COYOTES

/ COYOTES #161  
Wolf packs have been a disaster for both hunting and farmers. A single wolf pack caused hundreds of dead sheep on 1 farm. Many killed as sport by the wolves, many more driven to trampling each other, heart attack etc. Cattle stressed by the presence of the wolf packs, cows losing calves before they are born, reduced weight to market etc etc. Not to mention the collapse in the elk hunting. Far fewer tags sold, fewer successful hunts, less out of state people paying the big bucks for guided hunts. A true success story.
Wolves blamed for death of 143 lambs and sheep near Shaw Mountain

Wolves cause death of 176 sheep near Fogg Hill; Forest Service says stay out of area

/ COYOTES
Same pair of coyotes strolled thru the yard this AM. Surprised - at these temps +5F I'd have guessed they would still be holed up - waiting for sunrise. I can ID this pair by the coloration of the male.

/ COYOTES #163  
I've only shot one coyote. Was deer hunting and saw a pack of 4 at LAST light. Took the shot and gut shot him, bad. I could tell I got him from about 80 yards away by the way he acted after the shot. When I went down there, it was an obvious hit from the blood and guts. Didn't look for him long as I heard him still slinking through the bush. Came back the next morning to find him dead on a log jam in the middle of the creek. Big healthy Yote with a nice thick coat. Skinned him out and tanned the hide, still have it to this day. I don't shoot anything I will not use something from, but I look forward to a couple more coyote pelts.

/ COYOTES #164  
I've only shot one coyote. Was deer hunting and saw a pack of 4 at LAST light. Took the shot and gut shot him, bad. I could tell I got him from about 80 yards away by the way he acted after the shot. When I went down there, it was an obvious hit from the blood and guts. Didn't look for him long as I heard him still slinking through the bush. Came back the next morning to find him dead on a log jam in the middle of the creek. Big healthy Yote with a nice thick coat. Skinned him out and tanned the hide, still have it to this day. I don't shoot anything I will not use something from, but I look forward to a couple more coyote pelts.
Oh wow, better you than me, that sort of kill would hound me for a while. Not slamming you or anything, I'm sure you were wanting a clean kill, but as they say sh*t happens.

A couple months ago, I went to do a troublesome duck of mine, for some reason I didn't snap his neck effectively and it was a sloppy kill. It dogged me for a little bit.

/ COYOTES #165  
Oh wow, better you than me, that sort of kill would hound me for a while. Not slamming you or anything, I'm sure you were wanting a clean kill, but as they say sh*t happens.

A couple months ago, I went to do a troublesome duck of mine, for some reason I didn't snap his neck effectively and it was a sloppy kill. It dogged me for a little bit.
Yeah, I mean I never want an animal to suffer but I doubt he suffered long. He was bleeding pretty good and I doubt it took him long to bleed out.

/ COYOTES #166  
I believe the limit is still 3 roosters here. But hens are a no-no. Some years they are everywhere, used to count dozens of them along the highway when traveling to various job sites. Some years you will go for months without seeing a single one. I think they're doing "ok" this year, but it is a fragile balance. One of the things that occurs in hard winters is that their tails (roosters) will actually freeze to the ground, trapping them and they die.
In our area the pheasant population is related to the amount of rain we get in the spring. If it is wet the coyotes can sniff out the nest easier and eat the eggs. If it is a dry spring, our pheasant population will be high.

/ COYOTES #167  
Wolf packs have been a disaster for both hunting and farmers. A single wolf pack caused hundreds of dead sheep on 1 farm. Many killed as sport by the wolves, many more driven to trampling each other, heart attack etc. Cattle stressed by the presence of the wolf packs, cows losing calves before they are born, reduced weight to market etc etc. Not to mention the collapse in the elk hunting. Far fewer tags sold, fewer successful hunts, less out of state people paying the big bucks for guided hunts. A true success story.
Wolves blamed for death of 143 lambs and sheep near Shaw Mountain

Wolves cause death of 176 sheep near Fogg Hill; Forest Service says stay out of area
That is a big difference between coyotes, wolves and cougars. Cougars and wolves can kill just for practice, or maybe fun, I am not sure which. Coyotes tend to only kill what they will eat.

/ COYOTES #168  
That's one of the things I've read and observed over my life. There is no even balance in nature. There are swings. In good years for prey reproduction there will be an overabundance of predators that successfully make it to adulthood at the end of the year. Then they eat the pantry clean. So there's a drop in prey production. Predator numbers decrease due to lack of food. Prey numbers then rise. Then throw in the weather, and there's times when there are neither prey or predator numbers.

The balance of nature is a teeter totter that rarely stays even.

/ COYOTES #169  
We have a coyote, think it is one, that has been coming through.
Only sign so far has been on game camera, on two different days.
We will keep a watch, but not seeing it going after the local wandering cats so far.
Fox also doesn't seem bothered as we see them a few times/week.

Wonder if they go after turkeys?

Would be nice if they went through the canadian geese that overflow the area.

/ COYOTES #170  
We have a coyote, think it is one, that has been coming through.
Only sign so far has been on game camera, on two different days.
We will keep a watch, but not seeing it going after the local wandering cats so far.
Fox also doesn't seem bothered as we see them a few times/week.

Wonder if they go after turkeys?

Would be nice if they went through the canadian geese that overflow the area.
Coyotes will go after whatever they can catch.