Cylinder repair suggestions?

/ Cylinder repair suggestions? #11  
Is the back side original? I would turn the shaft 180 degrees and drill a zerk hole on that side and put the weld to the back.

This ^^^. There are no awards given for pretty welds. The reward for a successful weld is a useful part.

/ Cylinder repair suggestions? #12  
I was primarily thinking that it would be easier to drill and tap there, less chance of hitting a hardened weld pocket and breaking a bit or tap, which would be a big problem in its own right.

/ Cylinder repair suggestions?
This ^^^. There are no awards given for pretty welds. The reward for a successful weld is a useful part.

I totally agree with this sentiment RickB, on the whole. I do have a detail part of my brain that does like to have things looking tidy and clean lines etal too. Case in point. Earlier this week I finished grinding off the "Tack welds" on the Tommygate I have for replacing the pins (10 of them). I used the Lil MIG and it was not pretty. I will be gently grinding several spots down to remove the splatter balls and yeuckiness that the wire-wheel didn't solve. Yeah I'm a really rusty inexperienced welder.....

I was primarily thinking that it would be easier to drill and tap there, less chance of hitting a hardened weld pocket and breaking a bit or tap, which would be a big problem in its own right.

I will quickly admit that i a$$umed that the idea of flipping it was for a much more flat/uniform surface for the drill/tap & installing a replacement zerk..... IF the inspection shows it can happen. (fingers crossed)

/ Cylinder repair suggestions? #15  
I would cut off the old rod end and make a new one out of scrap steel, bore it .010”-.012” over the pin size, weld it and go digging.

/ Cylinder repair suggestions? #16  
64B1EF7D-35F8-4615-9B97-AB626E410165.jpeg

More than likely this is what happened.....and they smashed it back together and welded it.

/ Cylinder repair suggestions? #17  
So I guess you bought the Bolens G272 tractor with the Kelly backhoe in Waco. I was talking to him when it first came out. He had a mower deck which I think he sold off first. He lowered the price for me a lot but it seemed like a real project to fix. None of the glow plug system works on the tractor. I was having a hard on where to find parts. I think it is a nice sized system.

So I guess you bought the Bolens G272 tractor with the Kelly backhoe in Waco. I was talking to him when it first came out. He had a mower deck which I think he sold off first. He lowered the price for me a lot but it seemed like a real project to fix. None of the glow plug system works on the tractor. I was having a hard on where to find parts. I think it is a nice sized system.

Actually, no I didn't. That AD in Waco was not visible when I found this Kelley BH in Tyler area, from a used equipment sales/auction place. Saw it via a Google search that it was cross posted in two different auction sites: their own and another. I got it back at the end of January. I even made a post asking about inline filter suggestions for it then too. In the last 2 weeks I saw 2 Kelley's on Craigslist for sale by them selves & 1 on a Cub cadet in Upstate NY.

View attachment 643938

More than likely this is what happened.....and they smashed it back together and welded it.

I see a parallel to the situation but, alas I'm not aware of how bad this one cracked apart. I can say that from my current awareness that it doesn't appear to be out of round on the pin. I have pressure washed it a couple times and then the time I spent redoing the PTO hoses, putting an inline filter on it and some QD's on the Pump to make the removal of the PTO MUCH easier for me.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/421557-pto-pump-filter-recommendations-pseudo.html

I posted pics of it on a different BH thread here on post #66 I think? In early February....
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...-how-often-do-you-actually-7.html#post5646999

Update from their website: Kelley Manufacturing : Tractor Backhoes & Parts Manufacturer Ohio

And just a few moments ago, a call to CSR... Worst case pricing is -> The piston/Rod itself is ~$80+ & the seal kit is ~$36 so if I have to order replacement it'll be about $150+ with shipping included via UPS.
1) Rod Assembly Part Number: SCY10006
2) 2” x 1 3/8” Rod Polypack Seal Kit Part Number: 99-001-093

On the best case pricing -> The piston is supposed to be spin-able to have access to other side for drill/tap for a zerk.
So All I'd be looking at is a Zerk fitting?
As I have drill bits and Tap kit that "should be small enough."