creating a culvert

/ creating a culvert #62  
Looks like it's time to buy a bigger tractor!
The Crew.jpg

Again,, already!!?? :eek:

/ creating a culvert #63  
Understood. Sometimes we all find excellent ways to spend other people's money. Most of us are guilty of solving a problem posters didn't ask us to solve. Part of the culture here at TBN. :)

I am tuned into this thread because now that my house is basically done, I can move on to water management. We get 47+ inches of rain a year here, but only 83 rainy days...roughly 1/2 inch of rain average per rainy day. Yesterday there was enough condensation on my roof in the morning that the water puddled at the bottom of my downspouts. No creeks, ponds or lakes on the property, but all exist nearby.
You didn't ask, but... swales are a good solution where you can.

/ creating a culvert #64  
Look around on FB marketplace for a large decommissioned propane tank...ones that are usable sometimes come up fairly cheap ...ends would have to be cut out...
but it would Not collapse...make great culverts ...you might get lucky..

/ creating a culvert #65  
Look around on FB marketplace for a large decommissioned propane tank...ones that are usable sometimes come up fairly cheap ...ends would have to be cut out...
but it would Not collapse...make great culverts ...you might get lucky..
Another bad idea in MY opinion

Cut the ends off a propane tank.....while thicker metal than a 55gal barrel........it still becomes a thin and flimsy piece of metal that is not difficult to crush.

Add to the fact that you would need SEVERAL propane tanks of the same size to weld together....and torching them.....gonna have more time and money in doing a bad job than just doing it right.

And still back at the diameter of the tanks and amount of fill needed. All for a culvert to cross a ~ 6" deep 2' wide little creek

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / creating a culvert #66  
I fully understand the fine line that separates saving some stuff vs hoarding ok its definitely a grey area.
20 years ago I put a road in to my basement garage. In doing so I created a small dam in part of the yard. I had “saved” some 8” sewer pipe from a trailer park I had previously built so I used a section of that to drain the area.
Yesterday when I decided to widen the entrance in that area I used the remaining piece and joint that was still ”saved”.
Sometimes using what you have works fine.

/ creating a culvert #67  
Another bad idea in MY opinion

Cut the ends off a propane tank.....while thicker metal than a 55gal barrel........it still becomes a thin and flimsy piece of metal that is not difficult to crush.

Add to the fact that you would need SEVERAL propane tanks of the same size to weld together....and torching them.....gonna have more time and money in doing a bad job than just doing it right.

And still back at the diameter of the tanks and amount of fill needed. All for a culvert to cross a ~ 6" deep 2' wide little creek
I'll not be in the area when someone goes to cut a old propane tank.

/ creating a culvert
So, I went back and double checked, and didn't see an answer; but what are we driver across it? You said wheel ruts, so its a vehicle; but are we talking 4 trips per day of passenger vehicles; heavy equipment; delivery vehicles; a compact utility tractor; an ATV/SxS? It's not gonna be an answer you like; but I'll just tell you what I would do; money is tight, 100% understand, and based on the 1st post, you have another longer way to get to the other side of the creek; I would either A: wait till you have the spare cash to do it right; or B: try your barrels; your not out any money if it fails. If you really bed them right, compact material, and have sufficient coverage; they might last 5 years. Anything you do to distribute the load will help; force acts downward and also at angles outward, reducing the point load (we are not applying 2000 pounds to the pipe from our point load, it's probably more like 1000 pounds with 6" cover; 500 pounds at 12" cover; and 250 # at 18" cover as the force goes outward as we move further away). I 'Think' if the barrels survive the back fill process (dirt is Heavy, roughly 100-120#/cf) it will last until corrosion eats the barrel. The substandard pipe material makes proper installation much more important, as you don't have the margine of error.

Practicing Engineers in the group, please don't beat my numbers up too much, I pulled them completely out of my butt.View attachment 826437
Thanks for the reply. Brings a good perspective...
It is a seldom used path, the heaviest being about 2600#, my tractor. Only ruts are made from washout. Closer observation is that sometimes pipe gets semi blocked with debris. I tried at one point to create a funnel at entrance, to guide water in. It works until it gets partially clogged, then the rutting gets ugly. Can't drive lawnmower across. The other path, is actually more convenient in most cases.

/ creating a culvert
Not sure about backfill...but first a 55 gal drum inner diameter is way over 18" right? YOu are going to hvae to dig very deep...and if not graded properly on both sides it will heavily silt in. Nightmare to clean out with that much silt in it.

If you ever have any heavy equipment brought in....most likely they will crush those 55 gal drums. They are not meant to hold much weight from the side of the can.

Are you sure you cannot re-purpose the 12" pipe or find another piece of it that you can mate to your existing pipe?

No matter what you choose make sure you use good packing material on both sides of the pipe (2" down to fines if you can) and compact it a few times before you start driving over it. As mentioned if you do not compact well, forces will move he pipe in the trench and create areas for water infiltration. This and grade on trench both sides (inlet and outlet) are probably the most critical points to proper installation.
Thank you. Very useful.
The more people like you chime in with useful info, the better understanding I have of issues. I am currently looking for used pipe, tough find in these parts. Slope is an issue as well. Guessing 4" max over 10' or so. It doesn't help that the pipe at exit end was cracked on top half and push down, creating resistance for leaves. I think this pipe was laid down to allow electric company access for their sxs. Fill is 6" on top max.

/ creating a culvert
The thought-out comment was the fact that the barrels are ALOT larger than the current setup. Which requires ALOT of material to cover, and somehow keep the barrels together.

Then as others mentioned....heavy equipment....

Dont want to have an emergency, fire, etc and a squad or firetruck crushes and gets stuck.

Sorry, but im it the camp of do it right or dont do it at all. Especially when it comes to something that can hurt something (equipment/vehicles)....or someone.
Thanks for trying. If you read posts, you'd realize that my tractor is the max weight, it is only an access point for me, and electric company.