Clear cutting half arsed, why?

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #61  
That makes sense. Someone comes in, offers you the best bang for the buck on the money you can make on the trees taken down and you run with it.

Although I can be lazy at times, if you're prepared to do something, do it right the first time is something I've always held myself to.

That said, since I have no clue what I'm talking about, perhaps in 15 years after a clear cut, everything will look "fine".

I honestly don't know.
Post clear cutting response is highly variable by forest type. Some types will regenerate with desirable species by root or stump sprouting, while other types must regenerate from seed and must be planted.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #63  
If cut timber doesn't bring in much money, not certain why you'd clear it to begin with.
If it isn't worth anything now chances are it won't be worth anything later. Why would you want it taking up space which could be growing trees of value? Again, you don't know what the landowners objectives are. If it's owned by a person or corporation which holds it for the timber growing value they have achieved their objective.
What I see is a bunch of limbs and low quality wood which likely was trimmed off to create higher quality logs. It also looks like it was bulldozed to create that pile, rather than leave it scattered around the landing. I would guess it's been there a couple of years
At any rate the pile will be a lot smaller in 5 years.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #64  
Depending on what species you want to regenerate.
Sorry, thought I deleted that post.
But what I was going to say was that I've several "plots" (20 to 40 acre parcels) that were logged the same year and season. But due to rains did not get planted by the crews. But they were fairly well surrounded by other pine and regrew naturally and (except for the obvious row structure) are almost identical in growth. Now this wasn't hybrid superpine that almost grows as fast as bamboo.
The plots quickly established a low thick cover of pine which shaded out weeds and hardwoods.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #65  
The cost of making it look pretty is not cheap. A few days with a HydroAx and mulch head would make a huge difference. With canopy gone, I'm sure a huge amount of seedlings will sprout not that the sun is getting to them.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #66  
Here's the "view" from our front porch! Second picture is a close-up.
Our friends & neighbors spend lots of time on their back porch and their "view" of my mess!...but we're in the country & wouldn't trade it for anything.
20240124_151355.jpg
20240124_151406.jpg
20240124_160728.jpg

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #67  
   / Clear cutting half arsed, why? #68  
Oh heck that ain’t no mess. That’s just a typical pile of slash you see on every farm in the USA. That looks fine to me. Makes me feel right at home.
That's why the old family farms were such a great place to hunt; those piles were great places for rabbits, pheasants, and other small game to hide.

The NRCS pays people to put brush piles on their land just like that, to enhance habitat.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #69  
So, I'll argue it, just to argue :) Why spend money having it hauled, burnt, raked, ect, when you can set nature rot it away over a couple years, especially if the land isn't in active use. You'll keep the nutrients from the biomass, have better hunting as the new stuff comes up, And you keep the foresty money.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #70  
I can't really tell, but Pic#1, vs Pic#2. Is Pic#2 meant as what you wished they did, or is Pic#2 another example of a 'mess'? Pic#2, I'm placing a tree stand in my mind, where you have cover, woody plant matter, and green grass meeting at 3 points... I'd add a water source too, and happily harvest deer, turkey, and small game.