Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #31  
Wow, I did not know…..

IMG_0682.png
IMG_0684.png
IMG_0683.png

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #32  
Each time the clean air people catch the cheaters they get smarter. It wasn't long ago that Fiat Chrysler went through this with the Ecodiesel.

Ecodiesel settlement

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #33  
Given the size of the fine I expect it was a blatant cheat like VW did, at least for the larger set of 2013-2019 trucks. The smaller set had some sort of undeclared emissions device.

Maybe there’s inflation in law suits, too. lol
I agree that I'd like the details. Maybe it'll come out eventually. It did with VW. They detected when the engine was in the EPA's test rig and made it run clean then, but let it run dirtier the rest of the time. Some people at a university were doing a study on how on the road emissions compared to the EPA's test cycle, with cars they bought, and the VW diesels kept giving them screwy numbers.

Emissions law bodies generally do not care how the manufacturers meet the standards, only that they do. So it's pretty cut and dried: you meet the numbers for the life of the engine as specified in the standard, or you don't. Then there's no arguing about the technology.

For example take CARB's small engine emission requirements. For chainsaws the "life" as defined by CARB is something like 250 hours. The spec says what the emissions limits are but does not say how to meet them. Manufactures can get there with super lean tuning (the worst solution), catalytic converters, stratified charge port design, or computer controlled carbs or EFI. Or some combination of those. Same with CUTS- we have models with EFI and DOC+DPF, or EFI and DOC, or MFI and DOC+DPF.

I bet many more get caught as time goes on

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #34  
Navistar is now owned by Traton, a VW subsidiary that also owns MAN and Scania. Undoubtedly the other MAN engines will end up in Navistar as well.

And given the hype around Youtuber Bruce Wilson, who imported a Scania from Europe through Canada, the US may be ready for a re-entry of Scania through selected Navistar dealers

Sometimes people on TBN get angry with me and say "you pretend trucks from Europe are far superior" well its just plain hilarious to see an American be amazed about height adjustable air ride so that he doesnt have to jack up the trailer landing gear, on a 25 year old truck 😄 I mean, i dont say things that risk to insult Americans here, but just judge for yourself when you have gotten to know the differences 😅

And, first on the scene in an accident. I don't drive big trucks these days but when I still was, I did not miss the COE's.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #35  
I’m not a big cracker box fan, either.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #37  
Hey man, bring all the Scania, Magirus and I can’t remember that other brand I’m jealous of HERE-in the USA!
Around New York there are still a bunch of Scanias sold there from 1985 to... mid 90s. The problem was the weight, as Europe allows higher GVW as well as higher axle weights and the trucks are built accordingly. Therefor Scania focused on states with higher GVW ratings in 1985, but they never got to developing a lighter chassis for the US market.

In Europe, manufacturers have stopped selling bonneted trucks due to low demand. Only guys with no length restrictions like heavy haulers buy them. Off course if there is demand from the USA they can easily reintroduce them.

Magirus has been gone since the 80s, when Iveco (Fiat group) took over. They still build firetrucks in the German plant, although firefighting has been sold to a third party. Actually i dont know if Iveco still owns any former Magirus-Deutz assets in Ulm.
There’s great American brands that we can’t get here easily, like Osh Kosh, Stewart Stevenson, BMY, etc.
Stewart & Stevenson actually assembled a European Steyr truck in the USA with a Cat engine and Allison transmission and sold it to US Army as FMTV. I dont know what else they produce but the FMTV is a Steyr CKD kit

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #38  
And, first on the scene in an accident. I don't drive big trucks these days but when I still was, I did not miss the COE's.
Thats just a gut feeling:
FQW3BNO6LFHXVHWTW4NC7H2GCM.jpg

In the end of the day, your cab is your safety structure. A hood and a radiator arent much of a crumple zone. Especially when, apparently, rear underride prevention bars on the back of a trailer arent mandatory in North America...?
In Europe a 5x5" square tube is mandatory.

Last edited:
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #39  
Thats just a gut feeling:
View attachment 840245
In the end of the day, your cab is your safety structure. A hood and a radiator arent much of a crumple zone. Especially when, apparently, rear underride prevention bars on the back of a trailer arent mandatory in North America...?
In Europe a 5x5" square tube is mandatory.

All American trailers have those bars. It probably got knocked off in that crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.