Concrete tips requested... what do I need for small job?

/ Concrete tips requested... what do I need for small job? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I知 putting in a Mirafount waterer for horses. Everything is installed up tp forms which I値l be doing today.

I致e never worked with concrete. I致e read about it relatively well and understand the basics I壇 guess.

6 slab around a 12 vertical pipe for water access. Slab is 51 x 40 x 6 with the tube coming up flush to slab surface grade. Calculates to just over 7sqft of concrete I believe.

I知 not close to electricity, although I have an inverter for my truck which 杜ight run a small electric rental mixer. (Never used a mixer of any sort, but they are available locally. Or I have a barn about 1/8M away and could mix there, then transport somehow.

I would like to make this reasonably easy. It痴 a simple job, but I壇 like it to go well.

What are your recommendations for tools etc, for this job? To purchase.

What tips will make this better and go more smoothly?

What concrete would you use? Again, easy and good quality is far more important than saving a few $.

Any and all tips, thoughts, etc are requested. I壇 rather pay a little more for an easier and better outcome than 僧ake do but struggle.

/ Concrete tips requested... what do I need for small job? #2  
Something that small could be done by mixing in a wheelbarrow using quikrete in 60 or 80lb bags. Just haul everything to the site, mix, pour, finish. You'll need a board long enough to extend a foot or more over the forms to screed the concrete.

Screed - Wikipedia

/ Concrete tips requested... what do I need for small job? #3  
Trowels and an edge trimmer. Rental mixers may come with gas motors. Wheel barrow mix with shovel is probably less hassle than a mixer.

If using premixed bags of concrete add a little extra Portland cement.

Water on site to clean tools. Plastic to cover when troweling done.

/ Concrete tips requested... what do I need for small job? #4  
I find that in the mixer, it goes from too stiff to too runny with just a little difference in water. I learned to reserve a little mix in the bag to correct for too runny.

/ Concrete tips requested... what do I need for small job? #5  
That size is so small you can mix it up in wheel borrow easier than buy/renting/borrowing a mixer.... Just use sackrete and be sure to get enough bags to do the job.... Biggest thing for beginner is to get good finish on work (depending on what finish is desired)...

To figure how much concrete needed....

How to Calculate How Much Quikrete to Use | Home Guides | SF Gate.

Dale

/ Concrete tips requested... what do I need for small job? #6  
Never pour a yard of concrete without putting some fibers either stainless steel, of fiberglass.
Steel Fibers – Nycon

I poured a pad on soft beach sand uncompacted 10 years ago 4" and I've run 12,000lb PLUS equipment over it and zero cracks to date.

/ Concrete tips requested... what do I need for small job? #7  
These days there are several different sacked concrete mixes at the big box stores. Quick setting, postholes, several others. General purpose is what I would get for this.

/ Concrete tips requested... what do I need for small job? #8  
I've done small projects like that and mixed it in the FEL. Being VERY CAREFUL to wash it all out.

Mix enough to fill a small pail extra, and if you don't need it you've a small doorstop.
Like one of the links stated
All construction projects have a margin of error, so it is always best to purchase more concrete than you actually need. Always purchase at least two extra bags of concrete or up to 10 percent more than your calculations indicate. You can always return any unopened bags or save the concrete mix for future projects.
Don't do it if you expect a lot of rain.
If you think you are going to need a little extra time a little sugar slows the set. For a job that size I'd say less than a tablespoon but maybe some concrete expert can jump in.
Sugar delays the setting time of cement by up to 1.33 hours at dosage level of 0.06% by weight of cement. No effect on workability, compaction by the use of sugar as admixture in concrete. Higher long-term compressive strength can be achieved in concrete by the use of sugar as admixture.
/edit - emphasis on little!

/ Concrete tips requested... what do I need for small job? #9  
Be sure to wear a mask when mixing. I got a chemical pneumonia from concrete dust once. Most folks may think I'm overreacting but I was a really sick puppy from that project.

/ Concrete tips requested... what do I need for small job? #10  
In your initial post you quoted 7sqft. It's actually 7 cubic feet. 7 cubic feet is 25.9% of a cubic yard. A cubic yard of concrete weighs 4,050 pounds. 25.9% of 4050 pounds weighs 1049 pounds.

I don't think you'll want to do that in a wheel barrow. But I guess if you got plenty of patience and energy.

If you use 80lb bags of quickrete and assume you'll use 12 gallons of water which would weigh 100 pounds, you will need 12 bags of quickrete.

This is all doable. But you'll need your man pants on for sure. :)