Clear cutting half arsed, why?

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #41  
The cost of cleaning up a mess like that is substantial. That’s the main reason people leave it like that. It doesn’t take that long for the tops to rot down and the brush to grow back enough to hide most of it.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #42  
I’d be at ~20 grand+ to remove that pile in MY area. Your area could be better or worse depending on how far the shavings mill or mulch mill is that takes junk wood.

I’m doing a job exactly like that right now.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #43  
I’d be at ~20 grand+ to remove that pile in MY area. Your area could be better or worse depending on how far the shavings mill or mulch mill is that takes junk wood.

I’ve been messing around with cleaning up a 25 acre logging job. The loggers used the slash to make skidder roads and mashed tons of slash in the ground. It’s proved to be extremely difficult to do anything with. It’s hard enough to get all the wood pulled out of the ground and once you do it’s hard if not impossible to burn because it’s so dirty. Trucking it off site is out of the question. I’ve about decided to let nature take it’s course at this point.

Last edited:
   / Clear cutting half arsed, why? #44  
I’ve been messing around with cleaning up a 25 acre logging job. The loggers used the slash to make skidder roads and mashed tons of slash in the ground. It’s proved to be extremely difficult to do anything with. It’s hard enough to get all the wood pulled out of the ground and once you do it’s hard if not impossible to burn because it’s so dirty. Truck is it off site is out of the question. I’ve about decided to let nature take it’s course at this point.

Ripper Tooth on back of dozer?

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #45  
Ripper Tooth on back of dozer?

I think I’d have better luck with a rake on the front of the dozer. I’ve got a D5 and a D3. Getting a rake on one or both of them is on my to do list. I bought a 955 loader with a brush rake but when it got delivered the rake didn’t fit. I didn’t like the 955 anyway so rather then mess with refitting it I just sold it. The other problem is the ground is so rough I can’t even drive the dozer through it. I’m going to have to go through with an excavator and pull all the stumps and pile the biggest piece of slash before the dozer can do anything.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #46  
He may be planning to plant pine trees, I don't know about today but several years ago I had 3,000 pines planted by a forestry service (10 Latinos 1 1/2 days) for less than $300. Then again he may just let nature take its course and 15/20 years it will grow back.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #47  
I’ve been messing around with cleaning up a 25 acre logging job. The loggers used the slash to make skidder roads and mashed tons of slash in the ground. It’s proved to be extremely difficult to do anything with. It’s hard enough to get all the wood pulled out of the ground and once you do it’s hard if not impossible to burn because it’s so dirty. Truck is it off site is out of the question. I’ve about decided to let nature take it’s course at this point.
There is a several hundred acre tract near me that was treated the same, What were those roads called? Corduroy?

The owner that contracted the cut expressed his disappointment with the results, but welcomes my recreational use of the area. It's tough going on the mountain bicycle, not bad walking, but great fun on snow shoes, even if a few steep spots. The deer LOVE it!

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #48  
While it's ugly the pile will rot down. Not knowing anything about the landowner it's hard to say what their plans are. I know there is a LOT of commercial land down there, it could be that the owner is going to plant. People who own 50 or 100 acres look at it differently than somebody who owns thousands, and have it strictly to grow and cut wood.
I would have liked to see it spread back out to rot down faster but if they do intend to plant, debris is a nightmare.
We don't plant up here, it's much easier to get them to come back naturally.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #49  
Your land, you get to do with it what you want, I get it...

That said, this has been bugging me. See images below.

This has been this way for over a year now.

You want to sell wood off your property, I get it. That said, why would you have it look like a nuclear blast and looking like crap after the company took all the wood they wanted and just left the "scraps" sitting on the property?

I'm guessing you get less back if they actually have to pull stumps and take the wood out, but wouldn't the property value increase proportionately if it was ready to build on? As is looking like crap, it's not like you're going to do anything with the land.

If it were my land, it would just drive me bat crap crazy looking like a dump.

View attachment 848187View attachment 848188
This type of outcome is common when a land owner sells timber without a forester developing a forest management plan and timber sale contract specs. This is probably the outcome of a standard logger spec sale contract. Best advice is to hire a consulting forester to assist with timber management issues and sales, or at least contact your state forestry office. Many states have best management practices requirements for private land timber sales, but many don’t. However, like Jstpassng said, this project may not be complete. There may be reforestation plans in the near future. In the Rocky Mountain west, we would either lop and scatter and broadcast burn the slash, or we would make smaller piles and burn them in the winter.

Last edited:
   / Clear cutting half arsed, why?

Then the question becomes if it costing 20k to clear it up, what was the profit for the timber?

I don't know, but I would think the timber sale would exceed the clearing up process?

Again, never "cleared" a buttload of trees off any property, but I would think if the known goal was to clear the land after the removal of the timber, it would be easier while you're actually clearing the timber and not after the fact. Don't know what I'm talking about, thus the stupid questions.

Again, you're property, you have the right to with it what you want, I understand that.