Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #1  

houser52

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HD, Kubota L3600
This winter I want to start replacing about 2000' of old rusty fence. Along the fence there are places where trees/ bushes have grown around the wire. Originally the woven wire fence was put up onto clean ground, using new posts and no wire was nailed to any trees.

I can cut the trees high enough to stay away from any wires when removing the old fence but would like to cut down the remaining bottom part of the tree that is left standing. Some of the trees are small enough, 3"-5" diameter, that I can take out with my tractor but there are some cedar trees that are bigger that I won't be able to use the tractor.

What would be a good for sawing them off at ground level? Carbide chainsaw chain? Something better? Can't afford to hire a bull dozer.

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #2  
Two things I would try.

Saws-all, battery or generator powered, demolition or nail-cutter blade.

Drill, battery or generator powered. Make lots of holes to weaken the trunk. Break it off.

Bruce

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #3  
Sawzall or demolition saw (chainsaw with a round blade) with some kind of metal cutting blade.

Or, cut them above and below the fence with the sawzall and make a burn pile.

Aaron Z

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #4  
I use a Milwaukee Sawzall for similar tasks. Choosing the right blade is important. I recommend Milwaukee's THE AXE demolition blades in 9" length.

Last edited:
   / Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #5  
Stihl makes a "demolition chain" for chainsaws. Designed to cut thru nails, sheet metal, metal tubing, etc. That would be my choice.

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #6  
Depends how many you have to do. Doesn't everyone have old chains lying around? It won't take much to cut through some brittle old fence wire.

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #7  
If they are on the fence line cut them above the fence and use them as anchor posts.

The other option would be to cut them high and try pulling them up by chaining to the top.

Option 3: If any have a solid tree in front of them you can tie a rope high on the unwanted tree, wrap the rope around the base of the tree in front, and pull at 90*.

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #8  
Depends how many you have to do. Doesn't everyone have old chains lying around? It won't take much to cut through some brittle old fence wire.
Depends on the fence wire, if it's the woven fence we're like we have had, it may be high tension and not cut easily.

Aaron Z

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #9  
The old (twisted barb wire) stuff in the trees around here, you can just fold it over in your hand and break it. Removed thousands of feet this spring. Cut if off a few inches from the trees and flagged it.

/ Cutting trees with imbedded woven wire fence #10  
Cut above fence with chain saw, Sever bottom with saw-zall. Then burn the mess, recycle the metal. That's what I do ...