Grading Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . .

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #31  
I had to build a 8’ deer fence around my garden and orchard.
I haven't done it yet. This is the first time in well over a decade that I've had deer around, but they found me this year. Two fruit trees and my peas are gone so far. I have a 3 joule fence charger which runs off 12 volts, but it's going to take a lot of posts to go around everything. 1D088223-4383-42B3-9380-E1FACF13529B.jpeg

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #32  
I haven't done it yet. This is the first time in well over a decade that I've had deer around, but they found me this year. Two fruit trees and my peas are gone so far. I have a 3 joule fence charger which runs off 12 volts, but it's going to take a lot of posts to go around everything.View attachment 751872
Back when you get it, before it was outlawed, we would wrap a rag around a stake and soak the rag with creosote and place then 30-50 feet apart. Deer would not cross the line to get into the garden.

Perhaps it is time to start using the crop damage permit and to hang some venison up.

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #33  
Back when you get it, before it was outlawed, we would wrap a rag around a stake and soak the rag with creosote and place then 30-50 feet apart. Deer would not cross the line to get into the garden.

Perhaps it is time to start using the crop damage permit and to hang some venison up.
They don't allow that for home gardens. I found that out when 40 turkeys showed up and picked the 200 lbs of rye seed I sowed clean.

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . .

There are some really foul smelling concoctions sold by "natural" garden supply outfits made from rotten eggs and some other stuff that was pretty effective.

Forget the name, but tried one once, years ago around the house on some ornamental plants they loved. Stank so bad had to keep the windows closed. And needed to reapply once it rained.

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #35  
I haven't done it yet. This is the first time in well over a decade that I've had deer around, but they found me this year. Two fruit trees and my peas are gone so far. I have a 3 joule fence charger which runs off 12 volts, but it's going to take a lot of posts to go around everything.View attachment 751872
Good luck with that. I tried motion activated sprinklers, electric fencing, baited electric fencing, and double electric fencing. Nothing worked. Finally I gave up and built an 8’ field fence. That worked.

Attachments

• 2164CD59-4229-44EE-9DAF-398C3D129B37.jpeg
    2164CD59-4229-44EE-9DAF-398C3D129B37.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
  • 380AD182-65E3-4D5D-B40A-B80145FCE2F0.jpeg
    380AD182-65E3-4D5D-B40A-B80145FCE2F0.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
   / Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #36  
They don't allow that for home gardens. I found that out when 40 turkeys showed up and picked the 200 lbs of rye seed I sowed clean.
I don't know the rules for NY, but in NC any land in excess of 10 acres is titled as farmland unless declared otherwise. Rural areas have minimal laws applied and are one of the reasons I moved from CT to NC & TN. I attached pic of wild turkeys that don't seem to care I am 20 feet from them BUT they all must watch the calendar since they dissapear just before Thanksgiving. I counted more than 20 that flew in for breakfast.

Attachments

• IMAG0732.jpg
    IMAG0732.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
   / Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #37  
There are some really foul smelling concoctions sold by "natural" garden supply outfits made from rotten eggs and some other stuff that was pretty effective.

Forget the name, but tried one once, years ago around the house on some ornamental plants they loved. Stank so bad had to keep the windows closed. And needed to reapply once it rained.

mercaptan may be an alternative???

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #38  
Good luck with that. I tried motion activated sprinklers, electric fencing, baited electric fencing, and double electric fencing. Nothing worked. Finally I gave up and built an 8’ field fence. That worked.
I have some good “fencing” that will keep those cute button bucks from the first photo at bay. If I’m not mistaken it’s pronounced .308 and 30-30. Usually only takes one try and they won’t ever bother coming back. We have that problem on occasion, but most of ours have grown wise over the years. Although there is that occasional piece of white “tail” that will get them active during the day.

CE6417DA-01EF-4F45-87F4-BC393B245370.jpeg

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #39  
I doubt 2 ft will keep the deer out, but, gives me a potential use for those old steel sheds I need to tear down. Might be too thin for the job.
I used black deer netting mounted on pvc pipe to keep deer out.

/ Clean up and grade (?) a wooded lot with Loads-A-Rocks . . . #40  
I have large piles of topsoil piled up after scraping the topsoil off a building site a few years ago. This topsoil is full of rocks and I am using the topsoil for ground preparation around another site on the ranch. I estimate the unsifted 'dirt' is about 30+% rocks ranging from 3/4 inches to more than 1 foot in diameter.

I had seen a number of the slanted racks for separating the rocks from the soil but it required me to weld up a frame and attach a screen(s) to it to separate. Instead what I did was use some old 2x10's I had laying around, built two frames that I sandwiched one on top of the other with a small overlap (the smaller frame frame is on the bottom with a small overlap) and plywood corner triangular braces for strength. Between the two boxes I attached some bull wire (for strength) and covered it with hardware cloth . The larger frame becomes the dumping box, the bottom is really just to support the wire screens and to get a gap under the top frame and the grade. The whole contraption is about 8 feet by 3 feet and about two boards tall less overlap,

To use the contraption I fill the top compartment with my FEL from my JD 5075 and then I pick up the box contraption with my bobcat fitted with forks. I bounce the boxes up and down with the bobcat and after it just has rocks remaining I go dump the rocks in a big pile by tipping the box contraption. After about 3-4 loads of dirt/rocks I scoop up the sifted dirt and move it the final destination. I can do about 14-20 FEL loads of dirt an hour this way. Cost me nothing in materials as it was all surplus stuff from around the ranch. The sifted dirt is virtually rock free and quite usable for the garden/lawn area.