetic and adding a temp sensor to the drain plug once I drill and tap the transaxle. despite the bad rep this series of mower has for the weak trans I am really impressed with it so far.