Clear cutting half arsed, why?

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #71  
We bought a camp in 1997. 127 acres 40 of which were clear cut 6 months before purchase.
The land looked pretty much like the OPs photo.

The tree top pile rotted down over the years and was gone in about 15 years.

During the first two years, briars were so thick you could barely walk through them with hunting pants, but the deer loved it.

Eventually, the saplings took over and now there is a mix of various hardwoods about 25 foot tall. It was pretty interesting to watch this area evolve over the last 26 years.

Watched an old video of the land when the kids were home for Christmas. Wish I saved a pic to post.

We just had some of the land select cut this year for timber and deer management and that worked out great.

Bought a set of log grapples for the Kubota and having been cutting up the larger portions of the tree tops for firewood.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #72  
I have some depressions also that over the years I fill in. Here's a big 5ft at base I cut up, I see now where I need to move it around a bit sideways.
20240124_161536.jpg

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #73  
Sorry, thought I deleted that post.
But what I was going to say was that I've several "plots" (20 to 40 acre parcels) that were logged the same year and season. But due to rains did not get planted by the crews. But they were fairly well surrounded by other pine and regrew naturally and (except for the obvious row structure) are almost identical in growth. Now this wasn't hybrid superpine that almost grows as fast as bamboo.
The plots quickly established a low thick cover of pine which shaded out weeds and hardwoods.
Pine does regenerate well naturally when seed trees are adjacent enough to provide seed. And there is enough bare soil to establish seedlings.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #74  
A lot depends on the "intent" of the land,

I wanted reforest,, my state guy convinced me the sprouts from stumps would be the fastest growing trees,,
He was right,, I clear-cut 30 acres in 2018,, stumps are producing beautiful trees.

I asked about planting,, the state guy said that was throwing away $$$$$,,
natural regrowth would overpower anything planted,, due to soil pH, and other soil conditions.
Again, I think he was right..

As far as the pile, like you show,,
I have one pile, easily twice as big as a 2,000 sq ft ranch house. The pile is over 12 feet tall.
My logger asked if I wanted it spread, I said no,,

The wood is decaying nicely, some day it will be material that will enhance a garden.

Just my opinions,, Everyone has one,, this is just mine,,
Oh, yea, I also had them leave the corduroy road,, and a couple hundred yards of gravel road.

The logger wanted to bury it all for me,, I enjoy both roads.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #75  

I wanted reforest,, my state guy convinced me the sprouts from stumps would be the fastest growing trees,,
He was right,, I clear-cut 30 acres in 2018,, stumps are producing beautiful trees.

natural regrowth would overpower anything planted,, due to soil pH, and other soil conditions.

I have one pile, easily twice as big as a 2,000 sq ft ranch house. The pile is over 12 feet tall.

The wood is decaying nicely, some day it will be material that will enhance a garden.

Oh, yea, I also had them leave the corduroy road,, and a couple hundred yards of gravel road.

Do you have a way of turning the pile? After 6 years, a day with a 40 ton excavator would make that pile shrink as well as rot down faster. You might be surprised at how much the bottom has composted.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #76  
Here's the "view" from our front porch! Second picture is a close-up.
Our friends & neighbors spend lots of time on their back porch and their "view" of my mess!...but we're in the country & wouldn't trade it for anything. View attachment 848461View attachment 848462View attachment 848463
A small slash pile. I have one much larger than that. I was finally planning to burn it this winter, but I missed the first snow opportunity and now it’s too wet to burn.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #77  

Hardwoods will stump sprout and if the species composition is desirable species, that is how these forests are regenerated. But often there is a desire to focus on the most desirable species and what resprouts isn’t what the landowner wants to manage. And of course conifer species don’t resprout so they need to be planted.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #78  
Last edited:
   / Clear cutting half arsed, why? #79  
I’ve been messing around with cleaning up a 25 acre logging job. The loggers used the slash to make skidder roads and mashed tons of slash in the ground. It’s proved to be extremely difficult to do anything with. It’s hard enough to get all the wood pulled out of the ground and once you do it’s hard if not impossible to burn because it’s so dirty. Trucking it off site is out of the question. I’ve about decided to let nature take it’s course at this point.
You should have plenty of termites to help out in Tennessee.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #80  
If you have a pile in my area you can hear the pine bark beetles crunching away on dead pines from 15ft way on a quiet afternoon.