converting hand torch to machine torch?

/ converting hand torch to machine torch?
I have one of those roller guides that came with the torch. I am thinking to just go to TSC and see if i can find a weld in sprocket bushing to make a mount out of. Those bushings already have two set screws I can use to hold the torch so about all I would need to do is weld a tab to the bushing and bolt it to the tracktorch. Zip ties can hold the power cable up out of the way.

/ converting hand torch to machine torch? #12  
I went to the auto parts store thinking I would buy one of those remote starter riggs you use to bump the engine over with. I figured if i had to buy a switch, one of those would be just the trick. I fooled with it at the store for a few minutes before deciding I didnt like holding the trigger switch for more than a minute or two. I got to digging around in my old junk bins and found a push button switch. Held the button mashed for a minute and decided I didnt like that switch either. Dug a little deeper and and found a couple of toggle switches. One is just off/on and the other spring centered off. I am thinking about making a rig using the off/on so i dont have to hold down a switch. Not sure I like that ideal, but think I will give it a try. I have to make something to hold the torch body to the mount.
If you look around you might find a toggle switch that is momentary on one side and held on, on the other side.

That is:
on-off-on(momentary)

/ converting hand torch to machine torch? #13  
If you look around you might find a toggle switch that is momentary on one side and held on, on the other side. That is: on-off-on(momentary)

Do they make:
Off--Momentary on--On ?

Terry

Do they make:
Off--Momentary on--On ?

Terry

I dont know, but if they do, that would be the ticket. Since RadioShack went out of business around here, I dont have a decent place to shop for odd ball stuff. And I absolutely hate trying to find anything on McmasterCarr's website. I am going to see if I can get it to work with just the on/off switch first since I already have one. If it works to suit me, then I will look about ordering the off/on/on switch. Got to head down to the shop and measure the torch head to see what size bushing I need and then make a trip to TSC to buy the bushing. Shouldn take long to make a tab to hold the bushing and just bolt it to the torch holder. I need to make about 300inches of cuts in 1/2in plate. I can do that with the Oxy/acet, but why use up gas when I have the plasma torch collecting dust.

Found one, DPDT 3 Position on Off Momentary on Toggle Switch | eBay.

/ converting hand torch to machine torch? #15  
Do they make:
Off--Momentary on--On ?

Terry

Headlight high/low beam switch?

I once saw a project in an electronics book that showed how to use reed switched to make any switch action you wanted.

You could also use two switches together.

Made a little trip to TSC. I found a bushing that was a perfect fit . 1102151734.jpg. 1102151736.jpg I wanted to figure out a way to mount the plasma torch where I had my gas torch mounted. 1102151732.jpg. After looking at it, I decided to just turn the mount around and figure out a way to mount the plasma on the opposite side of the holder. 1102151739.jpg Right now the height adjustment is all the way down and the tip is setting on a piece of metal about 3/16 below the track rails. With the amount of adjustment on the holder, that should be more than enough to set torch height. Tomorrow, I will cut me a piece of plate to weld the bushing to and drill a couple of bolt holes to bolt the bushing to the frame. I looked for a on/off/momentary on switch but didnt have any luck finding one so I am just going to use the on/off switch I already have and maybe order the one on ebay later.

Last edited:
   / converting hand torch to machine torch? #17  
Digi-key Electronics on-line has 173 different On-Off-Momentary toggle switches.

No minimum order quantities, fast shipping. Page down and sort the results further by current capacity needed. I generally view 100 listings per page to make it easier to look at alternative. Also nice is that they have pin out and dimension drawings as PDF file to down load.

Might consider a small ABS box to mount and protect the switch & wiring

I plan on wiring the switch inside the plasma machine., I'll be holding the switch in my hand away from the torch when cutting. Probably use a 4 prong trailer plug so I can just plug in the remote when I need it or unplug it when using the plasma normal.
You did bring up a point, I wonder just what kind of current runs thru the trigger switch. I have a schematic, but I dont think it gives any voltage. I'll have to dig a little deeper to see what I can find out.

/ converting hand torch to machine torch? #19  
Most of the better plasma cutters have a 4T or trigger lock feature and they offer a hand pendant accessory that looks like a plasma torch handle kind of. You set the plasma to 4t and click the pendant on and click it off. They are about $40.00 and hook to the automation interface amphenol. Or, Some of the snow plow manufacturers can sell you a float switch for $35. momentary one direction and on the other. the on side is for float for the plow but it's hot and would work too if what you have is getting hot. Good Luck.

Made a practice cut today1105151410.jpg As you can see, it cut pretty smooth, but cut with a slight bevel. You can also see I about burnt up my thrown together bench. Things kind of got smokey. I cut the torch loose and rewelded the mount, thinking I had it straight, but it still cuts with a slight bevel, so I guess I will be cutting it loose one more time to try and get it right. I also figured out the wireing for the remote switch. Inside the machine there is a three wire plug. the wires are orange, blue and violet. I am pretty sure the orange wire is for the thermal switch inside the torch hande. Connecting the blue and violet wire will turn the torch on. I havent been able to source a on/off/momentary on switch locally, so i guess I will be ordering one. To make the practice cut, I used a set of vice grips to hold the switch. It works, but Not something I want to rely on. To much of an opportunity to grip the switch to hard and break it. I am also going to look for some thumb screws to hold the torch in the mount. Nothing like twisting with a long handle wrench to break something.

Need to ask, I am getting a pretty good amount of dross, is this because I am moving to slow or moving to fast, or maybe not enough air pressure, to much air pressure. Torch height is between 1/8 and 3/16.