Tires Compact Tractor Tires

/ Compact Tractor Tires #11  
If the hydraulic hoses don't leak and the tires don't leak, drive it a while and see how it does. There are thousands of tractors with dry rotted tires still being used daily. I have a mixture of non-toxic antifreeze in mine, but it doesn't get very cold in the winter in Texas either. My tires are tubeless and normally water rusts them a little, but they should still be servicable, if they won't seal, put tubes in them. After all, a 1974 tractor is nearly brand new. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Compact Tractor Tires #12  
Bill, just a suggestion for your consideration, you might want to consider a finish mower if you are just going to cut lawn grass. My rotary cutter tends to leave grass a little ragged. Not knowing your situation, I may be way out in left field.

/ Compact Tractor Tires #13  
Bill,

I filled my tires with water and anti freeze. Bird covered the process I followed. I bought a little drill operated pump for about $10 from am auto parts store. Used the pump to add the anti-freeze. I think the valve stem adapter was about $12 and I got mine at a tractor dealer. You hook a garden hose to the adapter to add the water. As you add water, you stop every now and then, and push a bleed button on the adapter to let out the built up air pressure. When the button lets out water instead of air you are filled 75%, if the valve stem is on top. My 12.4-16 R4's took about an hour. I didn't put any fill in my front tires. I think your question would be how much nontoxic anti freeze to use.
I put 2 gal. in each tire, based on a tire store's advice. Being in Georgia, our winters are not that bad. I would think you would need more.

/ Compact Tractor Tires #14  
Bill,
Some comments on mowing with the B6100D...

The "D" in your model number indicates a 4wd gear drive tractor (like my B7100D).

Like my B7100D, there are two shortcomings with the B6100D when it comes to mowing..."Live PTO" and "Position Control".

PTO: The B6100D does not have a live PTO, which means that every time you depress the clutch to change gears you simultaneously disengage the PTO driven equipment. When releasing the clutch you start the tractor and PTO equipment simultaneously. If you mow in wide open areas this is no problem. If you have to go back-and-forwards frequently or if you have to slow down to make turns then you will quickly become frustrated with the B6100D's mowing capablity.

Position Control: On most "rotary mowers" the cutting height is controlled by the 3-point lift arm height. The lift mechanism on the B6100D will allow you to position the lift arms anywhere you want (between full up and full down) but once you find a satisfactory cutting height you may have difficulty finding that position again once you have to change it; therefore, consistant cutting heights will be difficult. Older 3-point finish mowers are the same way but newer finish mowers have 4 wheels that control cutting height so the lack of position control is not a problem.

Lack of live PTO is the number one reason that I upgraded to the B2150 tractor. The lack of available FEL was the second significant reason. The lack of position control was inconvenient but would not have forced an upgrade for me. I will point out that my B7100 is such a good tractor that I haven't been able to force myself to get rid of it.

Kelvin

/ Compact Tractor Tires #15  
Check chains only cost about $25 and can be used to set the same position very accurately for a mower or other implement that does not have good position control.