Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #21  
IH went to Cummins and MAN power to make up for their engines that customers are thoroughly disappointed with.
Navistar is now owned by Traton, a VW subsidiary that also owns MAN and Scania. Undoubtedly the other MAN engines will end up in Navistar as well.

And given the hype around Youtuber Bruce Wilson, who imported a Scania from Europe through Canada, the US may be ready for a re-entry of Scania through selected Navistar dealers

Sometimes people on TBN get angry with me and say "you pretend trucks from Europe are far superior" well its just plain hilarious to see an American be amazed about height adjustable air ride so that he doesnt have to jack up the trailer landing gear, on a 25 year old truck 😄 I mean, i dont say things that risk to insult Americans here, but just judge for yourself when you have gotten to know the differences 😅

Last edited:
   / Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #22  
I wish they would share the technical reasons of how the “cheat” is working. I will speculate with no knowledge other than a guess. I would say under certain conditions the EGR is turning off. Maybe Cummins says under certain cruising conditions the EGR is turning off and we can still meet emissions requirements , the epa is saying no you can’t do that.

On the other hand it could be they are doing something similar and know they are cheating the system and it’s 100% intentional.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #23  
I wish they would share the technical reasons of how the “cheat” is working. I will speculate with no knowledge other than a guess. I would say under certain conditions the EGR is turning off. Maybe Cummins says under certain cruising conditions the EGR is turning off and we can still meet emissions requirements , the epa is saying no you can’t do that.

On the other hand it could be they are doing something similar and know they are cheating the system and it’s 100% intentional.
Agree...we don't know anything yet. It took a while for us to learn more about the VW fiasco too. With the VW's, testing mode and normal running mode had two different parameters. Only testing during normal operating caught it. I do want to know more about this case though.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #24  
Navistar is now owned by Traton, a VW subsidiary that also owns MAN and Scania. Undoubtedly the other MAN engines will end up in Navistar as well.

And given the hype around Youtuber Bruce Wilson, who imported a Scania from Europe through Canada, the US may be ready for a re-entry of Scania through selected Navistar dealers

Sometimes people on TBN get angry with me and say "you pretend trucks from Europe are far superior" well its just plain hilarious to see an American be amazed about height adjustable air ride so that he doesnt have to jack up the trailer landing gear, on a 25 year old truck 😄 I mean, i dont say things that risk to insult Americans here, but just judge for yourself when you have gotten to know the differences 😅

Hey man, bring all the Scania, Magirus and I can’t remember that other brand I’m jealous of HERE-in the USA!
There’s great American brands that we can’t get here easily, like Osh Kosh, Stewart Stevenson, BMY, etc.

I get what you are saying about the “generic” American trucks, but we make some tough, heavy duty stuff here too like the brands I just listed!

I want to see all of them here!

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #25  
Dieselgate 2.0

It's not RAM. RAM is nothing but a tradename for a Stellantis product. Typical idiots.

The only way to remove the BS is VOTE 'EM OUT... and that necessitates a regime change in DC.

The way it's going, pretty soon we will all be running on Li-Ion batteries and supporting the Chinese and their slave mining labor.

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #26  
Figure at this point ALL diesels are illegal, its just a matter of when they will be caught ie when the political epa decides when the stock price needs an adjustment

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #27  
I know the ones “rolling coal” should be considered illegal!

Every time I see a cloud of smoke dumping from one pisses me off, big-time!

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #29  
I would need to see something from someone other than MG's DOJ on this. They don't have credibility.
You don’t really believe that the mainstream media will publish anything but garland side of the story though do you?

/ Cummins fined $1.675 Billion for gaming their diesel emissions. #30  

Given the size of the fine I expect it was a blatant cheat like VW did, at least for the larger set of 2013-2019 trucks. The smaller set had some sort of undeclared emissions device.

I agree that I'd like the details. Maybe it'll come out eventually. It did with VW. They detected when the engine was in the EPA's test rig and made it run clean then, but let it run dirtier the rest of the time. Some people at a university were doing a study on how on the road emissions compared to the EPA's test cycle, with cars they bought, and the VW diesels kept giving them screwy numbers.

Emissions law bodies generally do not care how the manufacturers meet the standards, only that they do. So it's pretty cut and dried: you meet the numbers for the life of the engine as specified in the standard, or you don't. Then there's no arguing about the technology.

For example take CARB's small engine emission requirements. For chainsaws the "life" as defined by CARB is something like 250 hours. The spec says what the emissions limits are but does not say how to meet them. Manufactures can get there with super lean tuning (the worst solution), catalytic converters, stratified charge port design, or computer controlled carbs or EFI. Or some combination of those. Same with CUTS- we have models with EFI and DOC+DPF, or EFI and DOC, or MFI and DOC+DPF.

Status
Not open for further replies.