coolant change interval

/ coolant change interval #11  
A PH test in addition to the specific gravity will give you a very accurate measure of your antifreeze condition. Remember on specific gravity that its achieved not only by the amount of glycol in the solution, but other chemicals as well, i.e. rust inhibitors etc. Specific gravity indicates the amount of chemicals in solution other than water. While on the "floaty ball tester" it has been dumbed down to freeze point for the avg consumer, specific gravity is extremely effective test for antifreeze condition. Add a PH test and your probably way more scientific than the avg joe.

/ coolant change interval #12  
In a related question, what does one do with the old antifreeze? The larger cities and towns in my state have an annual hazardous waste day at the dump where you can dispose of stuff like this, but you generally need a resident sticker. My town is too small and doesn't do them (even the dump is only open on Saturdays).
Do auto parts stores accept used a/f like they do used oil?

/ coolant change interval
A PH test in addition to the specific gravity will give you a very accurate measure of your antifreeze condition. Remember on specific gravity that its achieved not only by the amount of glycol in the solution, but other chemicals as well, i.e. rust inhibitors etc. Specific gravity indicates the amount of chemicals in solution other than water. While on the "floaty ball tester" it has been dumbed down to freeze point for the avg consumer, specific gravity is extremely effective test for antifreeze condition. Add a PH test and your probably way more scientific than the avg joe.

thanks for all your informative replies. adventure bob can you explain more about the PH test and where one might get those test materials. thanks again

/ coolant change interval #14  
In a related question, what does one do with the old antifreeze?

That stuff is like GOLD!! Save it, then dilute it,
put it in your tractor tires for additional weight. :thumbsup:

/ coolant change interval #15  
If you google coolant ph test strips you'll find about 100 onlines where they are anywhere from $15 to $35 depending on how many in a pack.

If you google coolant ph test strips you'll find about 100 onlines where they are anywhere from $15 to $35 depending on how many in a pack.

thanks on that. w/several vehicles & tractor handy to know

/ coolant change interval #17  
In a related question, what does one do with the old antifreeze? The larger cities and towns in my state have an annual hazardous waste day at the dump where you can dispose of stuff like this, but you generally need a resident sticker. My town is too small and doesn't do them (even the dump is only open on Saturdays).
Do auto parts stores accept used a/f like they do used oil?

Check with commercial truck shops. They will usually let you dump used coolant in their storage. I suppose it depends on the state, but many states require quick lube places and other lube service shops to take used oils and coolants.

ok. a last question on this. how does a PH strip test (or any another) benefit over the std floating ball test on existing coolant to determine time for change? yup, could go w/mileage or time since last changed, but just asking. & what is the acceptable PH test level count on that test on coolant? 7?

i know, i'm probably getting out of the realm of common sense on this, but just looking at better ways of determining when time to change besides looking at floating balls.... thx again

/ coolant change interval #19  
I've never changed anti-freeze just for the sake of changing it............ :confused3:

Give me some proven failures because of lack of changing. For example, my 17 year old, 220K mile truck with original anti-freeze. What pending doom am I facing? ;)

/ coolant change interval #20  
I've never changed anti-freeze just for the sake of changing it............ :confused3:

Give me some proven failures because of lack of changing. For example, my 17 year old, 220K mile truck with original anti-freeze. What pending doom am I facing? ;)

I had a friend that did that to his Ford truck,,,, with the engine oil,,,
The truck was wore out at 220,000 miles,,, and burning a LOT of oil.
He figured he was money ahead not changing the oil,, he just added what it needed.