Cordless Tools vs. Other Options

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #111  
Harking back to the title of the thread--"Other Options" includes (gasp!) hand tools. These are not mentioned in 11 pages on cords, generators, and different types of batteries. In many instances the total time and bother to use an appropriate hand tool is less than that expended to use a power tool.
Haha. You aren't going to hand power a drill or grinder, etc.

I just built a nice finished set of stairs in my garage up to the attic room. My 20v DeWalt drill and impact, and cordless orbital sander were crucial tools for the job. But! I did discover that a classic old hand powered wood saw made very nice flush cuts for any overhanging treads, railings and balusters. Hand tools aren't fully obsolete, yet.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #112  
While new tools should be great i was telling a cousin about 1 we were using. First thing he starts off telling me about his 60v and i got to stop. It should be good for 400$ but what is really impressive in 2021 is the 50$ PC we bought a couple yrs ago with 2 batteries. Work most of a day on 1 battery screwing down pole barn sheeting.
I paid 150 for a Makita 9.6 whi h was great at the time but not as good as the PC from Walmart on sale. They made a 50$ drill back then but only thing it was good for was removing a few sheetmetal screws. Todays 50$ drill is a real working tool. We were gonna buy some new brand name stuff but not sure why.
10 yrs ago, maybe 5 i would have said the guys love the Ryobi class of tool were fos but its a different world. Lots of stuff we used to buy the best we are now using generic and some we actually like better.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #113  
Je pense que nous avons tous besoin d'une perforatrice dans notre boîte à outils !

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #114  
Haha. You aren't going to hand power a drill or grinder, etc.

I just built a nice finished set of stairs in my garage up to the attic room. My 20v DeWalt drill and impact, and cordless orbital sander were crucial tools for the job. But! I did discover that a classic old hand powered wood saw made very nice flush cuts for any overhanging treads, railings and balusters. Hand tools aren't fully obsolete, yet.
Back in the day, grinders were foot powered. You sit there pumping alternating pedals turning the belt. Grinding and a workout at the same time. Haha

1641728805864.png

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #117  
I went from DeWalt 18V tools to DeWalt 20V tools and the difference is great. The old 18V NiCad batteries do drain while sitting and discharge fairly quickly in use. The new 20V Lithium Ion batteries (still really 18V, but renamed so they're "different" sounding) can sit for months and have a full charge when you pick them up and use them. Their run time is a lot longer, especially with the brushless tools.

I only kept a couple of the 18V tools that I rarely use, and bought an adaptor to use them with the 20V batteries. A few 18V tools don't play well with the 20V battery adaptor due to clearance issues. The battery door on the little vacuum prevents using one, and the circular saw wouldn't cut to the full depth because the extra length of the adaptor makes the battery hit the wood at full depth.
I agree. The 20V batteries for my DeWalt drill and flashlight seem to last forever.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #118  
I bought a cheap set of Porter Cable 20V and they are much better than my 18V Dewalt.

I don't understand why most contractors don't start off by plugging in their batteries when the get to the job in the morning. When battery dies, switch it out with the one on the charger!

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #119  
I don't understand why most contractors don't start off by plugging in their batteries when the get to the job in the morning. When battery dies, switch it out with the one on the charger!
We once roofed a very large barn using 2 drills and 2 sets of batteries and swapped them out all day.
That was back in the days of 9.8 ni-cads.
Worked out just fine, perhaps cool weather helped when charging.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #120  
I agree. The 20V batteries for my DeWalt drill and flashlight seem to last forever.

I went from DeWalt 18V tools to DeWalt 20V tools and the difference is great. The old 18V NiCad batteries do drain while sitting and discharge fairly quickly in use. The new 20V Lithium Ion batteries (still really 18V, but renamed so they're "different" sounding) can sit for months and have a full charge when you pick them up and use them. Their run time is a lot longer, especially with the brushless tools.

I only kept a couple of the 18V tools that I rarely use, and bought an adaptor to use them with the 20V batteries. A few 18V tools don't play well with the 20V battery adaptor due to clearance issues. The battery door on the little vacuum prevents using one, and the circular saw wouldn't cut to the full depth because the extra length of the adaptor makes the battery hit the wood at full depth.

For awhile, DeWalt made a direct lithium replacement for their old 18V NiCd batteries but they have been discontinued and are hard to find.

I was lucky enough to buy several for my older tools which won't fit the new lithium battery adapter.