creating a culvert

/ creating a culvert #21  
What I have learned is a 12" culvert needs a minimum of 12" fill over it. An 18" needs 18" of fill over it.
Without it culverts get pushed up and out of where you want them by frost.

/ creating a culvert #22  
I have a stream that runs through, and I cross frequently. It currently has a 12" plastic culvert, which is crushed just past where my wheel goes. I've been looking for used 18" or whatever, and nothing around. I was thinking about 3 -55 gal steel drums. I guessed that they would last at least 5 years. Not sure I need more than that. It's just a shortcut to area I could get to easily enough if culvert wasn't there. Price does play a role.
Thoughts?
Find some old lumber and make a bridge to use while you save for a culvert. 55 gallon barrels would be a ton of extra work to install and likely wouldn't last a year.

/ creating a culvert #23  
It might as well be a Walmart trash can. Once you cut the ends out a barrel is basically nothing and that’s pre rust. Also burying a 30” barrel in a ditch that needs a 12” pipe isn’t as easy as it seems.
Thats what still has me hung up...

Why would anyone wanna mess with barrels if a 12" pipe would work? Dont seem very well thought out

/ creating a culvert #24  
20’ - 18” double wall $320 at the feed mill and Southern States had them for the same price.
We just purchased this for my sons entrance where he us building his home. Hwy Dept will install if you purchase the pipe. Only pipe they approve is the double wall plastic. They will not install CMP. Lots of entrances around here with 12” or less cover and they hold up well even with concrete trucks going over them. But they were correctly bedded in with DGA and not dirt.

/ creating a culvert #25  
Just installed a double wall HDPE culvert. Price was the same as the link.
'
In 2018, I installed 7 lengths of that type culvert,, six were 12" and one was 18".
Some of the culverts were installed at about a 30 degree angle to the road, so, 1.5 lengths were needed for each of those crossings.
There were five crossings total.
I installed one, then, I had these guys install the rest of them.

LRhTaK8.jpg

One of the crossings is being installed right at the end of where you see gravel.
I doubt any of my culverts is over 6 inches deep,,

One thing I did over the culverts was to "backfill" over them with logging road stone, which is about as big as your fist.

My excavator guy thought I was crazy,, each crossing got ~4 tons of the large stone.
I did not want the culvert spot giving me trouble in the future,, they have not.

ei9bPwW.jpg

eLLP6AX.jpg

This field used to have a 18" straight down drop between the field, and the road.
All I could imagine is a grandchild driving over that drop off, and turning over an ATV,,
I figured the cost of regrading was cheap, compared to upsetting my daughter,, o_O +

Before 2018, The "culverts" were 8 inch sewer pipe.
At least one of them would clog EVERY year,, I would have the driveway wash away,,
Then, I would have to regrade the washed stone, add more stone,,etc,,

/ creating a culvert #26  
One day, I found these concrete pieces on Craigs List,, They weigh over 2,000 pound each.

Headwall6.jpg

I installed one at the entrance to each culvert.

Headwall12.jpg

I then surrounded it with LARGE Rip-Rap,, That was SERIOUS work to install the large stones.

Headwall7.jpg

BUT, now, maintenance is zero,,,,,,,,,,

/ creating a culvert #27  
I dont know if you're in a radius of the trail/drive/path; but for real; go longer than you think. Even using straight cut ends instead of mitered ends; you want an absolute min of 4 ft beyond the edge of your wheel path/drive whatever. The 24 ft recommendation is as short as I would go for vehicles; if it's sxs/atv, maybe can get away with 16-20 ft.

/ creating a culvert #28  
For real driveways, 32 ft is the min for a 12 ft drive *tip to tip, including the mitered end cuts*; 40ft for wider drives; but that's figuring turning in from the road.

/ creating a culvert #29  
We put 4 or 5 plastic culverts together with screws. They have been in service for a couple years. Holds up sxs and an 80 horse tractor. Getting dirt on top and sides is the key

/ creating a culvert #30  
'
In 2018, I installed 7 lengths of that type culvert,, six were 12" and one was 18".
Some of the culverts were installed at about a 30 degree angle to the road, so, 1.5 lengths were needed for each of those crossings.
There were five crossings total.
I installed one, then, I had these guys install the rest of them.

LRhTaK8.jpg

One of the crossings is being installed right at the end of where you see gravel.
I doubt any of my culverts is over 6 inches deep,,

One thing I did over the culverts was to "backfill" over them with logging road stone, which is about as big as your fist.

My excavator guy thought I was crazy,, each crossing got ~4 tons of the large stone.
I did not want the culvert spot giving me trouble in the future,, they have not.

ei9bPwW.jpg

eLLP6AX.jpg

This field used to have a 18" straight down drop between the field, and the road.
All I could imagine is a grandchild driving over that drop off, and turning over an ATV,,
I figured the cost of regrading was cheap, compared to upsetting my daughter,, o_O +

Before 2018, The "culverts" were 8 inch sewer pipe.
At least one of them would clog EVERY year,, I would have the driveway wash away,,
Then, I would have to regrade the washed stone, add more stone,,etc,,
could you PM me name of excavation company you used?