Buying Advice Considering an early 70's 830

/ Considering an early 70's 830
Thanks for the additional input. He's looking to get around $3k for it, btw. He also has a Ford, maybe 2000? He said similar HP. But no power steering so that likely means my wife can't bush hog with it. She does most of that.

If we weren't about to spend all our money building a house we'd get a new MX. We were both looking at them independently.

/ Considering an early 70's 830 #12  
Non sync is what zebrafive described? Have to stop tractor to shift? Seems weird to start in 8th gear.

I used to drive an 1830 (Same as German 2030, but sold in Canada as 1830 to avoid confusion with US built 2030)

I believe this was just a bigger version of the German 830.

Trans was two sticks as described, 8 forward and 4 reverse.

Been at least 20 years for me, but shift pattern was:

Range
I II
R Park

Speed

1 4
2 3

You could certainly shift the speed lever on the move in high ranger if you double clutched it. I did some haulage with it and would shift 1-2-3-4 in high range up and down. No gear grinding.

Also did loader work with it, inline shift I range to R, leave speed in 4th and you had a basic shuttle (clutch needed)

Diff lock is on the left hand side and pedal had a lever so you could hold the diff lock down while using clutch pedal.

/ Considering an early 70's 830 #13  
Range is:

I
II R

If it has Park it is above II

I never tried double clutching

I had the "I" directly above the "R", but when posting it get moved to above the "II". GRRR!

/ Considering an early 70's 830 #14  
Range is:

I
II R

If it has Park it is above II

I never tried double clutching

I had the "I" directly above the "R", but when posting it get moved to above the "II". GRRR!

My memory was fuzzy on the range lever, I shifted F-R a bunch with the loader and I remembered the U pattern on the speed lever.

Think this was it:
1660765834677.png

1830 would have to stop to shift in low range unless rolling while shifting and got the revs right. Not usually the case off pavement. On the road it shifted easy.

/ Considering an early 70's 830 #15  
For $3000 I would snap it up. I have a 1530 and it's a beast.

Still considering it. I haven't gotten ahold of him lately. He's having some medical issues so it's all on his time.

Update. He's finally back to his old self and health. I visited last weekend and checked it out. Looks gtg except needs new front tires. I hope to pick it up in the next couple weeks.