converting hand torch to machine torch?

/ converting hand torch to machine torch? #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I have one of the older miller 625 plasma cutters, 220v only. I have been thinking about getting a machine torch for it so I can use it on my home made track torch. Miller is proud of there machine torches, but I have found this torch, P 80 Panasonic Plasma Cutting Torch Complete Straight Machine Head Body 12 Foot | eBay For a more reasonable price. I do want to keep the hand torch because the majority of my cutting is hand held, but If I can adapt this cheap torch to work with my machine, then I would consider it $65 well spent. Has anyone adapted one of these cheap machine torches to their machines and just how hard would it be to sawp back and forth between the two different style torches.

/ converting hand torch to machine torch? #2  
Sorry, not really an answer - this is probably the cheapest miller

miller4less.com

I looked into that for my PM45, Hypertherm is even prouder of their torches. Replacement hand OR machine torch for mine is $5-600 IIRC.

You might be better off (cheaper, anyway) building a cradle setup for your hand torch, I've seen a few of those done... Steve

/ converting hand torch to machine torch?
Well, the track torch is home made to use a hand held gas torch, it wouldnt take much to mount the plasma torch to it. The thing is the trigger on the torch has to be hand held. I am pretty sure I could wire in a remote for the trigger, just didnt want to but that would certainly be cheaper than paying $400++ for a real machine torch. From what I have found as far as miller's machine torch, its expensive and for this particular machine it means having to remove the covers to attach the torch. No big deal if I just wanted to dedicate the machine to track torch work, but I dont want to have to switch back and forth for every cutting job I might do. I have downloaded the wiring schematics and I might just wire in a remote switch I can plug and unplug for when I want to use the torch on the track.

/ converting hand torch to machine torch? #4  
I have a Miller 625, I LOVE IT!!
For those torch prices I would try to fabricate the nose piece like the 625 torch and then use the 625 consumables.
Then all you need is to connect air and electric from the machine to the fabricated part.

I like my 625 too. I have severed, aaah beaver knawed, 2in dia round rod with it. Does great gouging out old welds. It pretty much handles everything I want to cut. If I had a extra torch body, I would just make a pvc holder to put the guts into, but dont want to mess with the only cutting head I have. Buying enough parts to build a head would cost a bunch more than just buying one of those $65 torches. I am going to do some more searching and see if there is something out there a little more compatable with my current machine.

/ converting hand torch to machine torch? #6  
Do you have a way to control the height on this as it is cutting? Adapted a plasma on my old Linde burning machine and I'd have to babysit the height as is went along. Some plates with nasty residual stresses are going to warp up pretty fast.
For the cost of this I'd say go for it!

Do you have a way to control the height on this as it is cutting? Adapted a plasma on my old Linde burning machine and I'd have to babysit the height as is went along. Some plates with nasty residual stresses are going to warp up pretty fast.
For the cost of this I'd say go for it!

This is a very simple homemade track torch. Just angle iron riding on angle iron and using a 3/4 all thread rod attached to a drill to move it. No simple way to add a height control. I have decided for now to just add another switch to activate the torch and use my hand torch by clamping it to the same mount I made for my hand held o/a torch. One of these days I plan on buying a cnc plasma table and will probably upgrade plasma machines when I do. I can adjust the height of the torchbefre I start cutting, but wouldnt be any easy way to adjust once the torch is in motion. 1227141106a.jpg Here a pic of the track torch I plan on mounting the plasma to.

/ converting hand torch to machine torch? #8  
I did something similar to a LN7 wire feeder. Switch hooks up to machine,a plug,stake-ons whatever. A piece of cable, a rigid conduit hard 90 (easy to hold), and a SPST toggle switch mounted in the plate of the 90. Simple on/off switch.

I went to the auto parts store thinking I would buy one of those remote starter riggs you use to bump the engine over with. I figured if i had to buy a switch, one of those would be just the trick. I fooled with it at the store for a few minutes before deciding I didnt like holding the trigger switch for more than a minute or two. I got to digging around in my old junk bins and found a push button switch. Held the button mashed for a minute and decided I didnt like that switch either. Dug a little deeper and and found a couple of toggle switches. One is just off/on and the other spring centered off. I am thinking about making a rig using the off/on so i dont have to hold down a switch. Not sure I like that ideal, but think I will give it a try. I have to make something to hold the torch body to the mount.

/ converting hand torch to machine torch? #10  
Maybe something like the swivel ring mount with set screws on the store bought plasma circle cutting guide from Miller. That would allow your hand held plasma torch to swivel freely as it travelled without strain from the power cable.
Maybe...

Terry