Converting old thermostart to electric

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #12  
FWIW: Here is a Thermostart diagnosis, disassembly, and replacement. (On a slightly larger machine...)

All the best, Peter

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #13  
FWIW: Here is a Thermostart diagnosis, disassembly, and replacement. (On a slightly larger machine...)

All the best, Peter
FWIW the Thermostart portion of the video starts at the 4 minute point.

Slide-on vs screw electric connector is the only difference between versions and most will take either. They are cheap to replace. I see several under $15 on Ebay.

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #14  
FWIW the Thermostart portion of the video starts at the 4 minute point.

Slide-on vs screw electric connector is the only difference between versions and most will take either. They are cheap to replace. I see several under $15 on Ebay.
About $9 on Amazon if ordering the Ford 1000 Series tractor types. It's the same product. We pay a tad bit more for the Yanmar name, even in the aftermarket circles. I've already replaced mine last year with the Ford identical version.

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #15  
About $9 on Amazon if ordering the Ford 1000 Series tractor types. It's the same product. We pay a tad bit more for the Yanmar name, even in the aftermarket circles. I've already replaced mine last year with the Ford identical version.
Great! Amazon is the best source then.

Before posting I searched Amazon on 'Thermostart' and nothing at all was found. So I went to Ebay.

It was/is also used on the Perkins diesels in MF, and many other tractors and industrial engines. The device is a Perkins patent.

What does Ford call it?

Photo after I bought a new one at the local ThermoKing (reefer on semitrailer) dealer.
dscn5123thermostart-perkinsbox-jpg.68476

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #16  
Great! Amazon is the best source then.

Before posting I searched Amazon on 'Thermostart' and nothing at all was found. So I went to Ebay.

It was/is also used on the Perkins diesels in MF, and many other tractors and industrial engines. The device is a Perkins patent.

What does Ford call it?

Photo after I bought a new one at the local ThermoKing (reefer on semitrailer) dealer.
dscn5123thermostart-perkinsbox-jpg.68476
Ford calls it a Thermo-start air-intake heater or manifold heater.

I bought mine thru AI products (aka John Deere owned aftermarket co.) here:

It's listed on Amazon for $15 thru others now.

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #18  
The hard parts to find are the tubing lines and little reservoirs.

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #19  
Thermostart works fine if it works properly. My old big tractor was a beast to start. So I got two freeze plug heaters, a lower radiator hose heater, covered the hood with a blanket. Plug it up and it was hot in 30 minutes. I like cranking a warm engine, easier on the engine. Most wear happens on cold starts. I had thermostart too, but it was easy when warm, busted right off.