Clear cutting half arsed, why?

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #11  
Do you guys allow slash burning? Cover the pile to keep it dry. Then after a couple of good rain days torch it. It will be a bit of a pain if there is dirt and stumps in the pile, but with even that the dirt can be knocked out and the pile can be reburnt.

At least what we call clear cutting here is very different. Couple hundred acres, knock down everything. Slash burn quite a bit, but leaving some down wood is OK. Stumps? In some places one can still find spring board stumps that are over a hundred years old.
Then replant with more trees.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #12  
I don’t know about you, but I actually take some pride in the way my property looks.

No different than having trash sitting outside your home IMO.

But you’re probably right, somebody who didn’t have to work for it, but inherited it, and can afford it, and doesn’t even realize it.

Yeah, I wouldn’t leave that mess either, but you come across “unrealistic” (putting it nicely) if you expect other people to agree with your vision of what looks nice.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #13  
But you’re probably right, somebody who didn’t have to work for it, but inherited it, and can afford it, and doesn’t even realize it.

Or they are broke, got taken advantage of by the loggers and don't have the ability to do the clean up themselves.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #14  
It may be different in your area but around here a cutover like that will look vastly different in 5 years. Besides the pile of cutoffs, the tops and slash will have settled and new growth will over take everything. Also, the slash left on the ground protects new growth from browsing deer and creates protective cover/habitat for small critters.
When I see things like this I see biodiversity.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #15  
From the picture, it looks like there's a lot of firewood in there. If I had a pile like that I would work the firewood out of it and burn the rest. A year later it would look like it hadn't been logged.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #16  
Looks pretty normal to me, in 5-10 years everything will be growing back nicely.
if you would like to have the leftovers just ask they might be willing to let you have it.
Have you ever talked to the owner ?

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #17  
We had a few acres of woods logged a few years back. Some trees left to provide seedings on the land, but the trash was left where it was. Sure, I could have paid a few thousand to have it pushed up and then later burnt it but why? Seriously, why? It was not in the open as this land is, still hidden by standing timber. Still, it rots back into the ground providing nutrients. It also provides cover for the wildlife there.
The other logging I have been involved with the trees cut at my in laws house and other family house I piled it and burnt it as it would distract from the buildings and also a fire threat for the buildings. Seriously here most trees rot quicker than many think say a couple of years unless decent log, but our rains really do push rotting rather quick on down wood. I have stacked trees of varying diameter and come back to them in about two years and amazed how much rotting has taken place.

I do agree the debris can look bad, but it really depends on the location, type of cutting and other factors.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #18  
Look at it this way. You are very fortunate to be able to have time to complain about things that don't matter at all! Like someone else said 5 years it's composted an regrown.

(And I'm very fortunate to have time to read it and make a response that probably isn't very helpful)

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #19  
Your land, you get to do with it what you want, I get it...

That said, this has been bugging me. See images below.

This has been this way for over a year now.

You want to sell wood off your property, I get it. That said, why would you have it look like a nuclear blast and looking like crap after the company took all the wood they wanted and just left the "scraps" sitting on the property?

I'm guessing you get less back if they actually have to pull stumps and take the wood out, but wouldn't the property value increase proportionately if it was ready to build on? As is looking like crap, it's not like you're going to do anything with the land.

If it were my land, it would just drive me bat crap crazy looking like a dump.

View attachment 848187View attachment 848188
How did you get pictures of my back 70 acres? :)
That seems to be normal practice in northeast Mississippi.
Leaves good cover for the small animals, rabbits seem to love it. Like others wrote it rots fast.
Then after just a little bit of time they plant quick growing pine and it hides the piles in about 5 years. Or natural regeneration reseed and it's gone in 7 years or less with no effort.

/ Clear cutting half arsed, why? #20  
I have been logging my 50 acre woodland for 30+ years and have left most of the slash on the ground cut down to 3 or 4 feet deep. After a few seasons of snow, rain and dry, everything is pretty much on the ground and starting to rot and the old stuff has dissolved back into soil. Lately I have been pulling out the pulp logs and leaving far less on the ground.