Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #31  
IF I absolutely had to cut wire, I would just look for my oldest nastiest saw chain. Certainly not going to run out and buy some expensive chain to do THAT.

Plus, what I have seen. Carbide isn't impervious to damage. One such wire cut and you may have damaged your carbide chain too.

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #32  
Sooo.... If the trees are in a fence line and the stumps won't bother anybody just cut them off above the wire and let them rot. That's what I intend to do with the trees around my pond as they die. It's the least amount of headache.

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #33  
Drill holes into the wood at a 45 degree angle. This will let air and water in and accelerate the rotting process. Then make a 1:1 mixture of honey and water and pour over the stump to start the process and encourage bugs to move in.

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #34  
I have experience with this type of work. Can you post pics of the fence?

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #35  
I'd call a local tree surgeon or an arborist if I were you. These professionals can help you cut the tree down safely, and they won't charge you a fortune. I'm recommending this because you'll be cutting right near the wire, which can get tangled in the chainsaw you'll be using. It's insanely dangerous. I called a local tree surgeon when I had to remove a huge dry tree near my house, and the guys I called did a neat job. They cut down the branches first, put them in a pile, cleaned the area around the tree, and only after that proceeded to cut the trunk piece by piece.

Last edited:
   / Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #36  
It might be really dangerous to cut a wire fence with a chainsaw. The chain might break, and its pieces would fly in any direction possible, hurting you and the people around you. So be really careful, and I would suggest not cutting the wire at all.
And if the case is a little more complicated, it’s always better to look for a local tree surgeon or an arborist. This professional would help you cut the tree down safely. I did so when I had to cut down a tree near my house, and this guy did everything nice and clean. So, it would be better to ask a professional for help in this case.
steel objects embedded in trees is sure good at creating a kick-back event for sawyers. :(

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #37  
A cordless grinder with a metal cutting blade may be of some help to cut strands of old wire, and make it easier to sort things out. Of course, it won't cut trees, or get the wire out of the wood.

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #39  
1. Cut the wire left and right of the tree.

2. Cut the tree over and under the wire.

3. Burn the section of the trunk containing the wire.

Bruce

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #40  
Just cut above fence. If replacing fence, what's the problem? Just by pass it. What kind of chain do you accidentally cut wire with? The one you have, that's the one. If you want the stump cut, cut low.