Converting gas generator to Propane

/ Converting gas generator to Propane #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
I cannot justify the capital cost and operating cost of a whole house standby propane generator. I no longer wish to store 200+ gallons of gas and cycle through it every year to keep it "fresh".

I have a Honda EB11000 and I am considering converting it to propane. Has anyone done something like that and if so, how did it work out? I see kits for about $200-300. I like the Honda as it works great, even though it is larger than I need.

My other option is to sell the Honda and purchase a dual fuel unit. These cost about $1000 for 7-8KW and that is all the power I need.

/ Converting gas generator to Propane #2  
I suggest you look into consumption rates before converting.

I bought one of the cheap Duromax 10,000 watt (advertised) dual fuel generators 6 years ago. I tested fuel consumption with propane and gas before turning it over to my daughter. It consumed almost 6 lbs per hour with propane. On the initial run with one gallon of gas it ran 1 hour and 4 minutes. Both tests were performed at a constant 5400 watt resistive load. In actual use they were getting 10-12 hours on an 8 gallon tank of gas.

Last edited:
   / Converting gas generator to Propane #3  
You will lose a little power/kw with propane but otherwise the kits work well. Very little maintenance once they are set up.

/ Converting gas generator to Propane #4  
I suggest you look into consumption rates before converting.

I bought one of the cheap Duromax 1000 watt (advertised) dual fuel generators 6 years ago. I tested fuel consumption with propane and gas before turning it over to my daughter. It consumed almost 6 lbs per hour with propane. On the initial run with one gallon of gas it ran 1 hour and 4 minutes. Both tests were performed at a constant 5400 watt resistive load. In actual use they were getting 10-12 hours on an 8 gallon tank of gas.

So.... you got a steady 5400 watts out of a 1000 watt generator? no wonder it has a 8 gallon tank.
My little Honda EU1000I will run somewhere around or over 10hrs on a gallon in eco mode.
My EU2000I uses a bit more but not by much

/ Converting gas generator to Propane #5  
Propane is about 91,600BTU per liquid gallon, Gasoline is around 114,500 for summer gas winter is less.
So to produce the same hp it will take about 1 1/4 times more propane then gasoline.
Doing the conversion is not difficult and there are many kits available.
Some of the better ones will run dual regulators with the first suppling propane at a few pounds of pressure to the secondary which will be providing inches of water column pressure to the vapor carburetor.
Definitely a case of cheaper most likely isn't better.
Also be aware in cold weather a 20 or 30 pound cylinder or even the 100# may not have enough vaporization capacity to provide enough fuel to run a loaded engine, you may need a 100 gallon tank to have sufficient capacity.

/ Converting gas generator to Propane #6  
So.... you got a steady 5400 watts out of a 1000 watt generator? no wonder it has a 8 gallon tank.
My little Honda EU1000I will run somewhere around or over 10hrs on a gallon in eco mode.
My EU2000I uses a bit more but not by much

Edited: I left out a zero. DUH!

/ Converting gas generator to Propane
I should have added that I intend to connect it to the supply line from a 500 gallon tank that supplies my house. Vaporization should be ok, but I do get down below 0* many times.

/ Converting gas generator to Propane #9  
How much can you sell the Honda for? Seems like putting $300-400 into it when you can get a new one for $1000 does not make much sense. If you can sell it for $300 it is not that much more $ for a new unit.

Curious why are you storing 200 gallons of gasoline? Are lengthy power outages common?

/ Converting gas generator to Propane #10  
You won't get Honda quality, for $1,000.00

SR

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2017 INTERNATIONAL PROSTAR (A32908)
2017 INTERNATIONAL...
2005 Ford F-350 Pickup Truck (A33544)
2005 Ford F-350...
Ford F250 Engine (A33041)
Ford F250 Engine...
Bobcat 74"Heavy Duty Bucket (A32803)
Bobcat 74"Heavy...
2006 Ford F650 Crew Cab Mason Dump Truck *NO BUYERS PREMIUM* (A32932)
2006 Ford F650...
Harrington Electric  1-Ton Hoist (A33349)
Harrington...