coolant change interval

/ coolant change interval #21  
I had a friend that did that to his Ford truck,,,, with the engine oil,,,
The truck was wore out at 220,000 miles,,, and burning a LOT of oil.
He figured he was money ahead not changing the oil,, he just added what it needed.

I'm too OCD for that. But not OCD enough to regularly change anti-freeze. I'm a mess..... :)

/ coolant change interval
well guess i can see your point of if it ain't broke.... but do like to inquire rather than repair. i keep my older vehicles/tractor rather than go for new.

this is just a maintenance question we all have to face at some point. yup, could go w/some high priced scheduled dealer maintenance or go for new vehicles, but would rather take care of what i have. & i find this forum very informative
best regards

/ coolant change interval #23  
well guess i can see your point of if it ain't broke.... but do like to inquire rather than repair. i keep my older vehicles/tractor rather than go for new.

this is just a maintenance question we all have to face at some point. yup, could go w/some high priced scheduled dealer maintenance or go for new vehicles, but would rather take care of what i have. & i find this forum very informative
best regards

I totally understand. Was now condemning at all. Just curious about documented proof of need from a source other than the manufacturer of the product. :)

I totally understand. Was now condemning at all. Just curious about documented proof of need from a source other than the manufacturer of the product. :)

yup good point. in regards to preventative maintenance that question always arises. have a good grasp w/motor oil etc changes for my needs, but never really know on the coolant other than the ball test that (as i understand) may not completely cover the condition other than temp protection. thanks for your input!

/ coolant change interval #25  
I've never changed anti-freeze just for the sake of changing it............ :confused3:

Give me some proven failures because of lack of changing. For example, my 17 year old, 220K mile truck with original anti-freeze. What pending doom am I facing? ;)

We have around 30 trucks/tractors/combines/Excavators some of which have had same antifreeze for almost 20 years . Only gets changed when hose or rad blows or is visibly dirty .

/ coolant change interval #26  
We have around 30 trucks/tractors/combines/Excavators some of which have had same antifreeze for almost 20 years . Only gets changed when hose or rad blows or is visibly dirty .

That's proof enough for me. :)

well good info. this is the kind of empirical evidence i was interested in. we always have the suggested dealer/manu theoretical recommendations, but no substitute for actual field experience. guess i'll extend my coolant changes....having said that, i don't discount adventure bob's note re: ph check in addition to the floating balls. thx for all responses

/ coolant change interval #28  
And you can often get away with that.
Some times you can't. I've seen several wet sleeve engines where the anti freeze was neglected have cavitation, where they had pin holes from the outside of the cylinder walls in.
Needed a complete engine over haul because of it.

/ coolant change interval #29  
And you can often get away with that.
Some times you can't. I've seen several wet sleeve engines where the anti freeze was neglected have cavitation, where they had pin holes from the outside of the cylinder walls in.
Needed a complete engine over haul because of it.

Please take no offense. Can you valid that with some confirmed documentation?

/ coolant change interval #30