Converting old thermostart to electric

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #31  
I don't understand the counting to twenty when using the decompression feature. Maybe I'm missing something. I thought using the decompression feature was just to get the engine spinning easier so life is easier for the starter. At least that's what the manual for my YM2310 implies. Does spinning the engine longer and then letting go of the decompression knob help the engine start easier? Right now I use the thermostart and it certainly helps in cold weather. In warm weather the machine starts right up.
Thanks,
Eric
At least for me and my Yanmar it takes counting to 20 for the battery to get the decompressed engine up to the maximum RPM. It's been too long since I looked at the operating manual so I cannot recall what it says. I do very much like the idea of getting the oil going before I add fuel to the cylinders to start it. Also, it sounds a little like the air starter on B-61 Macks, the first tractor-trailers I every drove, and I suppose that brings back memories (sort of joking about this). I was very young, and so far as I know it's impossible to hit that air starter while driving by a fellow on a bicycle and have that fellow jump right off the bike.

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #32  
Hello! I was wondering if anyone had, and if they thought it was worth it to convert the thermostart to an all electric heater. I've started looking at something like:
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-DIH4-Diesel-Intake-Heater/dp/B01BTTZ8GG
or
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Mot...dp/B0052XIOCG/ref=psdc_15719731_t2_B01BTTZ8GG

I have emails out to sellers to check size dimensions to see if it would even fit.

I'm keeping my tractor in my shop this winter and it'll be heated to 40 degrees. Warmer than outside, but, still cold enough to need pre-heat.

Thanks!
Jon
Hello! I was wondering if anyone had, and if they thought it was worth it to convert the thermostart to an all electric heater. I've started looking at something like:
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-DIH4-Diesel-Intake-Heater/dp/B01BTTZ8GG
or
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Mot...dp/B0052XIOCG/ref=psdc_15719731_t2_B01BTTZ8GG

I have emails out to sellers to check size dimensions to see if it would even fit.

I'm keeping my tractor in my shop this winter and it'll be heated to 40 degrees. Warmer than outside, but, still cold enough to need pre-heat.

Thanks!
Jon
Install a engine heater I put one on my 226d Yanmar works great very easy to install fits into one of the freeze plugs in the engine block I just plug it in a half an hour before wanting to use the tractor which is parked outside in AL

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #33  
OK, I see. From your post it seemed like you cranked the engine for 20 seconds with the decompression knob pulled.
Eric
Since it's winter and the thermostart is talked about here, yet how does one look in action?

This is the BEST YT vid I've found and gives a very clear way to it's operation.

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #34  
Since it's winter and the thermostart is talked about here, yet how does one look in action?

This is the BEST YT vid I've found and gives a very clear way to it's operation.

And for those who want to add the electric grid heater on the intake, here's a DIY method. Pros and Cons to each, yet options are always handy to have.

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #35  
There is also this one showing the thermostart in situ.

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #36  
There is also this one showing the thermostart in situ.
Yeah, I watched mine not work in situ. Removing the air intake hose gives a person a direct view of the thermostart device. I watched all 3 heat up red hot. I watched 2 of them work for a few seconds, as far as letting diesel fuel flow and flame up. But the two that actually let the fuel flow only did so a couple times. Even trying to get the fuel to flow by blowing into a tube full of diesel connected to the thermostart only worked once and even then only for a second or two. I have come up with a solution. I bought a solenoid valve that is controlled by the wire that went to the original thermostart. I am now going to experiment using a punch and hammer to displace the little ball that is part of the valve in the new thermostart. The objective is to get the damn thing to flow some diesel. But only the correct amount. The solenoid valve will prevent dripping when the thermostart is not being used. So my tractor will work the way it did originally. I know, it's a lot of hassle. But after 3 thermostarts not working even though they all get plenty hot I'm sick of the situation so I'm doing something I know will work.
Eric

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #37  
Yeah, I watched mine not work in situ. Removing the air intake hose gives a person a direct view of the thermostart device. I watched all 3 heat up red hot. I watched 2 of them work for a few seconds, as far as letting diesel fuel flow and flame up. But the two that actually let the fuel flow only did so a couple times. Even trying to get the fuel to flow by blowing into a tube full of diesel connected to the thermostart only worked once and even then only for a second or two. I have come up with a solution. I bought a solenoid valve that is controlled by the wire that went to the original thermostart. I am now going to experiment using a punch and hammer to displace the little ball that is part of the valve in the new thermostart. The objective is to get the damn thing to flow some diesel. But only the correct amount. The solenoid valve will prevent dripping when the thermostart is not being used. So my tractor will work the way it did originally. I know, it's a lot of hassle. But after 3 thermostarts not working even though they all get plenty hot I'm sick of the situation so I'm doing something I know will work.
Eric
It must be frustrating.

Have you tried cleaning them, and the fuel line feeding them? (I like the punch idea, but I would be gentle so the bimetallic gizmo doesn't get compressed too hard.) Brake cleaner? Could they just be old and I need of replacement? They are mechanically very simple, so there isn't really much to go wrong.

I have no experience with it, but could they be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner?

All the best,

Peter

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #38  
Strange. I've bought two. One genuine Perkins (The patent owner) and one generic replica. Both fine.

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #39  
All brand new. All clean. I took one apart to see exactly how the valving works. The valve mechanism is a metal tube with a heating coil wrapped around it. This tube is threaded internally. There is a steel ball inside. This ball is pressed against an orifice by a set screw. This screw is adjusted and then spot welded so that it cannot move. When the coil heats the tube it expands lengthwise which allows the ball to fall away from the orifice. For some reason the balls in my 3 brand new thermostarts do not fall away from the orifice.
Eric

/ Converting old thermostart to electric #40  
All brand new. All clean. I took one apart to see exactly how the valving works. The valve mechanism is a metal tube with a heating coil wrapped around it. This tube is threaded internally. There is a steel ball inside. This ball is pressed against an orifice by a set screw. This screw is adjusted and then spot welded so that it cannot move. When the coil heats the tube it expands lengthwise which allows the ball to fall away from the orifice. For some reason the balls in my 3 brand new thermostarts do not fall away from the orifice.
Eric
Just like the video I posted. Nice.

I do like the heater grid element too. Yanmar Deere went this way from the US Series, and newer.