Custom Baling

/ Custom Baling #31  
bigbull338 said:
i know a guy that was running an old massy round baler.an everytime he pulled out of a field from baling in the shop she went.an he had to change bearing an work on it.an sometimes she would blowup baling.this summer she blew a pick reel bearing.so he pulled out of the field.an went an got him a new baler.

Stuff breaks. And there's a huge difference betweeen OLD and JUNK. Sounds like your pal had JUNK. We read post after post on TBN from people who spent a small fortune on NEW tractors and equipment that break and they can't fix it themselves. The older equipment is far less complicated, and if it DOES wear out, you aren't out a fortune. If someone was planning on baling hundreds of acres a year, new might pencil out as practical. But where we're talking about acreage where used and cheap might not even pay for itself, spending big dollars on new is ridiculous unless you're just looking for a way to get shed of excess cash.

/ Custom Baling
I would definately be buying used. New equipment is out of the question for me. Besides i think older tractors last longer anyway.

/ Custom Baling #33  
Matt, good luck on whatever you decide to do. I'm one of those crazy self-employed kamikazees and I understand how tough it is to decide what to do. Best advice I can give is always give good service. Broken parts can be replaced, but once you form your reputation, you are stuck with it. Honest hard workers seem to be harder and harder to find, and when people find one, they tend to stick with him.:cool:

/ Custom Baling #34  
Aquaman said:
Matt, good luck on whatever you decide to do. I'm one of those crazy self-employed kamikazees and I understand how tough it is to decide what to do. Best advice I can give is always give good service. Broken parts can be replaced, but once you form your reputation, you are stuck with it. Honest hard workers seem to be harder and harder to find, and when people find one, they tend to stick with him.:cool:

To expand on this, if you hire helpers and find a hard worker then reward him by paying him properly. Since most hay laborers are kids he will most likely be calling you wondering when you are going to need him again. You need to reward your good workers and keep them happy as they will want to come back and hopefully they keep working hard. Sometimes they get a little arrogant but they are kids so sit down with them and be honest about their performance and what you expect.

I use to get paid $5 a day when I worked for my neighbor after school. I would work for a couple hours. If we had a real good day I would get paid more. If all I did was irritate him I would get paid less:D . He was a good guy and wanted me to buy his farm when he passed away. Last year he passed away at night and his son was banging on my door at 7:30am that morning wanting to know if I wanted to buy his farm still:rolleyes: . I did buy his farm and as soon as I am healthy I will be finishing the light remodel and move in. It is a great house and I have a lot of memories from that place.

Anyway, I apologize for getting side tracked. My neighbor was my first boss and although I didn't get paid anywhere near as well as I pay my helpers it was a lot of money for me at the time. He was always honest and fair with me and my brother. He showed me a lot of respect and rewarded me by giving me more and more responsibilites. I worked with him from the age 12 till I turned 16 and could work legally for my father so it seems like a long time ago but it was the first part of the 90's. $5 a day added up over time:) I really do miss him though :(

/ Custom Baling
Ok so it seems like 4x5 bales with net wrap are the most popular around here. I don't see much twine being used anymore. It would probably be best for me to get a variable chamber 4x6 baler that way i could make 4x4, 4x5, & 4x6 bales to give me a little more versatility. I found a late '80s 85hp ford tractor with a loader and cab for $14,500. It seems to be in good shape but i haven't heard it run yet.

/ Custom Baling
Has anybody on here ever worked with Farm Credit?

/ Custom Baling #37  
matt21 said:
Has anybody on here ever worked with Farm Credit?

What would you like to know? Farm Credit is more or less what their name suggest. They offer a lot of services geared for farmers and have been very good to talk to but I have never taken a loan out from them yet. My friend was an accountant for Farm Credit but she recently left to start her own business. She has nothing but good things to say about them.

/ Custom Baling
Ok so i did some research and found out that in the area where i'm at baling small squares would be the best way to go. My neighbor is disabled and selling his small operation. He mostly baled the hay and sold it to people in the area. Last year he had people lined up for the hay as he was baling it. This seems to be the best way to go.

/ Custom Baling #39  
Hey Matt! Many good pieces of advice here. I have been baling my own and custom as well for over fifteen years. Most of my equipment is fairly new. That being said I usually (not always) look for lightly used equipment and let the first owner take the hickie! Can you make money? the only note I currently have is on a new truck, everything else is free and clear...however this years fuel costs are going to make things a little more difficult to make a profit, especially if a man is carrying a large debt load! And Matt when hay prices are high, watch out for owners basically wanting you to become a brush hog service for them,I you dont know the fields..dont take the owners word,check it out yourself!

/ Custom Baling #40  
The general consensus of opinion seems to be you can make money, break even while working hard, go broke or, multiple of the above in any order.

I trade labor with a guy who has all the equipment for round bailing. HE and his son bale my hay and I work for them an equal number of hours, sometimes using my tractor, dump trailer, chain saws or ... It works fair and we stay friends.

I have considered getting my own equipment but came out from under the anesthetic sufficiently in advance of the MISTAKE to avoid calamity. I have also had my place baled on the shares. That worked too but I prefer the barter arrangement.

I see a lot of new people getting into baling all the time but usually reality sets in and they get out within 2-3 seasons, worse for the wear. Same story on dirt equipment like back hoes dozers, etc. No one does a business plan much less a realistic one, lines up customers, realistically accounts for $, time, fuel, and other materials and repairs.

For some reason there is a never ending supply of people willing to risk a lot of time, money, and or expensive equipment thinking somehow they will be different and magic will happen and goodness and mercy will follow them throughout their days. These people make it hard on the folks who are trying to make an honest living doing things at the rates needed to pay all expenses and stay in business. The new guys typically think they can undercut the REAL people in order to BUY jobs and that sows the seeds of disaster. The REAL people may have it figured out pretty well and it is tough to undercut them and survive. The constant supply of people doomed to failure through failing to plan makes life hard for the REAL people.

Figure out costs, your customer base, and other ingredients of a sound business plan, ignoring unfounded optimism and a belief that somehow the weather will be your friend, you won't have unscheduled breakdowns, never get sick, always can find reliable help, and if you can't make a profit on paper using realistic inputs then DON'T leap into the tornado. If with realistic inputs you can show a good profit, then you might make it.

I have yet to have anyone bale my place and not have some kind of breakdown, sometimes minor and sometimes not. I have never had anyone bale my place that didn't have at least one other person on site all the time and at times I have helped out too.

If you can write an honest and complete business plan which puts you well ahead of costs then go for it and best of luck to you. If not then ask yourself why you think reality will turn out much more optimistically than your best plan shows. Wishful thinking is dangerous.

Pat