Concrete placement bucket

/ Concrete placement bucket #1  

nyone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 851
Anyone ever cobble one of these type of buckets up with useing there current bucket as the base?

I have 18 1'x6.5ft sono tubes to fill and can only get a cement truck about 700ft away. It's about $1000 in concrete bags. Last time I checked 3.5yrd of concrete from the truck wasn't $280 a yard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221010-062832_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221010-062832_Samsung Internet.jpg
    888.3 KB · Views: 181
   / Concrete placement bucket #2  
Wet concrete is heavy. About 4050 pounds a yard. A yard is 27 cu ft. Not many small tractors can lift half that.
Concrete trucks charge a minimum, short load, and standby fees. Call your local batch plant.
Your going to need to make a pretty good road to haul liquid concrete in an open bucket without spilling a lot. Maybe you could just make that road good enough for the concrete truck?

/ Concrete placement bucket #3  
You really do not have many options when you're out away from everything. You'll find that "delivery costs" can often exceed the cost of the material. Sounds like your best bet is mixing it on site. The cement plants around here have a minimum delivery of 5 yards, but your area may be different.

Hauling a bucket of cement 700' is going to be very time consuming as well. How much time do you expect it will take? You probably want a retarder to be included if you have the batch plant deliver it. And, don't forget to include a 10% "wastage" in your planning. Your 3.5 yards seems a little short to me. You really do not want to run out of concrete while pouring, I've been on a job where the boss didn't order enough. You can always return extra bags.

And one more thing, if you haul it in a bucket the 700', most likely you'll end up with separation of the concrete - aggregate on the bottom cement in the middle and water on top. Which means it will need to be remixed at the site before pouring into the sonotubes.

/ Concrete placement bucket #4  
Instead of the bucket in your post, you'd be better off with one of these.

concrete mixer bucket.jpg

/ Concrete placement bucket
I dont need to haul half a yard at once. My tc40 has a 1500lb lift capacity at 20in. One sono tube will take roughly 5.5cuft and weight 700lbs, half that capacity.

I have alreaty ran up and down this road many time with the tractor and bucket loads of gravel, that's how I built it. A truck and a trailer also will make it up just fine. The issue is how steep the driveway is.

Yes my 3.5yrd estimate is short because that's what the quick calculator said and I would prob order another 1/2yrd and make a sidewalk or small slab form for the spare.

/ Concrete placement bucket
Instead of the bucket in your post, you'd be better off with one of these.

View attachment 765833
I sure would be if they where free how ever at $3k+ I would be paying someone to do the job before I would buy that and the bag concrete.

/ Concrete placement bucket #7  
What about a concrete buggie rental ?

I hadn't thought about the separation that will occur in transportation - that would require remixing before placing.
Good catch 3Ts

Will the batch company come out and look at your access? Maybe they can back up the road? If not, is cutting a better road an option?

/ Concrete placement bucket #8  
Those buckets are for doing small jobs like sidewalk slabs/blocks, where you are doing a small area at once. My local city has one of those buckets on a SS. I've seen it in use, but nothing bigger than doing sidewalk slabs. Most of the time, they just pull the mixer up and fill the square up and smooth it and move to the next.

Best option is to order a pallet or two of bagged concrete, get a cement mixer (tractor/gas/electric) and do it.

A few years ago I built a rather large patio that required 20x 4' deep 12" sonotubes. I bought bought two pallets of concrete mix, and bought a HF electric concrete mixer. That concrete mixer made the job go very, very quick, especially with another set of hands. I still have it and occasionally use it to pour small-medium slabs. Along with letting friends use it. It's a great machine, especially for how much I payed for it.

/ Concrete placement bucket #9  
I had similar circumstances, and decided to use bagged premix cement. I bought a full pallet at lumber store, had them put it in centre of my landscape trailer ( paid refundable deposit for wood pallet. ) drove truck and trailer as close as possible to my slab pour. Positioned electric conc mixer right beside trailer so handling bags was limited and down into cement mixer barrel. Then had tractor bucket positioned on other side of cement mixer so that down pour of mixer barrel went into lowered bucket, then drove tractor bucket to slab pour. Repeat , repeat, all done by myself. Pallet of cement bags and pour done in one morning. Limited handling of bags and travel.

/ Concrete placement bucket #10  
The issue is how steep the driveway is.
If it's too steep for a concrete truck, how much damage will you do to axles, seals, bearings, etc. hauling material?

As noted, consider renting a concrete buggy if they're available in your area. Maybe some kind of trailer behind your truck?

Also ask about a pump truck in your area. I was told they could pump 800', but I'm not sure how accurate that is under all conditions.

Four yards is the minimum for delivery here.

Personally, about 10-12 80# bags is all I can do in a day, no matter how close they are to the job.